$302
$114
  • Pool
$188
  • Breakfast included
Holiday Inn Oxford(Oxford)(Great Value!)
$112
$93
  • Pool
$217
Agoda.com
$459
All reviewsbusy publondon pridepub hotelchristchurch meadowssunny dayriver viewlovely pubsuperior roomparking spacenespresso machinechrist churchfantastic locationlovely roomtop floorfull englishbreakfast was includedcity centre
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Despite the excellent location, this is a really poor choice for a traveller. Grossly overpriced for poor facilities: No chance of a pull-out mattress for my eldest son who was paying full price with me for a double room at 190 sterling for the night. No parking (only five spaces available if booked before hand). The worst aspect of the stay, however, was the dismissive and disinterested service: shocking, in fact...checkout took an inexplicable 20 minutes and I was ignored by three members of staff.The impression was that the staff hated their job, and perhaps they did, certainly one fellow seemed to have started work the morning before, was still working late the evening before and was on breakfast service at 8:30. Breakfast, too, was very slow. room was clean although air-ventilator in bathroom didn't work...Steer well clear unless desperate.

Room Tip: Don't stay here...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Salthillres
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We booked for lunch on bank holiday Monday and couldn't find anyone to show us our table, so guessed. The pub and outside area were all heaving (as you'd expect on bank holiday), but there were only 2 bar staff on. Needless to say, there was a massive queue for the bar (up to 30 people in line).

Table service was none existent so had to re join 30 deep bar queue. Food waiting time was 40 mins so we ordered starters too.

Starters took 45 mins to come (Brie and a charcuterie board).
After 1 hour 10mins with no mains, I complained at the bar. Apparently the waiting staff had failed to tell the kitchen we wanted our mains (because they hadn't cleared our starters). They did refund us a bit of money, but took a further 25 mins for food to come.

After the best part of 1.5 hours, we were expecting big things, but were greeted with dry fish& chewy burgers. We were also only give 8 out of 9 meals and had to complain again to get the 9th meal (10 mins later)

Pub location is brilliant and beer choice is good but would avoid the food and don't touch with a barge pole when it's busy!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Claire_higgin
Reviewed May 1, 2014

The Head of the River was a fantastic choice for myself and my husband.
it is a few minutes walk away from the centre of oxford and all the colleges and attractions that oxford brings.
The hotel was clean and tidy. The rooms were also neat and clean.
The staff were very amicable and went out of their way to be helpful.
breakfast was in the hotels bar area which was a first for both myself and my husband.
we had a very enjoyable long weekend.
The only down side of our stay was the bed it was very high and noisy but this was the only downside.
Iwould recommend this hotel but not for small children or babies as the rooms are above the pub.
saying that there was no noise from the pub below.

Room Tip: rooms with views over the river are splendid but the geese are quite noisy .
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 20, 2014

We stayed overnight on Good Friday. Great location for Oxford sightseeing but thats about it.
After checking in, we found no tea or coffee facilities in the room so went to the bar to order one, to be told the coffee machine was broken and they couldn't make tea or coffee.
The bar area wasn't that clean, and the stained cushions on the chars were not fit for a dog.
£200 per night with no chance of a hot drink, and with a pint of London Pride at £3.96 this place knows how not to get repeat custom.

Room Tip: Superior room had a view over the river, but you pay a premium for it.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Amazing location drew us into this pub for lunch Good Friday after a fab service at Aldgates Church. Can't believe we walked back to the place to end up so disappointed. Rude and surly staff. Can understand not being able to open a tab on a busy day so let that one go. Bought a large rosé and pint of London Pride (highly over priced at £10.34). Regardless as the sun was shining we took a seat outside and enjoyed the sunshine while we perused the menu. Having decided what to eat I went back inside and joined the queue to order. Eventually my turn came and I tried to order a cold sharing platter only to be told ' the tills are updating we are not taking food orders, please come back in 5 minutes. I offered to pay and he could write down my simple order and process it when the tills were ready but he refused. Ended up in the St Aldates Tavern and I have to say the service and food in there was absolutely amazing and very reasonable price.

• Stayed: April 2014