“Lovely B & B, good location.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Diana's Bed & Breakfast

Diana's Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #15 of 84 Oxford B&B and Inns
Suider Paarl, South Africa
“Lovely B & B, good location.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed at Diana's for 2 nights over the weekend. She is a lovely hostess, nothing is too much trouble. Lovely room with en-suite, clean and with everything you needed. As to breakfast, an amazing selection, and an ideal start to the day.
Would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Julie L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have stayed in several hotels in the Oxford area in the last few months and this was without doubt the best value for money I have received. I booked a double room with en suite which was on the top floor. Exceptionally clean and well appointed room. Lovely home cooked breakfast and welcoming landlady.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jackie E
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed at Diana's for a night at the end of June while in Oxford for the weekend. Diana was really welcoming and a great host during our stay.
We stayed in the Summertown room which was great with plenty of space. I would say that, unlike the previous reviewer, we had no issue with the orientation of the TV as it's on a wall bracket and you can simply pull it out and angle it as you need. The bed was really comfy and we had one of the best nights sleep on it of any B&B we've stayed at.
Breakfast was really good with a choice of cereals, juices, croissants, etc as well as the full English.
It was easy to park on the road outside where there are no charges, and there's a bus stop about 60 seconds away at the end of the road. Buses come past every 5-10 mins taking around 15 minutes to get into Oxford and coming back until late at night.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and wouldn't hesitate to return if we go back to Oxford.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Superpaw
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

I'm a student and this is my first time travelling alone and staying in a bnb. I stayed in the summertown room on the second floor. Im quite a light sleeper so i didnt like that the room is directly opposite the breakfast room where guests converse in the morning. There is also noise from the stairs and any family affairs in the kitchen can be quite loud. But then, this room is probably one of the cheaper ones, so its probably not too bad.
The wifi fluctuated quite a bit during my stay since the main connection is being fixed and an alternative one was used. A few times it refused to work. I have quite a temperamental wifi connection at home too, so i did what i usually do, wait for it to work again. It was a bother though.
Breakfast was good, i liked the juice and the croissants. And the bed was comfortable. The room was spacious too. The location was very convenient for where i needed to go.
One way in which the room could be improved is to change the orientation of the tv so that guests can watch it while leaning against the bedrest. Anyway, it was generally ok.
My major gripe is with communication standards. As a first time solo traveller, i was really clueless and a greenhorn to stay in bnbs. I wandered, hilariously enough, in a groggy way into the breakfast room in pjs the first morning hoping to grab some fruit, hopeful that all the guests had gone. I was firmly told to change, and although it was quite reasonable when i think about it, i felt that the tone in which it was delivered was not very kind. In fact, although it may be strongly expected, it doesnt need to sound like a demand.
And now, the really stupid thing. I never really registered that checkout times are uniform. I thought that afternoon checkout would be fine. Hence, i didnt really mention it. However, i received a message from my mum saying that they had packed my things and checked out in my absence at an additional cost of £50. Cost isnt the issue here for me, communication is. I apologize that i made a mistake, but my things were handled without my prior knowledge or consent and hence, i lost a necklace, which they could not find in my room despite careful searching. I was aggrieved and devastated, as it was a new necklace and it was a high charge for that poor service. I hope that this issue can be further and better resolved after this complaint has been made, as i would like the cost of the necklace to be deducted from the surcharge.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Shu En L
Diana D, Owner at Diana's Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
It is not generally my policy to answer such feedback fully unless a person writes to
me privately. Naturally, I am disappointed when anyone does not have a good
time at my B&B. With this statement though, Shu En, you show to me that you are not
au fait with International standards of conduct and hospitality, nor with
the need for caution in expressing oneself openly on the net; from a legal perspective some of what you write is potentially defamatory.

I will though reply on two important points: the £50 charge, was not imposed, (you finally came and checked out at 3:30pm remember) but it would have been perfectly reasonable to have done so when viewed against the difficulties encountered. Also, with such total disorganisation on your part, I suggest you look elsewhere for your necklace. There were two of us (done precisely for such potential accusations) that packed away your things - at 2:30pm, when we had no idea from you, when or if you were coming back.
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

I've just returned from a 3 night stay at Diana's B&B, which I booked on the strength of the reviews here, and the reasonable rates.
The other reviews say it all really, and I fully agree with all the positive things that have been said.
I have stayed at many B&B's over the years and have seldom been made feel so welcome and "at home". Diana takes a genuine interest in the people she meets, while providing an excellent service at the same time, not easy considering the amount of different people passing through.
My single room was clean, comfortable and provided everything I needed.
The shared bathroom ( with just one other room ) was just across the landing and had an excellent shower with plenty of hot water.
Breakfast has everything you would wish for: Cereals, various croissants, toast, fruits juices
and a range of fruit teas. Diana also cooks an English breakfast to die for.
There is a very frequent bus service into town just a minutes walk away.
I will look no further on my next trip to Oxford. I can thoroughly recommend Diana's B&B.

Room Tip: The road is not busy, so noise should not be a problem in any room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank graymole
It was lovely to accommodate you and I thank you for taking the time to review me - I can 'hear' some of our conversation at the breakfast table which is lovely!
Best wishes,
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at Diana's B and B. I was made to feel very welcome by Diana (who cooks a superb breakfast!). I was also very impressed with my room, which was very nice and clean. Although the B and B is situated outside of central Oxford, this actually turned out to be good as it allowed me to explore the much quieter suburb of Summertown, which has many shops and a lovely pub called "The Dewdrop". This was certainly a welcome respite from a day spent dodging cyclists and tourist groups! The B and B is also just off Banbury Road, where buses constantly run into town. I have already recommended Diana's B and B to my family and I would happily stay there again!

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Simon L
Diana D, Owner at Diana's Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
I was very pleased to accommodate you Simon and I certainly hope that you have many more trip to the 'town' side of Oxford.
Best wishes,
Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

We chose Diana's B&B due to the good reviews on Trip Advisor and were not disappointed. Everything was clean and comfortable, the breakfast wonderful and Diana very helpful. Thoroughly recommended although on arrival, the road was a little off-putting, it does not look like a B&B area, but is very surprisingly nice inside.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank layerliz
Diana D, Owner at Diana's Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Lovely to meet you, your cousin and respective husbands! Great group.

Many thanks for taking the time to review!