1,053 results
All reviews busy pub london pride christchurch meadows pub hotel sunny day christ church meadow river view lovely pub superior room parking space nespresso machine fantastic location lovely room top floor city centre breakfast was included full english
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I spent an extremely pleasant night at this "inn" on the banks of the Thames and within walking distance of the City Centre (and pleasingly only 5 minutes from my meeting venue). While described as budget accommodation in other reviews, some people must have bigger budgets than others as I don't consider £100+ to be budget accommodation! However, that apart, the rooms in this establishment are excellent. As well as having their number, they are each themed with a famous person from different walks of life. I noticed the Roger Bannister room and the CArdinal Wolsey Room on the way to mine - the AA Milne room - particularly poignant as I staed on the day it was discovered hewas probably a spy for the english government in World war 1! The room was of a suitable size with ample storage space and space to work, including a writing desk seemingly form a Victorian schoolhouse. The pub and its accommodation has loads of character about it and the staff, particularly the guy who seemes to be in charge (I omitted to ask or observe his name) were extremely friendly and accommodating. The evening meals are a bit over-priced for "pub grub" but we are in Oxford! the beer is usual Southern England prices (ie expensive) and there is a suitable and pleasant choice. The breakfast, of which their website indicates their proudness, is cooked to order and was indeed delicious. The toast was made from well cut "proper" bread (rather than sliced) and I couldn't resist asking for more which was brought willingly and efficiently. Unusually, there are no coffee making facilities in the rooms but I was advised that coffee is always available by ringing reception and it would be brought! I didn't avail myself but quite unusual characteristic. Guests who stay out late to sample the delights of the City are able to access their rooms at any hour via a fire door for which a key is given and the staff are extremely accommodating about keeping bags on your day of departure. Overall, an extremely pleasant stay which I would heartily recommend even if a little overpriced.

Room Tip: River views are probably best. I didn't have one (which didn't bother me as I wasn't a tourist) so ask when booking.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 21, 2013

The hotel is in a wondeful location on the river and the pub very lively, but our room was at the back so it could have been anywhere. We had a twin room. For the price I would have expected two beds, rather than one bed and a chair-bed. The cooked part of breakfast was yummy, but the set up limited -- I would have appreciated some fresh fruit. It was very much a pub with rooms added on, rather than the other way around, so dont expect any type of personal service.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We popped in here on a cold April evening for dinner. The fish and chips were excellent, as were the mushy peas, which were home mashed with mint and delicious. Dessert was Eton Mess and really yummy. Service was good, atmosphere was cosy and comfortable. Would go back.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Very friendly and helpful staff. We turned up several hours before check-in and they still let us park our car in the (tiny) car park. We were lucky it wasn't really busy, on reflection booking a car park space is recommended, I imagine more so in peak season. It's in a great location, you're a short walk from the city centre and only a few minutes away from King's College. The room was lovely, cosy and had a lovely soft bed and big bathroom. We were there on a fairly windy night and in one of the highest rooms so were woken a few times by a rattling sash window but not something I would ever complain about because it's a lovely, old building so you have to expect these things. I really liked my breakfast; not a lover of the full English I was given a few choices and my eggs florentine was really tasty, fresh juice and cereal was an option if you wanted it. No tea or coffee-making facilities in the room but we were told to just call down and they'd bring up fresh coffee or tea whenever we wanted it. No complaints, cheap and cheerful, if you're after a five star hotel go elsewhere but if you're after a comfortable place to sleep next to the river and the city centre that doesn't cost a fortune, this ticks all the boxes

Room Tip: If you aren't able to climb many stairs avoid rooms 1-6, but if you don't mind you can get a nice high view of the river from these
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2013

On a breezy Sunday afternoon, had the pleasure go good ale and food. The four of us had different mains, the Haloumi Cheese, their burger, the moules and a salad all of which were very tasty, good sized portions, served with a smile and very presentably so also. The view is lovely and generally otherwise impressed. Worth a visit especially when the sun is really shining, I would suggest.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends