“Homemade Scones!”
Review of The Buttery

The Buttery
Ranked #394 of 647 Restaurants in Oxford
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Nipped in here for a quick pick me up in the afternoon - we had cream tea and it was delicious! Can't beat a warm scone with cream and jam, much nicer than some of the mass produced things you can buy. Staff were polite - didn't have much dealing with them really other than ordering!

Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

The service is good, the scone is great and the hot chocolate is very good in a cold night. The place is not beautiful but is decent to have a cup of tea or something hot...

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Don't think we have ever sat inside here! You are right in the action with the world all around with shoppers, tourists, students (and bikes) and tour guides. Good food and coffee / tea reasonably priced. The daily specials come recommended!

Reviewed October 30, 2013

On Broad Street, opposite Balliol College.
Good place to stop for afternoon tea, on a good day you can sit outside. Plenty of seats out the back, but if you can, sit in the window area and watch everone strolling past.
An afternoon tea, Large scone with jam and cream (bit skimpy on their portions) £3.80
As we had a large breakfast we shared the scone & ordered an extra tea.
Good friendly staff. Somewhat different than the usual coffee chain.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

The staff were sweet, the coffee was good, tea was fine, and the croissants were fresh. I loved sitting on the cobblestone street watching people and staring at the colleges. I need a lot of sit-downs as I tour, and I sat in the Buttery's area for hours with no dirty looks from servers. One girl was dense to the point of rudeness to my companion, but I think she was obtuse rather than snippy. I can't comment on the hotel above as it has stairs. It is a wonderful location, though.