“Meh...”

Ranked #41 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
London, England, United Kingdom
“Meh...”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I wasn't expecting much as I had read the reviews here before staying in this hotel, but decided to give it the benefit of the doubt anyway. Within half hour of having checked into the room, I hear someone trying their keys on my room door. I open the door and there's a couple, who had also just checked in, holding another set of keys to my room. Apologies, no hard feelings. Bla bla bla Couple goes back to reception and gets a different room. Later in the evening, I get a call from who I believe is the manager asking my name and when i had checked in. Turns out I had been given the wrong room keys. Apologies, no hard feelings. Room is cozy and warm, with closet and drawers, tea and coffee facilities, good working toilet. Room is right over the hotel's bar, so you hear the noise and music until midnight and then it's quiet. Breakfast until 10 is decent. Staff is quite nice. Second night I had no wifi access in my room, but was too tired to report it. Young people were right outside the bar until about 2/3am being loud, which is not the hotel's fault, but still ruined my night's sleep. Overall, the hotel is good for crashing for the night or weekend and has a killer location near the high street and the coach station. But if you like quiet I suggest you stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask for one on a higher floor to avoid bar's noise.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Diana C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Los Angeles, California, USA
Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

I stayed 2 nights at the eurobar based on its location right next to Gloucester Green and for the room rate. My room was clean but run down like the accommodation in general. The furniture was kind of beaten up, the door handle came off the bathroom door, the curtain fell down and it was noisy at night not from the bar or other guests but some kind of compressor going off repeatedly under my window. Staff were helpful and the basic tea and coffee in the room, free WiFi and included breakfast was ok. If you just need someplace central to crash for cheap this place would work for you. If you want more comfort spend a little more on a higher star place.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Hayley R
Romsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Conveniently close to the station, and several good pubs. Website says they have real ale, but they don't. Bedroom clean, but shared bathroom not the cleanest. Good cooked breakfast available in the morning, with choice of continental instead.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank John P
Leesburg, Virginia
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I believe that we stayed in one of their "nicer" rooms - nicer because it had an on-suite bathroom which many do not. To me it felt like a red light district kind of hotel. We even found condoms and opened condom wrappers in our drawers. I barely slept because I was so grossed out. It should be labeled and priced as a hostel but honestly I've stayed in many hostels that are 10x nicer and cleaner than this place was. In my opinion, too sketchy for the price. The plus side is that it is easy to get around town from there and it is directly above the bus station and they did keep our baggage behind the bar downstairs for a couple hours.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cavaboom

Travelers are raving about these Oxford hotels

Macon, Georgia
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Close to the center of town. Small hotel over a pub. You get what you pay for. Good service and the breakfast was well prepared. Keep in mind that the hotel is not air conditioned. When we were there in July 2013, this was a minor issue. Hotel staff was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Room 3 was well ventilated in the hot weather but overlooked the bus depot.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for three nights midweek, and I really wished I hadn't. It really detracted from what would have been a good trip to Oxford for meetings & an event. The hotel was dingy, tired, noisy and smelt awful (it smelt of poo!). I did not try the food as I was too put off by the apparent low level of hygiene. I thought that it was very expensive for a miserable experience, and I'll stay somewhere else in future (I currently need to stay in Oxford one night per week). There were no security facilities. I felt that the hotel misrepresented itself- it is hostel quality, which is fine if that is what you are expecting, but I thought it pitched itself rather above that. I would not recommend it unless you are desperate just to find somewhere to lay your head for one night (and it's very unsuitable for wheelchair users), despite the good location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2013

The hotel was dirty and poorly taken care of. I had to lie to get out of the second night. The highlight was a barman who was very helpful. The room was in the front and the windows did not work. The bathroom was dirty and the toilet seat did not fit the toilet. The sink sprayed the room when we turned on the cold water - there was no hot water. The halls smelled of urine. No elevator.

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends