“Good food friendly crowd and good beer”
Review of The Rickety Press

The Rickety Press
Ranked #38 of 647 Restaurants in Oxford
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Recently received a place in the good food guide 2013 after only 18 months. Thank you to everyone who has supported us along the way.Propped up a stones throw from the city center, the Rickety Press has fast become one of the go too foodie destinations in Oxford. Boasting a menu packed with locally sourced ingredients and top-notch suppliers, their kitchen has planted its refined, yet simple offering firmly on the map; whatever the Kitchen decides to cook, you can rest assured the dishes will be super tasty and highly accessible. Established favorites include its superb sharing steaks & their homemade made ice-creams set alongside an ever-changing choice of seasonal dishes. Behind the bar you will also find a refreshing variety of craft beers, cask marked ales, considered wines and house cocktails, drafted into a drinks list offering the perfect choice of tipples for every stage of your meal.
Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

A little off the beaten track, very popular with those in the know.

It's well worth taking your time to find the place as the atmosphere is warm friendly with a touch of class.

Others have commented on it being dark inside but I think it adds to the ambiance .

There is a good selection of real ale and wine . The menu is small but well formed and the staff are super friendly and helpful.

I had the treacle smoke salmon and a rib eye stake both wonderful

I will be coming back , not driving next time so I can enjoy the beer :)

Put this place on your to eat list

Reviewed December 16, 2013

I had drinks and dinner here on a Saturday a few months ago and had an absolutely excellent time. The staff were attentive, the booze was delicious and the food was spot-on: not just pub grub, but hearty, inventive and exceptionally tasty.

Definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

We had a great meal, although I do agree with other reviews that the lighting doesn't make menu reading very easy! The food choice was superb and the continuous water supply helped with the heat that built up over the evening! Just minor gripes that can be easily corrected and they didn't spoil the wonderful romantic evening with my girlfriend.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

I went with a group of friends to the Rickety Press last week - the food was lovely (let's get that out of the way first). A limited menu, and somewhat on the expensive side for a bistro pub, but beautifully cooked. The mulled wine was lovely, and friends were impressed with the beer selection.

The decor was good, but the banquette seating had no cushions - friends had to sit on coats to avoid numb bum syndrome. The lighting was dreadful; I think it was supposed to be cosy and intimate, but ended up being a half-hearted twilight, which made reading the menu very difficult. This became an issue when I ordered the wine - a lovely cote de Provence, which I thought was £28. Got that wrong - due to the poor lighting, I skipped lines to the price above; the actual price for the wine was £39 a bottle. And we had 3 of them. Ouch! Over half the bill was on wine - which was, admittedly, my fault, but, if I'd read the price correctly, a) I never would've spent that much on the wine, and b) wouldn't have thought that any cote de Provence was worth that. As a result, the bill came as a bit of a shock, but we paid it, as it was my error. However, future diners - be warned!

To be honest, personally, I don't think I'd return here. There are other places to dine in Oxford that I prefer.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

This is a adorable pub/restaurant perfect to meet friends and have a lot of drinks. The music is good (it was playing jazz when I was there) and there are plenty of options of good beers. Also, it very beautiful.