“Ticks all the boxes”

Turl Street Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Turl Street Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #65 of 628 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: British, Soups
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Wellington, New Zealand
“Ticks all the boxes”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I’m spending a few days in Oxford, staying in Trinity College – and the Turl Street Kitchen is just over the road. What a find! I’m working and travelling in England – and, when I’m travelling, finding a decent place to eat can be a real problem. What I want is tasty, well-cooked and relatively healthy food at an affordable price. Friendly, helpful waiting staff and a great atmosphere are a bonus. The Turl Street Kitchen has them all in spades - so I’ve eaten there twice in the last few days. It would have been more often, but it’s booked out for days in advance. The website says “Open early ’til late, Turl Street Kitchen offers relaxed eating and drinking with a focus on great local produce and independent drinks makers. Drop in and see us for breakfast or coffee, stay for lunch, dinner or drinks. Make yourself at home.” This is exactly the sort of service and food that England should be offering its visitors – no battered cod, mushy peas and Heinz Tomato Ketchup at the Turl Street Kitchen. One of the best places I’ve eaten in during my 18 months in England – I can thoroughly recommend it

• Visited March 2014
TSKTeam, Manager at Turl Street Kitchen, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Hi Lindsay,

Thanks so much for your lovely review - we're glad you've had such a great time with us. We'd love to see you again while you're in Oxford, and do come back when you're next on your travels.

• Turkish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
“A restaurant with a social conscience.....Go!”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

This restaurant is a social enterprise venture with all profits going to the Oxford hub. I do not think that Turl Street Kitchen make enough of this. The food, service and atmosphere in this restaurant was excellent. We were looked after by Javier, the manager very well. He is a charismatic and charming "front of house" and excellent ambassador. The menu is very limited but the quality of the food more t Han made up for that and it is excellent value for money. Well worth a visit when in Oxford.

• Visited March 2014
TSKTeam, General Manager at Turl Street Kitchen, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Hi Helen,

It was great to see you and your family yesterday. We're very proud of our connection with the Oxford Hub, and we're thinking about how we can amplify that in the restaurant; watch this space!

Do come and see us again when you're in town.

London, United Kingdom
“Big Disappointment”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Went here recently for dinner with wife and two adult children. It was very disappointing. We were there on a Sunday evening, and we were very surprised to see that there was an extremely limited menu of only 4 items for the main course, two of which were vegetarian, one venison and ale pie, and a plaice with chips. The pie was one where you take off the filo top and find you have a couple of inches gap before the actual meat appears. It was nice, but just not enough. Also veg was extra. My son had the plaice, and we wanted to send it back because it appeared uncooked in parts. He certainly did not enjoy it. My wife and daughter opted for some kind of veggie concoction which was eminently forgettable. I looked across at some others and the soup looked quite plentiful and hearty, but we were there for dinner and wanted more substantial fare.
The atmosphere is pleasant and trendy, but we will not be returning. Maybe it's better for lunch and tea.

• Visited March 2014
TSKTeam, Public Relations Manager at Turl Street Kitchen, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Hi there - we're very sorry that you didn't have a great experience with us this time. As you may already be aware, we change our menu daily according to what's in season and what's available locally, so it is always relatively short. We also habitually offer a light supper on Sunday evenings. We apologise that you were disappointed by your meals, but we hope that we will see you again soon.
Manchester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Had dinner on my own here, whilst in Oxford for a course.
The food was great, cured trout as started, wild boar and black pudding sausages with garlicky cabbage and polent (very tasty!) and an amazing brown butter and lemon curd cheese cake. The cheese cake was served in a kilner pot and the crumbs on top where lovely and crispy, and provided great texture. The rest of the cheese cake was not lovely, not too sweet and not too tart....
The service was very attentive and they were happy to wait serving my cheese cake until I finished my G&T.
Loved the variety of gins and the bartender gave very good advice, as I had some difficulty deciding which of the 10 available gins to try. With his help I managed to try 3 very different gins, which made the experience of eating here even better. Considering I had 3 drinks and a 3 course dinner, the bill of 40 pounds, including 10% service charge was not at all bad.
All in all would highly recommend this restaurant.

Hi Charlie,

Thanks so much for your great review! We're glad you had a great time with us, and that the gins were too your taste; we certainly enjoy them!

We look forward to seeing you again when you're in town.

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Terrific Turl!”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

What would i do without this venue!- It is my go to default venue.
Great location, consistantly fresh and fantasticaly honest food, superbly affordable from coffee and sweet snack to full lunch or dinner. When friends come to Oxford, i take them here. I often end up here when in town on my own though too. Great drinks menu too. Booking recommended if you have special plans as they can be busy at times naturally. Decor is simple and elegant- both the food and the building are quietly allowed to speak for themselves! music always pitched at the right levels for time of day and day of week.

Visited February 2014
Hi Louise,

The question is, what would we do without you? Thanks so much for your lovely review, we're glad that you always enjoy your time with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon!