“It's not bad.”
Review of Euro Bar

Euro Bar
Ranked #41 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed April 13, 2010

I stayed there for one night, and my impression is that Euro Bar was not bas as decribed in previous reviews. I booked an en-suite double room, and the price (60GBP) was fair for such a centrally-located stay. The room was very spacious, with a very lovely, also spacious, bathroom. There was no lift, but the staff carried my very huge luggage for me. My room faced the street, but I heard no noise and slept quite well at night, probably because I stayed on higher floor. Cleaniness however needs to be improved. I found a used pack of shampoo on the rack which was perhaps left by previous guest. The breakfast was also good, and the staff was also very nice.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed March 22, 2010

My cousin and I stayed at the Eurobar Feb 28 to March 4 2010. We had an enoyable stay. Yes every once in a while it was noisy but the noise did not last long. We had a room that was perfect for us. We had a triple (3 beds) with a bath. The room size was generous (especially compared to where we stayed in London). The employees were very friendly. Breakfast was very good. Location was right in the city center with everything we needed within walking distance. The room was clean and made up every day with fresh towels. To people who have written bad reviews (especially Americans) maybe you need to do a little research before booking rooms in other countries. Not every hotel is going to be cookie cutter and exactly as you are used to in the states. Buildings are old in so many parts of England and that is what gives this place charm. It looked like to me if you want an American hotel experience than go stay at a chain.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 16, 2010

We stayed at the Eurobar because of the location; we were visiting a relative here so Oxford was the only logical choice. There isn't much choice if you are on a budget and staying in town. We stayed on the top floor. It was quiet even tho the room overlooked the bus terminal. We found the staff very hospitable. The rooms are in need of a cosmetic update, and we shared the bathroom with 2 other rooms, which we knew coming in. I'm glad we stayed in the upper floors, so we didn't have to deal with the bar noise. So for all the complaints of the noise and shabby entry ways, just know this IS a college town, and it's an older building, I didn't see anything on their website that indicated otherwise. And realize that college kids party till 4AM and hang out in bars-that's how Mother Nature built them. The water was hot, the beds were clean, if only a little uncomfortable, but the pillows were of far higher quality than some I've slept on in much more expensive hotels. We enjoyed it, and put up with the less than regal digs. I liked the bar area, it served as a convenient meeting place, with large cushy sofas and the WiFi worked.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
EuroBar, manager at Euro Bar, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2010

Thankyou for your level headed, mature minded review of our Bar and its accommodation facilities- We at Eurobar are happy to hear you passed your time in Oxford enjoyably and hope you had a good journey home.

Reviewed January 10, 2010

The dirty rooms(room 1) were cold tv not working not cleaned propelry live music from the bar down stairs till 12.00 noise from bars and night clubs acrros the road till 04.00am very tied rooms and hotel staff not at all freindly polish staff working who dont understand was told all wrong info about breakfast which was nice but the polish girl cound not understand what a cerisl spoon was or what hot milk was or how to make hot milk asked to speak to mananger about the whole issue she was very rude and did not want to know so in my words dont bother with this hotel (its more like a brothel than a hotel)

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 12, 2009

I had reserved this hotel using two main criterias: price and location. I was not disappointed by those two. The hotel is actual located between a main street, and the main coach (bus) station. No need to say but with the single glazing, I was feeling like in a motor workshop with all those diesel engines. It is a B&B whith no bathroom inside, it has to be shared on the same floor by about 5 others rooms. The rooms are extremely old (I do not exagerate if I state they are at least 50 years old), with uncomfortable and noisy coil bed. At leat I could make tea and coffee in the room. Next time I will invest more to have more.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Air_Palma
EuroBar, Manager at Euro Bar, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2010

I 'm sorry your stay with us wasn't as agreeable as you had wished. As you booked our cheapest option single room with a shared bathroom, you were obliged to share this with only one other single room. Not five as stated in your review. The surrounding rooms, of which there are two on the floor on which you stayed, are both en-suite. Our location IS excellent, in the centre. For some travellers being next to the bus station is a plus, though, not to everyones taste. In fact there are two sets of windows on the outer facades of the building. However, if you only have one set closed at anytime there is a considerable increase in noise pollution from the street. This can happen as a result of the cleaners airing the rooms during the day then a guest arrives, only closing the inner window. Did you stay in an old building? Yes, Oxford is an historical city. So, in general, you should expect the buildings to be old. Especially in the central area of the oldest part of one of the oldest cities in the world! If assistance is needed to resolve any issue regarding the comfort of your stay with us or any other hotel for that matter; it is by far more constuctive to discuss this with staff members than to save up your disappointments to share on sites such as this. Unless, of course, that is your preferred mode of action. As for your comment about investing more in your future comfort - you could've always taken up our alternative option of a single occupancy double en-suite room at a higher price.

Reviewed September 28, 2009

very old building b&b. near the coach station, is very noisy at night.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2009

Eurobar, situated in a convenient (albeit noisy) location in central Oxford, is more akin to a hostel than to a hotel. You enter the hotel through the bar area, which is full of students and locals enjoying their beers. At times this created a creepy atmosphere with my girlfriend getting lecherous looks from the local men as we walked through the bar, making her feel very uncomfortable. The receptionist/bartender was however very friendly and sorted us out with a room change as we were initially in a room with a shared bathroom, which was not ideal. Payment was made up front, unusual for a hotel.

The hotel itself is in a state of disrepair, whilst the basics are done well enough (the bed sheets are clean, etc), it is by no means well presented, with dirty bags of linen lining the route to the room. The room itself had cobwebs, filthy windows, hairs in the bathroom and a dilapidated, stained sink. I have stayed in many hotels and this has got to be by far the least habitable. It was what you would expect from a hostel, not from a hotel charging comparable (if slightly cheaper) rates to others in the area.

The maid was rude beyond belief, whilst we were getting ready to check out she decided to open our room door with her key WITHOUT KNOCKING and come in anyway as she saw fit!! This resulted in me running to the door to stop her as we were getting changed at the time. I said "excuse me" to the maid and she responded not with a "im so sorry" but instead with a "oh, you not checked out yet?” Unbelievable.

In conclusion, i see absolutely no reason why one would stay at this hotel. It is similar to a hostel so if you are a traveller, just stay in an actual hostel which should be cheaper, and if you are looking for a hotel, just spend slightly more and get a much better service.

Avoid!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple

We are sorry your stay with us was so unpleasant. I haven't responded to this before as I ' ve only just realised I can. As to your disappointing review I can only say that at the time of your stay there was a tiny leak in the water tank in the attic above your room ceiling which resulted in the damp patch on the wall of your room. Unfortunatley, at the time we were unable to get a qualified plumber to repair the situation quickly. However, the repair was carried out and the room completly redecorated. As to the shower/bathroom- you did book the room on the understanding that you would be required to share the bathroom facilities with other guests on that floor- sadly very few choose to leave things clean enough for the next person to use- if ,however you'd of informed a member of staff by using the rooms internal telephone I am confident the cleanlness
issue could have been resolved.
We do have rooms with private bathrooms
but one was either not available at the time or you chose to go for the cheaper option.
As for the early checkout I was led to understand you were infact refunded any monies owed for the following two nights.
We do have regular vist from Health & Safety officials and are also reviewed by the fire officer. Once again I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us but please in future take things up at the time with a member of staff or the manager -we are Not the enemy!