“Please Beware”

Marlborough House Hotel
Ranked #44 of 85 Oxford B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 9, 2012

The rooms were reasonable but we witnessed a bitter argument between unhelpful management and two guests who - perfectly fairly - complained that the advertised "cooked breakfast delivered to your room" had been withdrawn as an option after they had booked. Hotel staff responded to requests for a £10 pp refund by stating that the guests were free to leave the hotel. It was a loud, unpleasant, long exchange that cast a shadow over our stay. I'm a professional travel writer and have never seen hotel guests treated so shabbily. They left. We stayed, and were woken periodically during the night by loud gurgling noises. The continental breakfast which arrived in our room was inadequate, and arrived the night before - including two small rolls and one small croissant; between the two of us.

Room Tip: Friends staying at the front of the hotel complained of traffic noise. We stayed at the back, where...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ProTraveller_12
OxfordKaushik, Manager at Marlborough House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor. I have taken account of the inconvenience caused to you and do sincerely apologies for it.

We have now withrawn the Continental breakfast because on many accounts it was not a viable option. We had tried in many ways to appease the guests who left. You caught the end of the conversation and I am sorry for the stress that caused you.

Wishing you all the best for all your future travels.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

When we arrived at 4.00 pm, none of the rooms had been cleaned yet. Breakfast leftovers were spread over the corridor on top of dirty linen. The bathroom was rather 'hairy', the toilet did not flush properly, the furniture looked (and was) shabby. The full English breakfast, that rose high expectations because it was so late, was too tiny to be full, the continental breakfast was inedible. Cutlery was incomplete, milk was missing.
We arrived on a Sunday: hopefully this bad service was because there was no proper supervision.

Room Tip: Do not book this hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Ann D

Dear Sir/Madam,

Wishing you all the best for all your future travels.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

My usual accommodation in Oxford was unavailable, so I picked MHH from Tripadvisor, despite some very negative (as well as some good) reviews. I was greeted by a charming receptionist who took me to the room and explained everything and a colleague who obligingly lent me a charger for my mobile - I'd brought the wrong one.

The room was spacious and comfortable, with a double bed, plenty of spare quilt and blankets and fresh towels. It was spotlessly clean. The kitchenette was fully equipped with fridge, kettle, cutlery, crockery and batterie de cuisine, including a cafetiere, plus appropriate provisions, including fresh milk. This proved invaluable, as you are served breakfast in the room, but have to make your own drink (Blue Mountain coffeee, a variety of teabags and packet of juice supplied).

In view of the complaints of some other guests, I decided to make a thorough inspection of my room and ensuite bathroom. This threw up 4 points: the two armchairs, though comfortable, were a little shabby, the bath towels weren't awfully big, there were one or two tiny spots of rust on the radiator valves and there was a very slight smell in the bathroom. I think the extractor fan might need cleaning.

All in all, I would still rate this B & B very highly. Pleasant staff, very good ensuite room and no niggles worthy of serious mention. There was a slight hiccup over the bill, but this was soon rectified. I would recommend MHH to anyone but the fussiest traveller.

Room Tip: I saw only my room, but was assured that all the others were of the same standard. Mine faced the ro...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor.

Thank you for your positive comments.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We arrived on a Monday and stayed 2 nights. We travelled by train and then took the Stage Coach bus S3 from the station which stopped about 1 minutes walk from the hotel.
The staff was friendly and helpful. Our room was very spacious with a kitchenette, a minibar, and a comfortable bed. Wifi is free.
Breakfast is served in your room. You can choose between full English or continental breakfast. Tea or coffee you have to make yourself. The second day they forgot to replenish the things we had used e.g. no more new tea. A pity you have to go and ask!
The bathroom had some mould above the bath due to the fact that the kit work hadn’t been completed.
For the rest we had a pleasant stay, with easy access to Oxford using public transport.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mrsguide

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor.

Thank you for your positive comments.

I look forward to welcoming you to the Marlborough House Hotel in the not too distant furture.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

A welcoming atmosphere was felt upon arrival in this hotel.The staff who assisted me to my room was very helpful on giving direction and best ways i can tour around oxford.The room was clean, with kichenette which is very useful during my stay and with a minibar too.i did not expect to have a pint of milk in my fridge unlike other hotel they just provide 2-3 miniatures,enough for 1 coffee.my breakfast was served in the room and it was great feeling, not a chance of missing it.wifi connection is superb plus the place is equipped with buses going to town.Overall it was a satisfying stay and will definitely recommend.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed here for two nights, arriving on a Sunday. First impressions were not great - a cramped car park, with limited spaces. The pictures on the website give a false impression - our room, though spacious, had a down-at-heel air, and was in need of a good deep clean. The bathroom was grubby, the towels thin and far too small to be of much use, and it was a struggle to get the toilet to flush properly.
We were shown to our room by a very pleasant young woman, who checked the fridge and noted a lack of milk. We did not realise at the time how important this was. We discovered later that guests basically have to do their own breakfasts, with only cooked items,fresh fruit etc being brought to the room as required in the morning. She said she would ensure milk was put into the fridge for us. This did not happen and when, on returning to the room after a walk into Oxford, I rang reception to ask for it to be brought. I was told there was no milk - it was Sunday, so none was delivered, and we would have to do without. My husband and I had to be content with a cup of black coffee. Next morning, as is the way in this hotel, breakfast was delivered to our room as ordered. No milk was supplied, and on ringing reception I was told again that there was no milk - the delivery was not expected till 10am. Coffee without milk is one thing, but bran flakes without it is quite another! How any establishment calling itself a hotel can expect guests to take breakfast without milk is beyond me! Needless to say we bought a carton of milk ourselves later in the day to ensure that our room was no longer a "milk-free zone".
Our other major complaint about this hotel concerned irritating semi-musical sounds which continued all night long, and we think came from the room above ours. We mentioned it to reception after our first night, but the same intrusive noises kept us awake on our second night as well - the staff obviously had not taken any steps to address our complaint.
So - my advice: if you like milk with your breakfast and want a quiet restful night's sleep, avoid this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AberdeenFoodlover

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We had high hopes for this hotel as it looked really nice on the website. On arriving we found the car parking was actually rather limited, definitely not enough if every room was booked. Our room was spacious and the kitchenette was a nice touch - in fact, one of our main reasons for booking. Unfortunately the cleaning left a lot to be desired; not one of the glasses in the cupboard had been properly washed up and all had dregs of red wine in the bottom. I felt a bit guilty about our 11 month-old daughter dropping bread crumbs on the carpet until I reached down the back of the bed for something and discovered an empty plastic wrapper that had possibly been there as long as all the dust. When I wanted to give my daughter a bath, I first had to go to reception and ask for a bath plug, then I had to clean the bath myself after discovering hairs in it that definitely didn't belong to any of my family. The shower hose was so worn out that it leaked terribly. Redecoration needed.

Most of that I could have forgiven if we'd had an apology, but what really took the cake was coming back from sightseeing at about half past four, having been out since nine, and finding our room unlocked. We immediately went and informed reception, but the hotel owner fobbed us off with a lame excuse about the rooms still being cleaned and a member of staff being "up there". In fact, no one was "up there" and the front door of the hotel was often left standing open, so we could have been anyone wandering in off the street (the front door isn't within eyeshot of the reception desk).

Breakfast was mediocre, not substantial or wonderful as other reviewers seem to think. At least there was a vegetarian option.

Room Tip: Triple room spacious and came with kitchenette and table/chairs so you can get a takeaway (cheaper t...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family