“Wonderful Thai food”

The Old Tom Pub
Ranked #208 of 629 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Traditional pub serving Thai food.
“Wonderful Thai food”
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

My favourite restaurant in Oxford. The Thai food is amazing, the staff is friendly and the serving sizes are generous. I really like the ambience too, but the only downside is the limited seating space which can make the place a little cramped when full. Well worth a visit though.

Visited July 2013

• Korean first
Oxford
“Absolutely delicious”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I've eaten here a number of times and actually go out of my way to venture here whenever possible. The Thai food is really good, I have no complaints. The ingredients are fresh, the flavours well rounded and the price is fantastic! My only complaint, if you can call it that, is that there aren't more dishes for me to try. But I guess thats the key.. keep it simple and excel in that.

The Old Tom is an interesting venue, steeped in Oxfordian history and a great central location.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Luv2TrvlOxford
Plymouth, England
“Strange mix that works!”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Visited the Old Tom last week whilst spending a few days in Oxford. The front section is a true 'olde worlde' pub, with a selection of real ales on offer and a cosy atmosphere. To the rear of this long, narrow building are tables set out as a dining area and this is where some delicious Thai food is served (although you can choose to eat your meal in the 'pub' section or out in the courtyard). My friend from the States who was with me was so surprised at the contrast between pub and restaurant that she quite forgot she had intended to dine on 'real English food' and decided we'd eat at the Old Tom instead!
My friend had the chicken Pad Kra Prow, which she declared 'not quite spicy enough' - although it is marked as 'spicy' and I had the beef Pad Priew Wan which was just right for me. Listening to some other diners, I think had my friend stated she liked her Thai food VERY spicy she would have been catered for.
We sat out in the rear courtyard and this could do with a bit of TLC - chairs were metal and uncomfortable and there was a somewhat shabby look to it.
Overall a charming pub, with pleasant staff, good service and reasonable prices. I shall certainly visit it again when next in the area!

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank MaggiePlym
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Over rated”
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Few people talked to me about this place... Really disappointed. One of the chefs had to come to take our starter off..
Maybe it's not that bad, but when the people talk about one of the best Thai food places in Oxford have to be kidding.
I'm not coming back.

• Visited April 2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Very good Thai food”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

This place serves authentic and very tasty Thai food. I think it's better than other more well known Thai restaurants in Oxford. Try to get a seat in the front part of the pub as its much nicer than to the back (which isn't bad either just not as atmospheric). used to go to this place all the time when I lived in town!

• Visited March 2012