“too small” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of New Theatre Oxford

New Theatre Oxford
Ranked #34 of 172 things to do in Oxford
More attraction details
Owner description: The New Theatre welcomes touring musicals, opera, ballet and family shows along with top-name concerts and comedy events throughout the year. The theatre is part of the Ambassador Theatre Group.
England
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“too small”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

We have been there to see River Dance performance and in my opinion the stage was just to small to accommodate it. Maybe it is good for plays and concerts but definitely not big enough for venues like River Dance.

abingdon uk
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Al Murray and Level 42”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

The shows were good, seating is cramped though and drinks were expensive. On the plus side they are local and get in a few good turns. So i would go again.

Oxford, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“LOVELY OLD THEATRE”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

I have read many of the reviews of the NewTheatre, I am a born and bred Oxonian, and this theatre is amazing, it is old, but that is part of the character of the building, it could do with some modernisation, but the chairs are comfortable, yes loos are not michelin star but hold onto it if you can for 2/3 hours ! What you should be thinking about is the shows that are put on there and some of the great stars they get, I have just been to see Chicago, absolutely brilliant and am going to see 9-5 in December and the fantastic Leona Lewis next May, so if its modern venue you like then this is not the place for you, but if you want to see a good show then go for it I say - Everyone has there opinion, and if you have taken the time to write about the building and loos and the bar, then you were not at a very good show. !!!

Wokingham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Check access before you book.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

I booked seats to take two elderly people to "Chigago" for a treat. I have since booking found out (by doing a recce) that the theatre is in a pedestrian precint accessible only by walking to the doors or by getting a bus, it seems. Therefore I am unable to drop off my relatives by car & cannot expect a 93 year old to walk far or get on a bus for a night out. So I tried to return my tickets - they "don't do refunds" - so I have lost £50 & disappointed them. I have heard that Oxford Council is very anti - car however we can't all ride around on bicycles! We regularly go to Sadlers Wells in Islington - an excellent modern theatre. We always park outside in the street (or in side streets opposite) & they have a special car park for over 60's & the disabled.

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Good performance, but venue is tired”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

Went to see Jack Dee who was great but the New Theatre is in desperate need of refurbishment - its always chaotic to get in and out, toilets don't work properly (every time I've been there), impossible to get a drink due to massive queues and few bar staff, and seats in the balcony are so cramped the man behind me's knees were resting on the back of my head. Not much fun.

Visited September 2012