“Cozy Inn”

Oxford Spires Hotel
Ranked #8 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed January 14, 2009

Inn is located 10 minutes walk from Oxford University, and is set back from the road. Room was spacious and comfortable, and the food was outstanding.

If you want to eat classic English food, you may find it difficult in London where restaurants are expensive and quality is iffy. So we usually eat middle Eastern, Chinese or Indian food in London. Oxford, on the other hand, is a great place for English food and drink. I recommend you try Hendrick's gin and tonic (usually served with a cucumber garnish).

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Artaficionado

Reviewed January 2, 2009

We stayed for a New Year Break. We found the staff fantastic. They were polite, helpful and friendly. The room was good, we could have been the first people to have used the bathroom. It was fresh and very clean. Excellent toiletries, good tea making facilities, comfortable bed and a good sized room. The food was 1st class and the entertainment was very good. Disco on New Years Eve was superb. Cannot wait to return. Value for money.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 9, 2008

Stayed here for one night while on a business trip to Oxford.

Overall, the hotel will do just fine, though certainly nothing extraordinary. As has been noted by other reviewers, I also noticed that the rooms were in need of a renovation, but to be fair, the bed is okay and I personally think that is the most important part! Plenty of hot water in the showers. Cleanliness OK. I thought the price okay for the location, really. An easy 10-15 minute walk to downtown oxford and shopping/dining. I previously stayed at the Oxford Mercure and this was certainly a better hotel for the money (I also reviewed that property).

The hotel has a pool and fitness area. The wierd thing about the locker rooms and pool area was that there was a really bad smell there. It smelled like body odour and smelly farts--I had to get out. It was like there wasn't any ventilation at all and the smell had built up. I also though the general cleaniness in the pool/locker room area left a lot to be desired but maybe I caught them on a bad day. I did use the gym and it was pretty well equipped--no complaints there (but I went back to my own rooms for a shower rather than use the locker room showers).

After reading the reviews of the food I was expecting the worst, but I thought the breakfast buffet to be good (I didn't eat dinner there though)--though not cheap at 13 pounds.

To sum up, not the best, not the worst. Hope the smell has improved in the pool area.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank american_expat_CPH
Reviewed December 3, 2008

Having read the latest reviews we were a little worried about what we may find.But all was well.We stayed half board for 3 nights.The evening meal was very good for the price..limited choice but well cooked and hot.The staff were uber friendly and could not be faulted...especially Tiina (from Finland) in the restaurant.Everywhere was clean and the bed very comfortable.so good value all round

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Robtt
Reviewed November 16, 2008

I just came back from a 2 night stay at The Spires, and thought it was a lovely hotel. The room was spacious and immaculately clean - I went with my Mum who is quite a clean freak, and even she didn't have any complaints! The beds were really comfy and the shower was awesome - some hotels I've stayed in in the past have had rubbish pressure / water too hot or cold etc but this was perfect. The staff all seemed nice and helpful. The hotel is in a brilliant location about a 15 min walk from town and looks really beautiful from the outside.

The pool, although not large, was great, nice and warm and clean, also not too busy. The jacuzzi, steam room and sauna were lovely too. I had a massage in the Beauty Room which was soooo relaxing and fairly reasonably priced.

The only drawback is that check in was at 3pm, which was a little late for us but they offered to keep our luggage in a holding room until we could go to the room. We just went for a spot of lunch and then returned at 3.

We didn't eat in the hotel restaurant as there are tonnes of places to eat in town, so all I can say is that the menu seemed quite pricey but no more so than other hotels.

All in all a great hotel in a fab location!!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank AmberQ
Reviewed October 13, 2008

Comfortable hotel in good location within easy walking distance of centre but room a little past its best.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2008

I stayed at the Four Pillars about two weeks ago for business. While the hotel itself is not extraordinary, the location is great as it's within walking distance of the center of Oxford. Rooms were clean but on the small side. Front desk clerks were either wonderful or awful, depending on your luck. After a 12-hr journey, my co-worker was told she couldn't check in because the line of people behind her (waiting to check out) was too long. ??? The clerk told her to come back later. Luckily, the courteous clerk assisting me caught on to what was happening and checked both my co-worker and me in. Not much of a concierge service either (it's a ring binder filled with internet print-outs), but again, with the location, you can walk about 4 blocks to everything.

If you're looking for something luxurious, this is not the hotel for you. But if you're looking for clean, simple and safe at a reasonable price, this hotel will definitely work.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank EilisRyan