“Looks can be deceiving”

Oxford Blue Smokehouse
Ranked #128 of 625 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Authentic American Smokehouse serving homemade burgers, tender steaks and a wide range of meat smoked from 12 - 24 hours. With a fully stocked bar, a variety of cocktails, a fridge full of American bottled beers and even more ales, lagers and ciders on tap, along with many more mocktails, milkshakes and massive challenges; there's nowhere better to release your inner carnivore. Herbivores however, are also both welcome and well catered to, with Chef's Specials, burgers and the best Mac & Cheese in Oxford.
Abingdon, United Kingdom
“Looks can be deceiving”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

We had a wonderful meal on a Monday night. The food was truly outstanding in a very relaxed atmosphere.
With the chabby chic interior you dont expect the high quality food this pub dishes out, absolutely fantastic.
We would highly recommend and look forward to visiting again.

• Visited April 2013
ChloeOmissi, Manager at Oxford Blue Smokehouse, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for the kind words, we're glad you liked what you found behind our shabby chic facade! See you again soon!

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“AMAZING FOOD - how is this place not busier?!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

Have had lunch at The Oxford Blue twice now and am absolutely amazed that this place is not busier. Each time it was nearly empty which is such a shame as the food is really, really tasty. Perhaps because it's tucked away a bit off Cowley Road that people don't find it? Either way, DO visit. Seriously, do: nice service and venue, and food that's well above your average pub grub. I'd also rate it higher than the Magdalen Arms or Rusty Bicycle which are also good foody pubs in the same-ish area, but The Oxford Blue is in my opinion definitely better than either in terms of service, comfort, value, and quality of food.

Only minor point of improvement I'd say is that bread portion with pate and charcuterie platter could be larger. But that's a minor point and I will definitely be back to sample other things off the menu as well.

Thanks for the tasty meals!!

• Visited March 2013
Service, comfort, value, and quality of food are our top priorities at The Blue! Thank you for the great review. Our lunch service is certainly starting to pick up - we're open from noon at the weekends with full Sunday lunch served from 1pm on Sundays as well as our full a la carte menu and a selection of specials so it's definitely worth popping in! Thank you for helping to spread the word about our weekend lunches and we look forward to welcoming you again soon!
Oh and I'll see what I can do about the bread! :)
“Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

I’ve eaten here a couple of times now and the experience on both occasions was nothing short of fantastic. The refit has been stylishly done with some quirky decorative touches. The beer is well kept and the staff are friendly and knowledgeable. But it’s the food that really makes this place stand out from the crowd – a thoughtful menu with some really innovative touches, but which remains grounded in fresh produce delivered to perfection. Excellent wine pairings too – especially the Baron de Badasiere Picpoul de Pinet. I would recommend the Korean lamb or the cleverly-named Bannister Burger, both are outstanding. Keep it up Oxford Blue!

• Visited April 2013
Thank you dampse for the shining review!
The Picpoul is one of my personal favourites too but you must come back soon for a look at our new spring/summer wine list and a la carte menu - we're getting summery with Sangria and Pimms pitchers in the garden as well. Bliss!
Witney, United Kingdom
“Avoid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

we went on a Sunday evening using the Jack FM vouchers, but the food was terrible! The Lamb shank was very tough and the roast pork was barely edible, and we paid £70 for the 'pleasure'... definitely a place to avoid!

• Visited April 2013
I'm sorry for your disappointing experience, thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. The lamb shank and roast pork are both very popular and much loved dishes so I have no idea what went wrong on your visit but please accept my apologies. If any thing like this should happen in future please do say something to a member of staff as we hate for anyone to leave disappointed.
London, United Kingdom
“Chef's Got Black Fingernails!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

The only reason we went to this pub was to check out the East Oxford area and as I had purchased an "In Oxford" voucher ahead of the visit. Had I not had the voucher - I would have walked out, when I saw the chef's black finger nails before ordering our food. Disgusting! Infection control nil points. We were seated next to the kitchen and the view did not look high on the cleanliness side of things. The ladies loos were grubby and the men's toilets were lacking in paper hand towels. They tried to charge us extra for cheese on the burgers which wasn't indicated on the menu. I queried this. This was deducted. Then they told me my voucher was worth £15 when in fact it was worth £30. They did eventually concede it was worth £30. Deserts were very expensive. We chose to get ours elsewhere and headed to Jericho. Won't return. Food poor.

• Visited April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review The Oxford Blue, I'm truly sorry to hear your visit left a bad taste in your mouth.
I have never known the kitchen team to be anything other than meticulously clean and tidy so am very surprised to hear you saw a chef with black fingernails. Perhaps he was preparing some of our fresh veg!
I believe there was a large 18th birthday party dining in the back room that evening and while I know this is no excuse for shoddiness it may go some way to account for the untidy bathrooms and lack of hand towels - we will certainly endeavour to keep a closer eye on this in future.

The extra charge for cheese or bacon on the burger is standard, as it is in most places, but this should be made clear on the menu. Our beautiful new spring/summer menu is launching shortly and we have made sure the prices are clear and straightforward.
Lastly, I can only apologise again for the disappointment, I do hope you decide to give us another chance so we can put things right.
Thank you.