“A little out of the way but a great spot to eat if you are in the area”

Oxford Blue Smokehouse
Ranked #131 of 647 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Healthy
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Authentic American Smokehouse serving homemade burgers, tender steaks and a wide range of meat smoked from 12 - 24 hours. With a fully stocked bar, a variety of cocktails, a fridge full of American bottled beers and even more ales, lagers and ciders on tap, along with many more mocktails, milkshakes and massive challenges; there's nowhere better to release your inner carnivore. Herbivores however, are also both welcome and well catered to, with Chef's Specials, burgers and the best Mac & Cheese in Oxford.
Reviewed August 15, 2014

Our accommodation was just down the street so it was very convenient. It was quiet (perhaps due to when we ate), clean and nicely decorated. Being summer we sat out back in a lovely patio area. The food had a slight middle eastern flair and was well prepared. Both the waiter and the chef came to ask how we liked it. We did. At the time they were offering free appetizers for each round ordered. Very good deal.

Reviewed August 9, 2014

Came by with some friends, was a bit of disappoint in the start, they have no lagers or ales on draft, some of my mates left, but i have to tell, the tapas selection was amazing.

We have a selection of tapas in a large wood plate, everything there was tasty and nice, the wine is also amazing, and has a reasonable price. The service was also impeccable and charming. I will definitely come back.

1  Thank Rob P
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Lovely little pub. Peacful and quiet garden, beautiful in the sun! Staff were very friendly, attentive and welcoming.

My partner and I both had the pork belly roast. Delicious melt in the mouth pork and veggies! Could not fault it!Massive compliments to the new chef :) We also had a homemade chocolate cake and panacota. The chocolate cake reminded me of eating my favourite box of chocolates, I could eat it all day! The panacota was faultless as well :)

I would highly recommend this place to anyone. Will definitely be coming back with friends and family.

Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

This place is truly awful, seriously no beer, food that you expect at a beer festival...if I want a floury bap and wilted tomato with the desert burger I'll head to the Bognor Regis steam fair....I'm not being harsh, they should close the doors and rethink as the general public do not enjoy being ripped off.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

We visited the Oxford Blue last Sunday for lunch with friends and had truly one of the worst dining experiences I have ever had the misfortune to have.

Oxford Blue has been taken over by a new team including a new chef who really cannot cook. We arrived around lunchtime and there were very few people around. There were four of us and during our time there only one other group of people arrived. Yet it took over an hour for our food to arrive and when it did, it was terrible!

I ordered the vegetarian platter which at £10.50 is not cheap! For that, I got a tablespoon of spinach, a very small tub of hummus (cold not warm as the menu promised), four (yes, four) deep-fried artichokes, two very small pieces of grilled halloumi and about one teaspoon of caponata. Oh yes, and a couple of lettuce leaves pretending to be salad. It was a complete joke! I wouldn't have settled for that as a starter let alone as a main course costing £10.50. My partner's blue cheese and spinach gnocchi (again about £10) was a large plate of so-so gnocchi drowning in cream (no blue cheese to be found) with a few small pieces of spinach.

After some discussion with the staff (language was a problem as was comprehension that these meals were just not up to scratch), we returned both and after 20 minute got back my dish now with two small pieces of cheese and some pickles and my partners had some semblance of blue cheese but not especially enticing.

Eventually, we got our bill more than halved and left. This "restaurant" (it truly does not deserve that signifier) is terrible - the new chef cannot cook, the staff are pretty useless, and there's no atmosphere. While we were there, there was only one other table ordering food, and like us, they waited over an hour for food.

Eat here at your peril!