“A little gem”

The Rickety Press
Ranked #27 of 680 Restaurants in Oxford
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Recently received a place in the good food guide 2013 after only 18 months. Thank you to everyone who has supported us along the way.Propped up a stones throw from the city center, the Rickety Press has fast become one of the go too foodie destinations in Oxford. Boasting a menu packed with locally sourced ingredients and top-notch suppliers, their kitchen has planted its refined, yet simple offering firmly on the map; whatever the Kitchen decides to cook, you can rest assured the dishes will be super tasty and highly accessible. Established favorites include its superb sharing steaks & their homemade made ice-creams set alongside an ever-changing choice of seasonal dishes. Behind the bar you will also find a refreshing variety of craft beers, cask marked ales, considered wines and house cocktails, drafted into a drinks list offering the perfect choice of tipples for every stage of your meal.
Reviewed October 25, 2013

The Rickety Press. Tucked away down a side street in Jericho, Oxford. This really is a little gem. It's one of those places you want to tell everyone about, but want to keep it a secret too. It's had some great reviews and it's easy to see why. Sunday roast = choice of pork, beef, poussin, or plaice fillet or roasted squash. All cooked to perfection with crunchy roasties and the best Yorkshire puddings. All locally sourced. Follow that with a chocolate creme brulee (huge portion). Sadly this cost them a half mark as it was more "pot au chocolat" than creme brulee. A definite WILL GO AGAIN.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I really love the rickety press, I've only been a few times but every time it exceeds expectations. The staff are fun and friendly and very engaging which makes the world of difference to a dining experience. The food is divine and is great value. Honestly, I couldn't remember this place more highly. Not to mention they know how to make a perfect fernet branca, my favourite!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

found it to be over bearing food not really that good and the staff just dont smile will not be going again

1  Thank fanjab
Reviewed October 12, 2013

This was a return visit - because the food and service is very good.
But the selection of beers.............................

6  Thank pgbDublin
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I found this a really difficult review to write for various reasons. We had booked a table for Saturday evening as part of a weekend break in Oxford. Initially when I enquired for a 7.30 pm booking I was told that this was OK but they would need the table back by 9.00 pm. I declined this as I wanted a leisurely evening meal that we could take our time over at which point they changed their mind and said we could have the table for the whole evening, but also made us aware that due to refurbishment the conservatory was closed and the table would be in the pub area. I didn't have a problem with this and booked. We duly arrived at 7.30 pm but when I informed the bar staff member of our booking he was unable to find it on their booking sheet. He mentioned this to another member of staff who then disappeared through a door and returned a few seconds later to say our table would be ready in a couple of minutes. Rather strange but nevertheless we were soon sat down and handed the menus. We were rather surprised to see that the menu bore little relationship to their web site menu and subsequently discovered that although they had told me that the refurbishment would change the seating arrangements they hadn't told me that they had considerably reduced and simplified the dishes on offer. Nevertheless we were happy to press on and ordered our starters which were fine but not outstanding, followed by our main for which we both ordered the rib eye steak with triple cooked chips instead of french fries which presented no problem. However, it's here that things began to go seriously downhill. My wife had asked for a medium cooked steak, I had asked for medium rare. When they arrived it quickly became clear that both steaks were medium rare. To be fair when we pointed this out to the waiter there was no fuss as he immediately apologised and said he would take my wife's back to the chef and ask for a medium steak. He shortly returned to inform us that it would take 7 minutes for the new steak to arrive. This seemed fair enough to us and I was relieved that they weren't simply cooking the old steak for longer. In the meantime I carried on eating my steak but soon discovered that I had a piece of beef that required considerable chewing. I refrained from saying anything at this point until my wife's steak, medium cooked, was delivered and once she had started asked her how it was. She commented that although it had some flavour it was rather tough! We manfully continued to chew through our steaks but eventually gave in. When the waiter came to clear the plates and asked how our meals were we said that we had found the meat quite tough. He apologised for this and took the plates away. A few minutes later he returned and informed us the the chef apologised for our steaksl, that he would be contacting his supplier about the quality of meat he was being provided with, and as our evening had been spoilt they would not be charging us anything for our meal.
And that is why this is a difficult review. It was very generous of them not to charge for any part of our meal but the steaks were really poor - were we just unlucky? The refurbishments clearly would have had some effect but shouldn't we have been told when booking that it would be a significantly different menu? And if they are charging nearly £20 for their rib eye and advertising their mention in the good food guide shouldn't there be a degree of consistency? For their sake I really do hope this was a one-off and I cannot fault them on their customer service. I would like to try them again but perhaps I'll wait until the refurbishment has settled down.