“Avoid”

Oxford Blue Smokehouse
Ranked #143 of 628 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Authentic American Smokehouse serving homemade burgers, tender steaks and a wide range of meat smoked from 12 - 24 hours. With a fully stocked bar, a variety of cocktails, a fridge full of American bottled beers and even more ales, lagers and ciders on tap, along with many more mocktails, milkshakes and massive challenges; there's nowhere better to release your inner carnivore. Herbivores however, are also both welcome and well catered to, with Chef's Specials, burgers and the best Mac & Cheese in Oxford.
Witney, United Kingdom
“Avoid”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

we went on a Sunday evening using the Jack FM vouchers, but the food was terrible! The Lamb shank was very tough and the roast pork was barely edible, and we paid £70 for the 'pleasure'... definitely a place to avoid!

• Visited April 2013
ChloeOmissi, Manager at Oxford Blue Smokehouse, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
I'm sorry for your disappointing experience, thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. The lamb shank and roast pork are both very popular and much loved dishes so I have no idea what went wrong on your visit but please accept my apologies. If any thing like this should happen in future please do say something to a member of staff as we hate for anyone to leave disappointed.

London, United Kingdom
“Chef's Got Black Fingernails!”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

The only reason we went to this pub was to check out the East Oxford area and as I had purchased an "In Oxford" voucher ahead of the visit. Had I not had the voucher - I would have walked out, when I saw the chef's black finger nails before ordering our food. Disgusting! Infection control nil points. We were seated next to the kitchen and the view did not look high on the cleanliness side of things. The ladies loos were grubby and the men's toilets were lacking in paper hand towels. They tried to charge us extra for cheese on the burgers which wasn't indicated on the menu. I queried this. This was deducted. Then they told me my voucher was worth £15 when in fact it was worth £30. They did eventually concede it was worth £30. Deserts were very expensive. We chose to get ours elsewhere and headed to Jericho. Won't return. Food poor.

• Visited April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review The Oxford Blue, I'm truly sorry to hear your visit left a bad taste in your mouth.
I have never known the kitchen team to be anything other than meticulously clean and tidy so am very surprised to hear you saw a chef with black fingernails. Perhaps he was preparing some of our fresh veg!
I believe there was a large 18th birthday party dining in the back room that evening and while I know this is no excuse for shoddiness it may go some way to account for the untidy bathrooms and lack of hand towels - we will certainly endeavour to keep a closer eye on this in future.

The extra charge for cheese or bacon on the burger is standard, as it is in most places, but this should be made clear on the menu. Our beautiful new spring/summer menu is launching shortly and we have made sure the prices are clear and straightforward.
Lastly, I can only apologise again for the disappointment, I do hope you decide to give us another chance so we can put things right.
Thank you.
London, United Kingdom
“Dry Burgers, nice chips”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We went here on recommendation, but the management has changed and it is now a more high end gastro pub.

Gave it a try anyway. We had the burger, and a meat platter. The platter was lovely, if a little on the pricey side (£14ish).

The burger was a bit dry, and nothing particularly special. Charging extra for cheese / bacon was not well received.

Service good and a nice range of drinks.

Visited December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of The Oxford Blue. The ownership did indeed change hands about a year and a half ago and some people are still a bit surprised at what they find, especially if they come in expecting a sports pub, so we're glad you gave us a try!

I'm happy to hear you received good service and liked our drinks menu - we're expanding that even further in the near future with pitchers and cocktails for the summer months so do come back and sample them! Perfect with a sharing platter like the one you enjoyed last time!
Hope to see you at The Blue again soon!
Oxford, United Kingdom
“We love it ! ..... but”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We have dined as a couple and as a family 4 or 5 times in the last 12 months. Food always very good and staff go out of their way to make you feel welcome. We like the shabby chic decor. Duck liver parfait, Bannister Burger and Lamb shank were all top notch. Desserts are to die for ! Excellent beer (Scholar) was reasonably priced @ £3.50, but £7 for a large glass of Rioja was enough to have me searching for alternative dining out options.

• Visited February 2013
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Good quality pub food with a top notch dessert!!!!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I went for an evening meal here in March. The pub is what I would describe as 'old style' with a shabby chic twist. Lots of local brews on tap which kept hubby pleased. The food was of a very good standard, especially the chocolate cake dessert which was quite fondant like and really yummy!!!! One thing to know is that the pub does not have its own car park therefore it is best to park on Iffley Road.

Visited March 2013
ChloeOmissi, Manager at Oxford Blue Smokehouse, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for reviewing The Blue! So glad to hear you loved the chocolate cake- it's a personal favourite of mine too! Parking is a bit of a nightmare at times I admit, with only a couple of bays opposite, but Iffley Road is thankfully only a minute away!
Hope to see you again soon!