“good pub food in a nice location”

The White Hart of Wytham
Reserve with OpenTable
The White Hart of Wytham is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #117 of 627 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Under new management from January 19th 2015. You are very welcome to the new White Hart Country Inn, based in the beautiful village of Wytham, just West of Oxford.We hope you enjoy your visit to our new website, where you can find out more about the history of the White Hart and the beautiful village of Wytham, browse our menu, or even join our team of dedicated and professional staff!Please feel free to contact us to book your table at the White Hart or to feedback if you have dined with us before, we always love to hear your comments and suggestions and look forward to seeing you soon!
Bedford, United Kingdom
“good pub food in a nice location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

We visited here on June 22nd and really all enjoyed ourselves. There was a big party of 10 of us and the food and service was good. We had our own separate dining room, which was great.
I can't believe how fussy some people are these days and complain about tiny details.

“Best pub in oxford”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

I visit here with my mother, and she loves it here, the food and service is great fresh home cooked pub grub at its best and great prices.
Well worth a visit if you haven't been before.

• Visited July 2013
Twyford, United Kingdom
“Unfriendly pub but a typically beautiful english country pub.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

Wytham is worth visiting for its beautiful english cotswold stone village houses with post office, shop, cafe and pub. The White Hart is gorgeous and a great start to go for a walk around the surrounding area. Also good for a well-deserved ale after your walk. We didn't try the food, but the menu seems over-priced, may have something to do with the fact that the pub was used for filming some of the Inspector Morse episodes!!! Biggest draw was that the staff were unfriendly apart from perhaps one....You would think, that because its in a village and probably the only pub in it, that the staff would be warm and welcoming. Shame.

London, United Kingdom
“oh dear”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

We chose to eat here for lunch yesterday, big mistake, expensive mistake !
Lovely little pub from the outside, tired and in need of a good clean up and lick of paint on the inside.
The kitchen was apparently under maintenance so they were doing a very limited barbeque lunch. I chose to have piri piri chicken and my husband chose the steak, they were accompanied by jacket potato and salad, with a diet coke and a small white wine this came to just over £35.
We sat in the garden and the food arrived soon enough but it was extremely poor for what we paid. My salad came in a bowl that you would normally put a sauce in it was so small, my salad consisted of a few leaves and one half piece of cucumber that looked like it had seen better days, no dressing although there was a bottle of mayo on the table. I also had one sad and lonely looking jacket potato which was ok but nothing to write home about, my chicken was cooked through and cremated nicely!
My husbands steak was an absolute joke, asked for medium and it was still mooing when it got to the table, he asked the cook to put it back on the grill but it didn't really make it much better to be honest, he ended up leaving it and eating half my chicken, still at least he had a little cube of tomato in his salad.
We made a quick exit and vowed never to return.
This place could be lovely but sadly it is far from it.

1 Thank elliemaybelle
whitehartwytham, Owner at The White Hart of Wytham, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am so sorry that my Kitchen was having a trauma This weekend and our normal menu which runs on a Sunday was not available. Nothing more enjoyable than a Sunday roast with with lush roasted potatoes and fresh garden vegetables with home made Yorkshire puddings and gravy.Mmmmm.

I would be a bit put off too if I could not have this.

None the less we apologised to all our guests on Sunday and explained to you all that we couldn't do a Sunday menu due to the roof collapsing in our 15th century building and that major repairs were being carried out.

None the less we did a BBQ as it was going to be the hottest day of the year and would like to make an effort in putting on some type of food for all that had made an effort to come and dine with us so to speak.

We used meats from our award winning butcher on the BBQ and had discounted the prices considerably.

If at the time you had brought all this to our attention as your husband did to me with his steak, i would of gladly given you a free dessert or glass of wine. I even asked your husband if he would like a fresh piece and we would re plate, he simply asked for the other 1/2 of his steak that was rarer than the other side he had already eaten to be cooked more, we had some nice conversation and he moved on.

Not at any point was their any notification of being disgruntlement or sadness with what i offered.

I am just so sorry that many people use web sites to thrust their opinions on rather than face to face as I know if I was not happy with food and wine purchased I would certainly bring this up with the manager there and then rather than publish on a web site.

It just goes to show that the English complainer is still a passive complainer, me i would like to feed back their and then.

Thank you for your feed back it has been well received and if you would like to call to discuss this that would be great.
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Christmas treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

I have eaten here many times and every instance has been a pleasure - and certainly good enough to both recommend and ensure I return.

The staff are extremely friendly, going out of their way to ensure you are comfortable and very well looked after and the chef, Paul, is both talented and refreshingly generous (as every good pub chef should be!) with his portions.

The lamb shoulder is a real treat, and dining at Christmas both the atmosphere and food were outstanding.

Visited December 2012