“Nice place for a pint with friends”

The Old Bookbinders Ale House
Ranked #3 of 671 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: French, Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We found The Old Bookbinders Ale House to be a fun place to meet friends. Thursday and Fridays the place is packed with students and scientist. Food is not so great (little to no selection outside of dinner and lunch on the weekends and I believe they carry the Green King Breweries Ale, not my favourite.

Josh M, Owner at The Old Bookbinders Ale House, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Thank you for your review on our pub, we're glad you enjoyed yourself and hope you come back to see us again!

I apologise you were disappointed to find no food service outside of lunch and dinner, but as we are a small pub we don't keep our kitchen open all day like some other places. We want to focus on quality in our pub and we feel this is the best way to achieve it. We would rather serve good quality food in two sittings rather than risk reducing our standards by serving throughout the day.

In regards to the ale selection, Greene King own our property so we do have to stock their beers but out of our six hand pumps serving real ale only three are Greene King beers. The other three are for our guest ales that rotate as often as we can. We usually have four guest ales a month.

I hope this clears things up for you, and I do hope you come back to enjoy a pint soon.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

This is a delightful pub in the Jerico area well away from the mayhem of central Oxford. The pub is full of character and the service was excellent. My partner and I enjoyed the main courses and desserts. It is a pity that it is so far away from where we live but we would certainly return.
Thank you to the chef and the staff for a lovely dining experience.

1  Thank Sirje B
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I was part of a hen party group that hired out the 'back room' of this wonderful old pub. The staff were so ridiculously accommodating - from the moment I rang to ask if they had availability. They were always willing to help us by setting things up in the room before the hen group arrived. We had the 3 course set menu which was absolutely delicious and cost only 18.50. I had the duck for the main which was extremely tasty. The atmosphere of this pub in combination with the great food and friendly family run service is what makes it!

2  Thank Olivia L
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

As this pub is somewhat out of the way, we thought when walking there from the centre that it would at after eight, on a Friday night, either be packed or deserted. It was the former and it was only because our waitress, Jackie looked extra hard for a table that we found one.
This pleasant surprise was followed by some good bitter,Hache and chips plus an excellent creme brulée all at a very reasonable price. There's a good buzz place to the place too !.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

As a pub, this place is superb. Far enough from the beaten track that it doesn't attract the party crowd, an excellent selection of beers, a fair selection of wines, and reasonable enough prices.

For food, it's good. The menu covers a fair range of prices and meals, with some being very cost effective if plain and others being costly but worthwhile. As a local, I heartily recommended this to tourists.