“Try the sizzling beef steak”
Review of Rosemary - CLOSED

Rosemary
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Oxford
“Try the sizzling beef steak”
Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

I enjoyed a lovely meal here on a Monday night so although the atmosphere was lacking as it wasn't busy, the service was attentive.
The interior is a tasteful and modern dark wood and orange colour scheme with comfortable padded chairs and lovely modern cutlery and crockery.
The food is more expensive than a take away but that may have been because I ordered from the restaurant menu. While I was there, two parties came in for take aways so I'll give that a try next time. Drinks prices are fairly reasonable when compared to other restaurants. £5 for a cocktail and also £5 for a large glass of better quality wine.
The 1/4 duck was very generous and came on a lovely duck shaped plate. Pork wanton were just as expected and the garlic rice was yummy. The standout dish was the sizzling sirloin beef steak which we opted for with black pepper sauce and comes on a skillet with onions and green peppers. At £11.50 it wasn't a bargain but it fed me and my husband plus there were leftovers to take home.
I often leave restaurants these days feeling fairly indifferent but I was impressed so I will definitely be returning.

1 Thank OxfordQueenie

oxford, UK
“Good food, average service”
Reviewed June 19, 2012 via mobile

We've been here a few times since it opened and the food has been consistently good, however it is let down by the service which varies from average to poor. Maybe the service will get better in time, but it's worth a go just for the food.

1 Thank f1photos
Midlands
“"Meh" service, average food, overpriced - and you pay a service charge!”
Reviewed May 26, 2012

I visited during a freak heatwave hitting the country. A few tables are arranged out front which makes nice for fine-weather seating. The inside was cooled, but with soft lighting.

Upon entry, there seemed to be only one waitress available and she was too busy resetting tables to notice my arrival (nobody else around to do a meet+greet). Whilst seated I observed her doing everything - setting/clearing tables, taking orders and delivering meals. Although the place only had 3-5 tables occupied, she still seemed to be somewhat rushed.

The menu consists of coloured text against a dark brown background, making reading difficult in the dim light. A nice touch are the numbered images of meals to aid your choice, but some numbers were obscured by the dish itself so couldn't be related back to the meal selection.

A separate drinks list was provided, one side had soft drinks, the other wine. I didn't see beer mentioned but when I asked a Tsing Tao was provided.

There were no signs advertising wireless internet, but when asked she went to fetch a key and I got online easily enough.

I like the lime flavour of Tom Yam and was contemplating it but when considering the price/size of the main and side I instead settled on the Chicken Bento Box, which featured a main of chicken and chillies in black bean sauce and a side of jasmine rice (boiled), but also came with a side Pak Choi cabbage in chop suey gravy and a container of crispy seaweed.

- Quantity-wise, it looked like someone had bought the first three cartons and tipped only half of each out into the Bento compartments, but it was sufficient for what I wanted.
- Taste-wise, it was "okay" (the boiled rice soaked up the remaining sauce juice nicely) but I found the seaweed too sweet, as though someone had mistaken sugar for salt so left most of it.

Whilst eating I noticed a woman in overalls stroll in to take a shift, yet remained behind the bar for the duration of my stay. Similarly a man appeared behind the bar; neither seemed to tend to the tables (or the bar from behind which they were standing) - the young girl did everything.

Cost-wise, the meal came to around a tenner which I felt was overpriced for what I'd received. Add on two beers at £3 per bottle bumped up the cost, as well as an additional service charge of £1.55 (not sure why I had to pay that - I didn't see any option to obtain the meal without avoiding it, and one lone waitress thinly rationing her time amongst the tables didn't count for particularly attentive service)

Overall, it was okay, but simply that - nothing outstanding. For what I received, the price plus mandatory service charge (especially when they have a sign outside marked "cheap get"!) means it won't be high on my list, and it's not one I would really recommend.

• Visited May 2012
“I've tasted worse”
Reviewed April 13, 2012

Tried it once and it was a bit bland, gave them a second chance still bland. Such a shame looks amazingly stylish from the outside, very friendly, very quick but very empty for a reason.

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Tastiest Chinese meal I can remember”
Reviewed January 11, 2012

Small restaurant with about 8 tables on London Road, Headington.

Street parking available nearby after 7pm.

Doesn't seem to be a website

We visited on a Tuesday evening, and 6 or 7 tables were being used at any one time.

I was recommended a drink called coconut palm I think, a non alcoholic fruit drink which was gorgeous.

We chose a mixed selection of starters, and they were the usual combination of spring rolls, spare ribs, chicken wings, chicken satay and crispy seaweed. We usually choose this type of starter, but I can't remember when I have tasted better. Cost £8 for two persons.

My main meal was Beef with Aubergine, and it was gorgeous. I can't remember having tasted better. My partner had squid with green peppers, and said it was a bit bland, but my meal was delicious.

Total cost for 4 persons, one drink, starter and main meal was approximately £60 to which they add a 10% service charge

The staff were very friendly, and eager to please, but there does seem to be a bit of a language problem. I asked for a finger bowl which is essential if you have the sticky spare ribs as part of your starter, which confused them. I can't believe I am the first person to place such a request.

However overall a very enjoyable meal

• Visited January 2012