1,031 results
All reviewsbusy publondon pridechristchurch meadowspub hotelsunny daychrist church meadowriver viewlovely pubsuperior roomparking spacenespresso machinefantastic locationlovely roomtop floorfull englishbreakfast was includedcity centre
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We popped in here on a cold April evening for dinner. The fish and chips were excellent, as were the mushy peas, which were home mashed with mint and delicious. Dessert was Eton Mess and really yummy. Service was good, atmosphere was cosy and comfortable. Would go back.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Very friendly and helpful staff. We turned up several hours before check-in and they still let us park our car in the (tiny) car park. We were lucky it wasn't really busy, on reflection booking a car park space is recommended, I imagine more so in peak season. It's in a great location, you're a short walk from the city centre and only a few minutes away from King's College. The room was lovely, cosy and had a lovely soft bed and big bathroom. We were there on a fairly windy night and in one of the highest rooms so were woken a few times by a rattling sash window but not something I would ever complain about because it's a lovely, old building so you have to expect these things. I really liked my breakfast; not a lover of the full English I was given a few choices and my eggs florentine was really tasty, fresh juice and cereal was an option if you wanted it. No tea or coffee-making facilities in the room but we were told to just call down and they'd bring up fresh coffee or tea whenever we wanted it. No complaints, cheap and cheerful, if you're after a five star hotel go elsewhere but if you're after a comfortable place to sleep next to the river and the city centre that doesn't cost a fortune, this ticks all the boxes

Room Tip: If you aren't able to climb many stairs avoid rooms 1-6, but if you don't mind you can get a nice high view of the river from these
Reviewed April 14, 2013

On a breezy Sunday afternoon, had the pleasure go good ale and food. The four of us had different mains, the Haloumi Cheese, their burger, the moules and a salad all of which were very tasty, good sized portions, served with a smile and very presentably so also. The view is lovely and generally otherwise impressed. Worth a visit especially when the sun is really shining, I would suggest.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We had booked to go on a river trip yesterday but had arrived early and were wanting a light lunch. We came aross the Head of the River. It looked attractive and we went in and were not disappointed. We were very courteously greeted and ordered a light lunch with wine. The food, wine and service were all excellent and we would certainly be happy to return again

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Firstly I would like to say that the location was excellent. When we arrived we received a warm welcome from the young man behind the bar ( think his name was Ben). He ordered us a taxi and took us to our room. The room itself was very clean and very nicely decorated. He also brought us a small fan heater as the radiators were not on and it was freezing. (We didnt ask, he bought it up on his own initiative).
When we went to hang our clothes up in the wardrobe we noticed there was not one coathanger in it and as we were in a hurry to go to a concert we did not ring down for any. Anyway upon return we had drink and retired to bed. We had a very comfortable sleep but I was cold as we didnt want to keep a fan heater on all night. But that was ok. When I had a shower in the morning and luckily didnt wash my hair as there was no hairdryer.
When we arrived downstairs for breakfast at 08.30 we noticed five out of the eight or nine tables were not cleared. We sat at our table and not one of the waiters came over to take our order.We went to the table set up with cereal and there was no juice and no milk. My husband went over to one of the waiters and asked him for some (Which he did bring out). After about 5 minutes still no one had come over to I went up to the other waiter who was standing near the checkout point behind the bar and asked him if he would come and take our order, which he did straight away. At no point in the hour we were down there were any of the tables cleared. Each time the waiter brought something out he did not think to clear off some thing off one on the tables, it just looked a mess. (I can only put this down to bad training).I must also mention that when we came down there was only one other person having breakfast, so they were not rushed off their feet).
The english breakfast my husband had was very good. This is so unfortunate because I would have recommended this Inn to my friends but the breakfast service was undoubtedly the worst I have ever experienced.
Also on the way out it was the first time I had seen a cleaner mopping AROUND the carpet !!!

1  Thank StephanieP551