“what a find”

The Head of the River
Ranked #14 of 85 Oxford B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 13, 2013

My husband and I had booked to see Blood Brothers at Oxford New Theatre and we wanted somewhere to stay overnight. We settled on Head of the River. We were delighted with our "Oscar Wilde" room. Such character. Decorated and finished expertly. All the staff were a delight and could not do enough for us. Would stay here again.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Just stopped here for a couple of cold beers on a hot September afternoon after walking up the river whilst staying in Iffley. Maybe a bit more expensive than norm but location is super just on the river. Great to just sit outside and watch the world go by on a nice day.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

We took over the whole hotel and the staff managed to keep us all happy ! A special thanks to Adrian who was seconded to look after us, which he did with great patience and aplomb ! Even when I said I needed a step to get into bed he gave me a couple of reams of paper, which I wrapped tightly in a small towel which did the trick !

Room Tip: No 7 has a high bed, and I believe one other bedroom has one as well, so if you have short legs avoi...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We took a day trip to Oxford on a Monday. Walking near the River we came across this place. It looks so pretty and it has a great location next to the river. Even for a Monday lunch time it was quite busy but we decided to stop for a drink and a small lunch. I had already looked on the website to see their menus and they had a normal lunch one plus a sandwich menu. When we asked for menu we were given normal one and when I asked for the sandwich one, the guy behind the bar said 'I don't think we do them'. The staff were friendly but they didn't really seem to know what was going on. We only ordered homemade sausage roll (very nice) and chips, and I understand it was very busy but we did have to wait quite a long time for the simple order. All in all it was a nice lunch and I think I would go back, just a couple of little things really.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I was apprehensive at booking a room above a busy pub, but the friendly staff, well decorated and very clean bedroom soon began to reduce the fears. The superb location and good range of beers gives a very pleasant atmosphere to sit and relax in. The popularity of the outside terrace obviously causes some delay in getting food served, but all through our 5 night stay we didn't feel this delay was excessive, the meals we were served were also very good. We found the staff without exception were pleasant, and couldn't do enough to help.
Would we stay again....YES
Would we recommend this place... YES

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2013

beautiful location to stay so close to the city centre and lovely views of the river, the staff are so friendly and helpful.
i stayed in a twin room beautifully decorated had a cottage feeling small bathroom but has everything you need had a tv not that you will watch it as we spent most of the time out side beside the river.
advertises tea and coffee etc in the room but they don't have it but you can order tea and coffee and time from 730am free and they will bring it to you,
there is a wide verity of breakfasts to chose from 730am till 930am

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2013

When we pulled up I though oh no but I was wrong. The rooms are above a busy pub. You go up a narrow stairwell. I was still worried especially since they asked for prepayment. Our room on the top floor is charming. It's small with an iron bed, armoire, and period side tables. It has a small chandelier on the ceiling and wall paper that looks likea library. The view of the river is sweet. The bathroom is very modern with a great rain shower. The staff is very attentive and have brought us numerous cups of tea/coffee. I highly recommend the Head of the River.

Room Tip: We are in room three (Tolkein room.)
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple