“Loved it”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Bath Place Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oxford
Bath Place Hotel
Ranked #23 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Lakeland, Fl
“Loved it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2010

I really enjoyed my stay at Bath Place Hotel. I live in the U.S. and have never had the pleasure of staying in a 300-year-old hotel. My bedroom was charming - centered over the courtyard and looking back up the lane. The Turf Tavern, which dates from the 1300's is right around the corner. The only thing the hotel lacked was a time machine so I could go back & see what it was like there a couple of centuries ago. I WILL be coming back to Bath Place again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights while attending a family wedding. I chose Bath Place while others in the family stayed at the Old Bank and the Malmaison ~ haveing seen their accommodation I know I got the better deal!

Our room was small, but prettily decorated and furnished ~ shower room was also small but perfectly adequate. Of course the rooms are small ~ it's a very old building, and this made it charming. If you are interested in William Morris and friends it's also interesting to know that Jane Morris lived here for a while.

Service was good, we didn't have to ask for anything. And we were perfectly happy with the breakfast. I would happily stay at Bath Place again and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a some character in a hotel and is not in thrawl to the blandness of some more expensive.

I don't understand how some reviewers can think this is expensive ~ come on guys! You will be staying in the very heart of Oxford!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2010

The hotel is a goldmine for tourists and could really be something for its location and substance with a little effort but the quality of the hotel and quality of service was unfortunately effortless. Friendly greetings were helpful enough for roping us into this place for our wedding night but the fact that the boiler for all hot water in the building sounded like it was in our room made that £120 price tag seem already expensive. All sensation of happiness was knocked further when told that egg and bacon should cost £15 a head. The man who served me said they had an understandable 'no-bean' policy which I didn't care for anyway, but why would this also be a no-tomato, no-mushroom, no-sausage policy? Before I could ask this the man explained nonchalantly that "we don't like making the fried breakfasts, it's too much effort". It soon became apparent that this hotel that is run by the students they employ seem to think their customers are students too. This was all before I had actually checked in.
The next morning when checking out I mentioned that I'm not sure my card will be working. The person serving me before I paid and left remarked "I don't care either way, as long as I get my money then I'm happy". Basil would be charmed.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank marksyzm

Travelers are raving about these Oxford hotels

London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for my brother's wedding for 2 nights this week. My boyfriend and I had 1 of about 12 rooms in the hotel occupied by others in our group.
Across the board, the rooms were dirty and thick with dust - worn in dust. Some of our party had holes in the sheets on their bed, stained carpets and had even not been cleaned prior to check in.
The owner's customer service skills are lacking and despite the business she was getting from us, unable to be helpful or even pleasant. The 2 men working there, by contrast, were affable enough.
Thankfully the hotel did not detract from the weekend but I feel very strongly, especially, given the price tag, not to recommend this hotel. I am surprised it commands the price tag in my mind solely justified by the location which is central Oxford.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank HFT1980
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2010

hotel ok .. have put low score for location because although central there is very busy pub directtly behind, and the hotel is arranged around a narrow cobled alley which is also access to pub..... with no double glazing its very very noisy specially at shut tap. If you have young children avoid. But if your going to Oxford for "knees up" its fine.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2010

The building is very charming, the service excellent, and location extremely convenient, being literally a couple of minutes walk from Broad Street.
The furnishings were very comfortable, I slept like a baby!

Also, just next door was the Turf Tavern, which serves great food and again lots of character, and very friendly. This pub is also very respectful to neighbours by ensuring customers finish their drinks promptly and leave quietly.

I would recommend this hotel, as it offers the opportunity to stay in a place with so much charm; which makes such a change from all the huge chain hotels that can be very lacking in personality. We will definitely return!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SuzoSuzo
sfauntie
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2010

I recently stayed one night in Bath Hotel while visiting relatives in Oxford. The Hotel is very old and quaint being down a tiny cobbled alley within walking distance of all the sights of Oxford. The staff are extremely pleasant and helpful and the twin room we stayed in nicely furnished although quite cramped. But.... the hotel is several hundred years old! Our only complaint was that the shower was broken and looked as if it had been for quite some time. Certainly water came out of the shower head but it was more like a tap being turned on than a shower and impossible to direct anywhere, it meant dancing around under the water flow but for one night not a big deal. We did report this to front desk and were assured it would be repaired promptly - check it out if you are staying in room 5. Breakfast was plentiful and what is probably known as European Continental - meats and cheese as well as cereals and juices. Eggs available as an extra. Tea not quite hot enough for English tastes though. But all in all for the money this is a reasonable place to stay in the centre of Oxford and you are certainly made welcome.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends