Balkan Lodge Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
Newton House(Oxford)
View Hotel
All reviewsiffley roadexcellent busbiscuitsoxford areafull english breakfasttea coffeewithin walking distanceweekend breakbreakfast choicesother hotelsthe buswould definitely stay here againvisit oxfordsink
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Hotel was clean and reasonably presented but oudated decor and 'tired' furniture. Good location but for a similar price or a lttle more you could do a whole lot better. Very basic, no frills! Very noisy in the room, paper thin walls. Hard mattress. Tiny TV. Breakfast was adequate but often a long wait for service as only one server (same person who was also running reception.) Had to ask for cutlery etc and orders were wrong on a couple of occasions (and we only stayed 2 nights!) No major problems and like I said it was clean but you could do a lot better for your money I fear.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 30, 2010

Our main issue was value for money...it was just too expensive for what we got in return.

Bedroom - Clean and free wifi was a plus, but it was small, a bit chilly, had a small double bed,a tiny tv on a shelf close to the ceiling (therefore quite difficult to watch - also no BBC 1, just channels 2-5), scratchy towels in the bathroom (definitely seen better days), poor shower pressure. Free toilertries didn't look enticing, glad we brought our own. Paper thin walls, could hear voices next door.

Breakfast - Average. Reasonable selection of hot and cold foods, but overall, not the most enjoyable breakfast we've ever had. (some of the cooked food was only luke warm)

Staff - friendly, service could not be criticised.

Carparking - Off road carpark, but it has less spaces than rooms so may get full at times. (we had to squeeze our car into the last space, which was fairly tiny)

Overall, acceptable for a cheap hotel (i.e around £60 a night) but at £88, it was just too overpriced. Will not be returning.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2010

Set on the Iffley Road, well out of Oxford town centre, the Balkan Lodge Hotel does not set the heart or imagination on fire. The only staff member we met was pleasant and polite but dark gloomy passages, flowery carpets, cheap fittings, no water pressure in the shower and a cold room were far from welcoming. The bed, however, was comfortable if not luxurious, the room was quiet despite being on a corner with a main road and breakfast was in a pleasant enough room and fit for purpose. Oh, and there was good parking. Adequate.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2009

Read the reviews in trip advisor and was encouraged by comments, travelled with my son who was down for interviews at University and he stayed there, I was left on my own,wife at home and feeling sorry for myself, however i was welcomed at the hotel by a friendly member of staff, who gave me the low down on breakfast etc, room was basic but comfortable, breakfast was fab,newsagent almost next door so with Guardian in hand was happy, I travelled by train, so to get to City Centre number 3 bus is regular but as I had time to kill I walked its not 15 minutes as hotel www states but about 30 -35 minutes, I can find no complaints about this hotel staff were superb,if I had one complaint it would be that the bar was never open on the three nights of my stay, but it was December........

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 15, 2009

We found the hotel easy to find using Mapquest. The breakfast was great-we had what we thought was breakfast: cereal, yoghort, toast, fruit, then they said the magic words "what would you like for breakfast?". We both had the English breakfast mushrooms, bacon, fried egg, etc, delicious. Things we liked were the ample free parking in the back, quiet location but near the city, helpful and polite staff. Things not so good, funky collection of furniture, very low shower head over the bath and no shower curtain?.
Still these were minor compared with the location and price.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple