“Great burger and very dog-friendly”
Review of The Punter

The Punter
Ranked #169 of 637 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
London, England, United Kingdom
“Great burger and very dog-friendly”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Just off the Thames, this is a nice little local pub. We stopped in here after a ridiculously long walk and had an amazing burger. I asked for it to be cooked medium which most places refuse to do. It was perfect and juicy. There was a bowl of water for our dogs and they were allowed to wander around and say hi to the other doggies. It seemed very family friendly as well. There was a family near us playing a trivia card game and having a great time (the have lots of games laying around to play). If we lived in the area it would be my local.

• Visited January 2013

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Great little pub”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Like the Punter in Cambridge, this pub has character and charm with its alternative mismatched furniture and crockery. I love the homely feeling you get as you walk in the door and we were lucky enough to sit right by the open fire. My husband had the steak and I had the risotto as I am a vegetarian - both were delicious! Definitely would recommend getting a meal here if you are in Oxford!

• Visited November 2012
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Great little waterside pub”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

A former fan of The Watermans Arms and the wonderful (albeit occasionally grumpy!) landlord, Henry, I grudgingly paid my first visit to The Punter last weekend. I arrived fairly late for lunch so was pleased to discover that they serve food all day. The back garden was as busy as one would expect on a sunny day in Oxford but I managed to get a seat on a small table at the front of the pub and settled down with my pint to wait for the food. The menu is fairly eclectic, with some odd pairings of ingredients (crayfish and rabbit paella anyone..?!) that I didn’t sample and would feel slightly anxious about ordering. However, playing it safe I decided to order two starters and went for the whitebait and the Scotch egg. The whitebait was plentiful in portion size and just the right side of salty and the scotch egg arrived warm and gooey with, what looked like, home-made piccalilli on the side. I rather enjoyed both, even though I was unable to finish the mound of whitebait, and I felt that the Scotch egg could have been excellent with a bit more seasoning in the breadcrumbs.

Pleasantly surprised I returned again this weekend and enjoyed delicious pints of Pimm’s and gin (with tonnes of fresh fruit in) for £5 a go and some pretty decent white wine which came in around £17 a bottle. We were planning to stay for supper but like me, my partner was put off by some of the stranger items on the menu (which is also quite small, but I would guess changes frequently), so we moved on elsewhere.

I found the staff helpful and friendly and although I miss Henry and his great boxing stories I think it’s a perfectly nice waterside pub. On that note, whilst I realise that the pub being next to the water might cause one to jump to the conclusion that they have renamed it The Punter in a punting sense I think that actually it is meant in the sense that one going to a pub can also be termed ‘a punter’. I could be wrong but their sister pub in Cambridge, also called The Punter, is, as far as I can tell, not near water at all…

• Visited April 2012
“Food hit and miss”
Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

We visit The Punter fairly regularly for a drink, and love it. The atmosphere is relaxed and dog friendly. We have eaten here several times, the burger and chips is great, as have been a pork dish and a lamb dish. Unfortunately the standard is not consistent, the fish and chips and all veggie meals tried have been poor and over-priced. Shame, because this could be a great place.

1 Thank Cathy H
Oxfordshire
“Fantastic food, even the parents agree”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Read a review of The Punter and wanted to try something a bit different, the menu wasn't over complicated, pricing was very straightforward which was refreshing. We sat outside which has a nice view of the water and lies on a peaceful residential road (it is in the middle of a city after all) the only criticism from the parents was that there were a few weeds in the flower pots, so not bad at all. We got great table service, informal and polite. The food was excellent, flawless and very tasty. Every dish was perfectly cooked, fish juicy and succulent, chips just as they are when cooked fresh at home, burger was huge and moist. Great value given the quality of food and size of the portions, even the 5 quid lunch choice chicken dish was beyond expectations. The decor is different with some cheeky and subtle artefacts dotted around and again a refreshing change from the themed norm. Another endorsement was the presence regulars, who were there not only for the food but for the drink and for the atmosphere. Great place, great lunch.