“Just wish I'd had longer!”
Review of SoJo

SoJo
Ranked #61 of 691 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Popped in for a very speedy dim sum lunch yesterday and was very, very impressed with the food. For £10 you can have a set dim sum menu which includes two of the five varieties of dim sum you get - I don't remember exactly what I got but there were two prawn/seafood dumplings, a pork variety and two large chicken parcels with sticky rice - it was a great little spread for one and I imagine it would serve as an excellent starter for two. The burnt roof of my mouth is testament to how quickly I gobbled it all down and it was, without exception, delicious. I didn't order a drink but the kind waitress brought over some tap water for me and the equally kind waiter dashed over to stop me from eating the paper the rice parcels were wrapped in, managing to show me how to eat them properly without laughing hysterically at me!

I was in and out in about half an hour because I had to be but I will be going back to linger longer over their wonderful food again!

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I have lived in Oxford all my life and was introduced to Sojo by a work colleague. In the last 6 months I have been here 4 times. Three of these times have been for dinner. The first time we went the waiter asked us if we would like the chef to create a menu for us. We told them what we liked and didn't like and we were not disappointed. The food is amazing and as they say on their website "food is no frills unpretentious rustic food with lots of exotic ingredients, cooked from scratch or prepared with age old methods" which i don't doubt! Superb! Will certainly be returning very soon. Highly recommend if you are adventurous to leave the menu to the chef!

1  Thank Liisylu
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I love Sojo in Oxford! It's the best Chinese restaurant according to Chinese in Oxford and I so agree! Had a meal in Sojo at a lunch and a dinner time with friends. The service was great, they are very friendly and helpful. I recommend the Sichuan style spicy beef with aubergine, Mapo tofu (spicy minced beef with tofu) , Sweet & sour pork and Chicken crispy noodles! :)

If you go there for dinner, I recommend the sharing many many dishes and a bowl of rice like Chinese people do :) It's fun and you can taste many dishes.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Had a great meal here on a cold Monday evening. Crispy duck and pancakes starter was the only standard dish we ordered!
Difficult to give the names of the dishes because they were as recommended based on our preferences. But one was very spicy king prawns and chillies, one was chicken with veg and cashews plus a green veg side. All served with plain rice and Singapore noodles. Not a bean sprout or water chestnut in sight that normally fills out the dishes at lots of Chinese places.
The portions were generous and with a bottle of Pinot Grigio came to about £70. Great staff as well.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

One of my favourite Chinese restaurants in the UK. Sensational and authentic food without breaking the bank.

The staff as always willing to advise and create menus for you while the food itself never disappoints. It's one of the few places in England that you can find authentic Shanghainese cuisine.

1  Thank caspar d