“Great Gastro Pub”

The Rickety Press
Ranked #40 of 650 Restaurants in Oxford
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Recently received a place in the good food guide 2013 after only 18 months. Thank you to everyone who has supported us along the way.Propped up a stones throw from the city center, the Rickety Press has fast become one of the go too foodie destinations in Oxford. Boasting a menu packed with locally sourced ingredients and top-notch suppliers, their kitchen has planted its refined, yet simple offering firmly on the map; whatever the Kitchen decides to cook, you can rest assured the dishes will be super tasty and highly accessible. Established favorites include its superb sharing steaks & their homemade made ice-creams set alongside an ever-changing choice of seasonal dishes. Behind the bar you will also find a refreshing variety of craft beers, cask marked ales, considered wines and house cocktails, drafted into a drinks list offering the perfect choice of tipples for every stage of your meal.
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Eating out in Oxford has generally been a massive disappointment. Particularly in a town that is full of tourists all year. Gradually this is changing. Not as a result of restaurant chains like Jamie's Italian, but due to the arrival of new pubs serving really good food. The Rickety Press in Jericho is well worth seeking out. The food is absolutely delicious and clearly freshly cooked. The only criticism from our table was that the service was a little slow, but I put that down to each dish being prepared to order and it was worth the wait. The ambience is great and my teenage daughters all fancy the (very ex-public school) barmen!

Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

It had been awhile since our last visit so time for another. They have upped their game considerably. First the service: Delivered impeccably by Fred & his team of professional (& it has to be said: easy on the eye) staff.

The food is just perfect. Of particular note was the onion & goat's cheese tart and the Kelmscott pork belly with roast plums. Truly inspired & well-executed cooking. Superb chocolate mousse and a Michelin starred cheeseboard.

Excellent wine list to suit all tastes.

We left very satisfied & looking forward to our next visit.

Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

We were four for lunch and we all chose differently. Nothing but praise for the copious food, the wine (unoaked Californian Chardonnay ), the service, the atmosphere of the sunny restaurant. All of us will certainly go again - many times, I hope. Oh, and I can add a flavour to the successes of the delicious homemade ice cream - salted caramel.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I travel widely and eat at some of the world's best restaurants yet I can honestly say that one of my best lunches ever was at the Ricketty Press last Saturday. Easy parking, delightful ambiance, friendly staff, service balanced between relaxed and attentive, a simple varied menu for all tastes with excellent ingredients prepared and presented with delightful flavours and eye pleasing plating. The wine list was again well balanced and fairly priced. The final bill was £66 for two and I would have been happy if it had been a bit more, the whole experience was so good. Please don't go, I hate crowded restaurants!

1  Thank JonathanHood
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I hadn't been to this marvellous 'gastro pub' (hate that term) for a number of months and wondered if, as is often the case, I would be disappointed after its auspicious debut last year. Happily delight was once again in store - both with the ambience, and even more so with the food. It was a sort of business meeting so I planned to be circumspect in my choice and chose simple dishes - hard to do when there's such a marvellously imaginative and tempting menu! I began with the best gazpachoi I've ever tasted, my companion chose the ham hock starter which he praised highly. My second course choice was a wonderful smoked haddock and salmon fishcake and hollandaise sauce, which literally melted in the mouth - I was reluctant to finish it - it was so good. As was my companion's belly of pork cooked in an imaginative way and pronounced 'excellent'. We'd planned to skip desert and just have coffee, but again it's very hard to resist that menu choice, so I drooled over my wonderful panna cotta, whilst he almost broke into song over the delectable varieties on his cheese board. He made a feeble excuse about not drinking but felt the marvellous cheeses demanded a vintage port, whilst I reminded myself once again what a perfect pudding wine 'Baume de Venise is. And then there was the coffee - surely the best in town! I'll continue to spread the good news about this wonderful place - the light in the conservatory was particuloarly beautiful today, catching those beautiful chandaleers. but as we left I remarked how one could dine equally pleasantly in the delightful bar area, with low lamps, books, newspapers etc. Just go,and enjoy The Rickety Press as much as I (and many friends) always do!!