“OK Stay - VERY bad breakfast”

Oxford Spires Hotel
Ranked #8 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have read a lot of good reviews about this hotel so decided to stay here. Maybe it is just my luck, but my stay was not satisfying. The staff were quite friendly but could seem a little more genuine.

The rooms were quite nice and tidy but not what I asked for. I asked for a room with a double bed. I called them up 2 days before and they confirmed the room had a double bed but when I arrived, it was two single beds. All they did was push the two beds together and it was quite uncomfortable.

The breakfast in the morning is the BIGGEST let down. There were no system at all for table calling. People just wait outside the restaurant and the waitress comes out and asks 'who's next'. The food was so bad I would much rather have a kebab sober. All the juices were so diluted it may as well be water with a bit of flavouring and colourings. The sausage was un-chewable as they are not cooked properly. The scrambled egg was made of some sort of paste so it sloshed around - how can anyone body screw up scrambled eggs?!?!

In conclusion, the only good thing about the hotel is how spacious and clean the room was.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MYSTERlON

Reviewed February 22, 2013

The hotel is situated within a short stroll of the city. The walk along the river is very nice.
The hotel itself has plenty of parking and excellent spa facilities. Our room was a ground floor standard double. A double bed, desk, small sofa were all comfortably fit into a reasonable sized room. The shower was powerful too.
The sofa in the room wa ripped on the arm and looked very worn but overall the room was in good condition.
We didn't eat in the hotel but the restaurants looked pretty good. We did try getting a drink at the bar but after 10 mins without anyone appearing to serve us we gave up.
Good location for a weekend city break

Room Tip: The separate building housing the luxurious hotel rooms looked very nice.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I only stayed at Four Pillars for 3 nights when I came to Oxford for business. The hotel was ok to use it as a base, but I would not choose it for a holiday with my family. Even for a business trip, it was not too great. Most of the time wi-fi would not work and I could not go online. Although my room was tidy, one of the towels was dirty when I arrived. I understand it is a busy hotel, but things like this are unacceptable even if it’s a 2-star. The swimming pool area was tired, especially the sauna. I only used it once and I would not use it again.

On a positive note: Price - this was an average price for Oxford for a hotel of this class and I got a promotion so it was very affordable. Restaurant – the food at the restaurant was great, I really enjoyed it. Staff at the restaurant was nice and friendly and I would recommend going there even if you are not staying at Four Pillars.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We spent three days at this hotel. The rooms were spacious and immaculate. The food was brilliant and there was so much of it. The service was great. The staff went out of their way to help. We enjoyed it very much. There was nothing we could complain about. We certainly would go again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank roosterwales
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Stayed here for one comfortable night in half term. Hotel and room were toasty which was just what we wanted in February! Comfortable, clean beds and room. Pleasant staff but due to shortness of stay could not comment on the facilities. Breakfast/restaurant seemed somewhat pricey so we caught a bus into town for dinner- every ten mnutes outside the hotel! Also walked it- about 20 mins to the city centre. Only gripe was shower head did not seem to fit grip properly and toilet was hard to flush. Easy to find from A34. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 18, 2013

This large hotel is a typical 3* hotel. I didnt use the "spa" so i cant comment. The staff were friendly and we had some private dining where the food was very good. The hotel does look a tad tired and to be honest could do with some money spent on it, bathrooms are very tired. Rooms are very "late 80's". Breakfast service could do with being looked at, the toasters were very slow and queues formed at the cooked area, for such a large hotel maybe you should have 2 cooked stations. Also minimal fresh fruit!!!That said I had a great stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 16, 2013

This was our second stay for a family party. Buffet food couldn't be faulted, both hot and cold dishes were replenished without having to ask. Breakfast was excellent even in very busy restaurant. Plenty of tables had been laid for large parties. The pool is small but not busy and the children really enjoyed themselves. Our room was large, very clean, good quality bedding, comfortable All the usual bathroom goodies, proper hairdryer. Room also had a double sofa bed. Would have been plenty of room for extra cots.

Room Tip: Large modern hotel, if you don't like walking ask for room closer to reception. Lifts are good t...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family