“Nice surprise”

The Old Tom Oxford
Ranked #223 of 640 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A literal stone's throw from Carfax, the crossroads that marks the centre of the city of Oxford, Old Tom has provided a welcome watering hole for Oxford's town and gown since at least the end of the 17th century. In its three or so centuries of history, Old Tom has enjoyed many faces. Today it is a unique experience that perfectly combines old world English pub sensibilities with the very best in Thai cuisine. Old Tom is sister restaurant to the highly successful Monkey and Me in London's Marylebone. Both restaurants serve delicious Thai food that stays true to its Eastern origin. We source only the best and freshest spices, pastes, vegetables and herbs direct from Thailand, through our partners Thaitana. This way we know that all our dishes are made with the finest quality Thai ingredients to match our fine range of Green King ales. A surprisingly perfect combination.
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Went in search of pub food and found Thai. Really impressed with quality and freshness of food and also friendly service. Get in early or book as it does get cramped when busy

There are newer reviews for The Old Tom Oxford

Reviewed July 20, 2013

My favourite restaurant in Oxford. The Thai food is amazing, the staff is friendly and the serving sizes are generous. I really like the ambience too, but the only downside is the limited seating space which can make the place a little cramped when full. Well worth a visit though.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

I've eaten here a number of times and actually go out of my way to venture here whenever possible. The Thai food is really good, I have no complaints. The ingredients are fresh, the flavours well rounded and the price is fantastic! My only complaint, if you can call it that, is that there aren't more dishes for me to try. But I guess thats the key.. keep it simple and excel in that.

The Old Tom is an interesting venue, steeped in Oxfordian history and a great central location.

1  Thank Luv2TrvlOxford
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Visited the Old Tom last week whilst spending a few days in Oxford. The front section is a true 'olde worlde' pub, with a selection of real ales on offer and a cosy atmosphere. To the rear of this long, narrow building are tables set out as a dining area and this is where some delicious Thai food is served (although you can choose to eat your meal in the 'pub' section or out in the courtyard). My friend from the States who was with me was so surprised at the contrast between pub and restaurant that she quite forgot she had intended to dine on 'real English food' and decided we'd eat at the Old Tom instead!
My friend had the chicken Pad Kra Prow, which she declared 'not quite spicy enough' - although it is marked as 'spicy' and I had the beef Pad Priew Wan which was just right for me. Listening to some other diners, I think had my friend stated she liked her Thai food VERY spicy she would have been catered for.
We sat out in the rear courtyard and this could do with a bit of TLC - chairs were metal and uncomfortable and there was a somewhat shabby look to it.
Overall a charming pub, with pleasant staff, good service and reasonable prices. I shall certainly visit it again when next in the area!

2  Thank MaggiePlym
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Few people talked to me about this place... Really disappointed. One of the chefs had to come to take our starter off..
Maybe it's not that bad, but when the people talk about one of the best Thai food places in Oxford have to be kidding.
I'm not coming back.