“Top place to stay”

Ranked #29 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Top place to stay”
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

My family (including a 1 year old toddler) and I had to take a very spontaneous trip to Oxford. We booked Newton House and arrived there only a few hours later. I must say I am not keen on trips like that and was pretty much prepared for the worst. What a lovely surprise Newton House was. Not only is it very close to the city centre (with a pushchair it took me less than 10 minutes) but they also provided a car park; which can be a bit tricky when it's busy I think but we were lucky. We then received a very warm welcome and have been shown our room (room 9) which was right at the top. I assume it has recently been refurbished as it was beautiful. Nice decor, very comfortable beds (and a cosy and nice duvet, too!) and a very clean bathroom with a large shower. The towels were soft and fluffy and there was plenty of tea and coffee. The only slight negative point for me was the strength of the shower- personally I thought it was a bit weak. Anyway, I slept like a log. The next morning we went downstairs and had the best breakfast I've ever had in a b&b- the bacon of my full english was to die for, but additionally there were yoghurts and cereal etc. For the price I could not fault it and I would (and probably will) definitely stay again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Janina M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Broxbourne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We had a very pleasant stay, it is a short walk to the centre of town, it is easy to find, there is a good car park (so once you have parked up Oxford is on your door step no need of a car) and we were allowed to leave it there on the day we checked out for the morning. All the halls and corridors were being repainted and are very smart. Breakfast was excellent so for lunch you only need a coffee and a snack (excuse for a nice meal in the evening). Beds were comfy, bathroom and beds were clean and bright. Loads of milk for teas and coffee in room and I bet if you asked they would provide loads more.

Our room was big enough but some may feel it was a bit small (being very picky now!)

Must end on a positive well done all at Newton House and thanks

Room Tip: Sorry only saw our room
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andrew J
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2014

This place was very easy to find and a short walk in to the Oxford city centre and 20 minutes walk to the train station. There is a big car park to the rear and all of the staff that I spoke to were very nice and very helpful.

Sadly the hallways and stairs are pretty shabby which lets the whole place down. I don't think that it would cost a whole lot to dramatically improve the overall appearance of the place.

The bedroom though was very nice indeed, well kitted out, comfy bed and spotless linen. Tea making facilities, free wifi and so on. The bathroom was adequate but the shower was a bit limp and very small.

The breakfast was superb. Quality bacon, well cooked eggs, lots of choice, fruit, yoghurt etc.

Room Tip: Ask the duty manager what is available
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TartanWanderer
West Midlands
Reviewed November 30, 2013

My son and I stayed here for one night while walking the Thames Path. It is situated just a fdew minutes walk from the river and ten minutes walk up to the centre of Oxford. We booked a twin room with en suite bathroom for £79 including continental breakfast. Our room had a double and single bed plus a single futon. This made access to half of the large dressing table a little difficult, but we were only had rucksacks with us and so it was not an issue for us. The TV was OK, but a small screen and a doorknob was loose. However, there was plenty of tea, coffee and chocolate drinks, Soft towels and a powerful, hot shower. Full English breakfast was included along with juice, toast, cereals yoghurt and fruit. Friendly, accommodating staff.

Room Tip: Room 4 was upstairs and overlooking the Abingdon Road. Not too noisy.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Geoff T
Northampton
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Visited for 2 nights weekend with a group of friends. A brilliant position with a bus stop outside and only 10-15 minutes to walk into Oxford. Good points - rooms clean, bed comfortable, breakfast good with plenty of choice, staff friendly, car park free though a bit congested, Not so good points - no communal room which being a group, we would have appreciated, decor a little dated and overpowering in some rooms, rather noisy at the front of the property. However, reasonable value for money .

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank RozNorthampton
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Terribly run down, needs refurbing, creaking stairs, mouldy bathrooms, so awful i didnt want to lie my head down and seriously thought about moving hotels however it was the christmas light show so all hotels were completley fully booked
Definitely not worth the £125 for one night.
Breakfast was tiny and the bread was mouldy!!
when I told the staff they apologised but then did not recall anyone elses toast which may have been mouldy too so I felt sorry that other people may have eaten the mouldy bread and been ill.
Would definitely not stay here again and recommend everyone to stay well away

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jackie c

Travelers are raving about these Oxford hotels

Wellingborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Stayed in a twin room for the one night while visiting Oxford for a ghost hunt at the castle. Check in was quick and easy, Manager offered to leave us a key as we thought we would be checking in late but in the end this wasn't necessary. Room was small but clean, slightly noisy though in the morning as we were right on the main road. Breakfast was lovely, especially the vegetarian sausages. Would stay again but would ask for a room that wasn't facing the road.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends