“A Refreshing Change”

Ranked #147 of 691 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Healthy
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Authentic American Smokehouse serving homemade burgers, tender steaks and a wide range of meat smoked from 12 - 24 hours. With a fully stocked bar, a variety of cocktails, a fridge full of American bottled beers and even more ales, lagers and ciders on tap, along with many more mocktails, milkshakes and massive challenges; there's nowhere better to release your inner carnivore. Herbivores however, are also both welcome and well catered to, with Chef's Specials, burgers and the best Mac & Cheese in Oxford.
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Enthusiasm, friendliness, knowledge, funny- tasty, unusual- all sum up the visit we experienced when we visited this pub/restaurant.

Herman W, Manager at Oxford Blue Smokehouse, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

Thanks for the compliments! We definitely take pride in our friendly/quirky restaurant atmosphere. At the moment, we've all our holiday decorations up too. So, stop by for a Christmas take on the usual fun!

Reviewed September 14, 2012

I really want this place to succeed, as I'm local and would love to have it as an option in the long term. I have eaten here about half a dozen times now, and although the food can be terrific, on a couple of occasions it has been distinctly under-par. The choice of ale is invariably restricted to the two out of four that I don't really want, although the wine list is well-balanced and pretty good value. What I really don't like is the inept service that we always seem to get stuck with - the managers seem to be on top of things, so why don't they train their staff properly? On two occasions we have been left to ask for cutlery, once the food has been delivered to table, and basics such as waiting for the whole table to finish before clearing plates seem beyond comprehension to some. The Oxford Blue seems to aim high but in my experience needs to get beyond this slightly amateurish approach - it wouldn't take much in the way of increased professionalism and consistency for it to be five-star all round, and I'm sure it's capable of it.

Hello and many thanks for your feedback!

So sorry to hear of your bad experiences. As much as I'd like to respond by saying we must have had a bad day, it seems you've had a true sampling with 6 visits. That said, we have done much to improve since your review and hope you give us another chance!

In the past months, we've taken a sincere approach to reforms in our style of service. Our first year was a bit of an experiment to see whether we would lean more toward a pub atmosphere or restaurant-style service. As it turns out, people really enjoy coming in for the restaurant experience. So, we've trained our staff on the basics and more. Based on the specifics of your experiences (e.g. issues with cutlery and waiting for everyone to finish their meals), I think you'll be pleasantly surprised on your next visit. These are issues we have addressed in our staff training, alongside a more generally attentive section-by-section service.

As for the food, the first year was admittedly inconsistent, as we were having some trouble holding onto our recently-trained kitchen staff. Now, however, things are only looking up and we have a solid team in the back. Indeed, this January we will be extending the back kitchen to accommodate even better kitchen service for our booming front of house business needs.

In short, we appreciate your candid feedback and hope to show you how much we've been paying attention!

Reviewed September 13, 2012

The Oxford blue is, I can safely say, one of the best pubs in Cowley, if not Oxford. It is a hidden gem, sandwiched perfectly between the Iffley and Cowley Road. The decor is so satisfying and the minute I entered, I felt at home. The bar staff were lovely and polite, all equipped with smiles and recommendations. Nothing was too much trouble for them. The food was delicious, I had the chicken liver for starters which I highly recommend! They have an extensive range of wines to accompany any dish you decide to taste. They do a mean Bloody Mary too, (and that's coming from a bit of a Bloody Mary snob). All in all, oxford Blue is a superb pub with wonderful food, a great selection of wines, beers and spirits and cheery friendly staff. I will be celebrating my birthday here in October, I can't wait x

Thanks for the great feedback!

We're especially proud of our wine selection and glad to know people appreciate its quality and diversity. It's comments like these that give us the inspiration to do even more with the offerings on the wine menu! So, look forward to seasonal changes on that front.

Did you make it back for your birthday party? If so, hope you enjoyed it!

Reviewed September 5, 2012 via mobile

have been to this restaurant with my wife,
good to very good food in a nice relaxed pub ambience.
incredible value for your money!
very friendly people who work there.
will go again.

Hello and many thanks!

Always happy to hear back from particularly pleased customers. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Best,

Reviewed August 30, 2012

This is a nice venue for a group meal with friends as it's unpretentious, has great wine and is very friendly. The food, sadly, was something of a let down - although the chips were fab. Given the other reviews on this website we were disappointed.

Herman W, Manager at Oxford Blue Smokehouse, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2012

Hello and thank you for taking the time to review your visit to The Oxford Blue!

I am so sorry to hear you had a disappointing experience because of your meal. This, as you mention, is particularly disappointing in light of the many excellent reviews we receive. What's more unfortunate, however, is that we have missed the opportunity to learn from your experience! If you find the time, I would be happy to discuss the particulars of your visit to see if we can improve for future patronage. I have included a contact email below.

It is our sincere aim to take this feedback to heart and, as we have recently begun engaging with our reviewers, we will do our best to address each of your concerns.

Herman