“Quirky”

Atomic Pizza
Ranked #167 of 628 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: American, Pizza, Grill
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: An out of this world, some may say unique place for dinner. Come and feast your eyes and bellies on this retro pop culture pizza pad.We are related to the fabulous Atomic Burger, just down the road with a bit more space (and a fab party room)As Bones McCoy once said..It's Pizza Jim, but not as we know it
“Quirky”
Reviewed August 25, 2014 via mobile

As a one off this is a great novelty, some nice food, and very odd drinks, but not somewhere I would eat on a regular basis. Turns out to be an expensive meal, if you ignore drinks, we didn't all have starters and puddings so worked out a lot for what we had. It was however great fun for the children. Worth a visit for a novelty meal, but not somewhere for a relaxed or romantic dinner!

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Oxford-Wilson

Eglwys Fach, United Kingdom
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed August 24, 2014

My daughter is a student at Oxford uni and said we'd enjoy eating here, she wasn't wrong! The service was great, we were served by a nice young man who advised us on what would suit our tastes. I had a fantastic Hobo Mojo cocktail and a lovely Calzone with pepperoni, red onion and Shoomies. The music was a bit too loud for my tastes but as I'm an old fogey I'll forgive that, it did,, however, mean that everyone had to speak louder to be heard. A great meal, interesting venue, good service and would recommend.

4 Thank Ziggyhs
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great atmosphere. Disappointing food.”
Reviewed August 17, 2014

Friendly service and interesting atmosphere. However the food is sub par.

I have decided that being a person who travels often, and eats out, it is my duty to leave honest, detailed accounts of my food experiences, so others can enjoy or avoid the places I have eaten at.

Where it says cheddar cheese on the menu ("Speedy Gonzalis Loaded" nachos in the appetiser section), you will receive "cheese whiz". For those who are unfamiliar with this invention, it is a man made chemical substance that slightly resembles cheese, but is far from it.

I ordered the "Trailer Park Fries", which were supposed to be served with an "aged cheddar sauce". Also covered in "cheez whiz".

My wife sent the nachos back and asked for actual cheese instead of "cheez whiz". The staff were nice about it and replaced the nachos. But the cheese was not melted, just cold grated mozzarella spread over the nachos. The chicken, which was supposed to be "buffalo chicken", was just some sparse chicken chunks drowned in an obscene about of "Frank's Red Hot" sauce. Though not really eatable, she ate what she could, out of politeness or hunger.

I ordered the "Tony Stark" pizza. Pepperoni, steak, chicken, and bacon. It was ok. I would give it a 5 out of 10 at best. Could have had a bit more cheese and been kept in the oven slightly longer.

That is what I thought. Interesting place, but poor food. If you're hungry, go elsewhere.

1 Thank JacobAdams
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Lovely looking place with disappointing food”
Reviewed August 13, 2014

I really want to like Atomic Pizza (and Atomic Burger down the road). It's geeky theme is aimed squarely at me, 90% of the menu is something I want to eat, and the toys scattered around the walls provide a perfect conversation starter. The issue is they no longer sell decent food.

To their credit, the birthday party deal (£12 for two courses; celebrator gets dinner free on presentation of ID) was a good value and this is the only place I know in town that sells cheese-stuffed jalapeños. Otherwise, there's simply no taste to the food - just sauce (and no, that's not how American food is supposed to be). I know the things they sell should taste brilliant - they did when the chain first opened a few years ago. It's simply lost track of what matters - the food.

“Challenge spoilt it.....”
Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

Six of us went and two were going to try the Fallout challenge, however one pulled out at the last minute. Best choice he has ever made. My friend tried it and after three bites had to give up, it was far too hot, the chilli sauce was smothered on everything, so he couldn't even eat the chips. £25 down the pan, they don't even give you something else to eat! I was told out of the 46 that have tried it only 4 have been successful. That should tell them there's something wrong, the sauce needs to be toned down or not smothered on everything, at £25 a go, it's a rip off.
A better challenge would be just to have very large portions, at least the person gets to eat something.
My other friend who likes hot food, tried a bit and it was even too hot for him.
Saying that the normal burgers are great and the place is good, but let down badly my the rip of challenge. It spoilt the night a little.

Visited July 2014