“Wonderful place.”

The Rickety Press
Ranked #41 of 634 Restaurants in Oxford
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Recently received a place in the good food guide 2013 after only 18 months. Thank you to everyone who has supported us along the way.Propped up a stones throw from the city center, the Rickety Press has fast become one of the go too foodie destinations in Oxford. Boasting a menu packed with locally sourced ingredients and top-notch suppliers, their kitchen has planted its refined, yet simple offering firmly on the map; whatever the Kitchen decides to cook, you can rest assured the dishes will be super tasty and highly accessible. Established favorites include its superb sharing steaks & their homemade made ice-creams set alongside an ever-changing choice of seasonal dishes. Behind the bar you will also find a refreshing variety of craft beers, cask marked ales, considered wines and house cocktails, drafted into a drinks list offering the perfect choice of tipples for every stage of your meal.
Witney
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful place.”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I visited the Rickety Press with my partner for a romantic meal and it did not disappoint!

We got a table in the bar in a booth - very quaint! Lovely little touches like books you can read while waiting for your meal.

I had the moules and the streak and both were absolutely delicious. The service was perfect, and it's great to have the cosy atmosphere of the bar while you eat. I have eaten in the restaurant area as well but prefer the bar - though the other area is very nice too!

The pub that used to be here was very rough and I am glad the area has this great addition - another local non-chain business I will be more than happy to support!

I would love to go here every week!

• Visited October 2012

Oxon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“great atmosphere, great food”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Two of us went for dinner, at very short notice. We actually managed to park nearby-the bane of going out in Jericho- and got a table quickly.
It was very busy but the service was great (got it just right) and the food was excellent. I had moules frites. The moules were huge and succulent and tasted amazing- clearly had not been near a microwave- and the sauce was excellent.
My friend had a steak and it was beautifully cooked and presented. We shared a pud, which was first rate.
The place was buzzing but they had the lighting just right- so it felt quite intimate- and the noise level was not high.
We really enjoyed ourselves, it felt like a special night out, definitely will go back.

• Visited November 2012
oxford uk
“Best Oxford Restaurant”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We have been waiting for -well for longer than I care remember - a decent restaurant in Oxford. At last we have it The Rickety Press. We have eaten here three or four times so I think we have a good overall view. I see some of the reviews are a bit mixed which I don't really understand. On each of our visits the food has been very good and the service excellent. We have been as a couple and with our children and baby grandchildren and we have never been disappointed in anyway. I won't go through all the various dishes we have had but I would just say that the puddings ( a favourite of mine ) are very good - in many restaurants even good ones they can be a bit of a routine afterthought but not here. If you want a more sophisticted restaurant then I do not think you'll find it in Oxford city. Le Manoir would fit the bill but at a cost.

• Visited November 2012
Bath, United Kingdom
“Nice,but not the quietist”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Good food, well presented, willing service and good atmosphere made for a very enjoyable evening.
The back room was bit noisy - fine if you are with a few mates, but not really for an intimate dinner a deux! It was a bit noisy but that's just a small criticism as the place is worth a second visit.

• Visited August 2012
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic light lunch”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Two of us went here a couple of weeks ago for lunch. We both ordered a sandwich and fries. Me, the steak sandwich and my partner the BLT. The bread was lovely and fresh, Clearly home baked. The filling was very tasty and flavoursome and the chips,crunchy and hot. The guys behind the bar were very friendly and accommodating. Especially when we asked for mayonnaise. The mayo here is homemade and my partner is pregnant. As soon as we said so, they brought us out some shop bought mayo, then returned a minute later to tell us their homemade stuff is made with pasteurised egg anyway. Will definitely return to sample other dishes and now want to try the sister restaurant the rusty bicycle which I have only drunk at.

• Visited October 2012