“what a hotel”

Oxford Spires Hotel
Ranked #7 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at the Spires Four Pillars Hotel, but there are a few complaints that I would like to make and to be seen by your GM.

Friday 25th January 2013

On arrival (Friday 25th January 2013)
at 14:45pm we were both greeted by a warm smile from Dirk. He informed us of the time of the restaurant and advised us where our hotel room would be.
In this case room 167. Rate
10/10..

Room 167 is a large size room, with enough space, however, it does need more ceiling lighting especially over by the desk area. Rate 8/10.

Complaint One:

Whilst My wife was having her one hour treatment in the Spa, at 4pm I went reception and asked why the romantic turn down was not done on requesting it on booking of the room, I spoke to Gabriel about it and he was going to ask the Reception Manager and update myself about it and was not given any update.

Evening meal: 7pm

We had our dinner reservation and was
greeted with a warm smile and shown by the Restaurant manager/supervisor to our table. Table 31. Within a short time roughly 5 minutes we was greeted by one of the restaurant waiters whom took our order. The meal was excellent and well presentation. Restaurant staff where excellent. Rate 10/10.

Saturday 26th January 2013.

Breakfast: 9:30am

On arriving at the Deacons Restaurant for breakfast, we both were greeted by Valentina. She explained to us the two options Full English and then we were shown to our table. Table 37.

Complaint Two:

Full English breakfast:-
1. Harsh Brown - was not cooked well, hard 2. Mushrooms – swimming in oil 3. Scrambled eggs – Too milky and not thick enough, and not cooked properly.

Continental breakfast:-

A very nice selection and overall rating 9/10.

Saturday 26th January 2013

Breakfast: 09:30am

Staff was excellent, it was busy at the time of arrival.

Complaint Three:

Before heading out to Oxford City
Centre on Saturday morning around 10:30am, i went to reception and spoke to Lauren the reception manager. about the Romantic turn down i requested in my e-mail and the time of booking and asked will it be done in the time we come back to the hotel, she advised yes. We came back to the hotel, went back to our room and it was not done. Before heading to the Deacons lounge for a snack, i went to reception and spoke to Rhys to find out why it was not down. He informed me that the hotel does not have petals, and I asked about scented candles. He contacted House Keeping and asked about the scented candles, they advised Rhys no. Rhys then advised me that he will look into it. I did not get updated. (Can I ask on requesting a romantic turndown, if the hotel does not offer it please could you have let me know in advance and of the time of the booking.). I would like you to look into this please and we await your feedback.

Lunch snack in
Deacons Lounge: 2:00pm

Ordered Coronation Chicken on white bread with crisps and water. Waited
10 minutes.

Complaint four:

The Coronation chicken on white was nice, but the filling was little. For paying £5.95 i would expect to have more filling. Rate 7/10.

Evening Birthday
Meal: 7:00pm

On arrival we were greeted by the Restaurant manager and shown to our table 31.

complaint five:

We had to wait roughly about 5 to 10
minutes for one of the restaurant waiters to come over to ask for our orders. I asked for Chicken Creaser salad for starter, nice presentation. After they took my plate away we was waiting almost 45minutes roughly for our main course. We did not get any of the restaurant waiters to come up to our table and apologise for the delay. We both were just sitting down, and we saw guests whom were behind us in the queue getting their main course before us. By this time my wife was getting angry and mad because of the waiting time. It was at 8:05pm we got our main courses. We then had our main courses, and then one of the restaurant waiters came to take our plates away and i asked we are ready for the surprise. The restaurant manager and supervisor and one of the restaurant waiters came up with the cake and sang happy birthday to her, which was nice.
Overall rating 7/10.

After the meal i went to reception and
asked for a wakeup call for 7:30am.

Sunday 27th January 2013.

Breakfast: 9:00am

Restaurant was busy.

complaint six:

At reception I was greeted by Gabriel
and I informed him that we did not get our wakeup call at 7:30am. He advised someone from reception would have called you. We did not get that either. (What if we had a flight to CATCH from London Heathrow airport, would the hotel be paying for our new flight tickets and transfer???). He was going to investigate why it never went through.

With reference to the romantic turn
down had no update from anyone?. Could you please find out why we had no update?

Before departure I asked for the rest
of the birthday cake to be wrapped up. On handing it over to one of the restaurant waiters, Gabriel whom I spoke to said to the waiter its for that guest and he pointed to me. (I did not hear my name called, just its for that guest).

Overall stay 7/10.

A few pointers to make:-

1. On check in give the
guest time to get to their offer a courtesy call, just to make sure the guest is satisfied with the room, and check up on wakeup call.
2. Sandwich fillings need to be more 3. If restaurant is busy the waiter whom is dealing with the guest, advise them how long they will have to wait for their food and offer something to drink comp 4. Use guest name. (did not have guest name used during the stay, i.e. How is your stay Mr Leishman or Mrs Leishman, nothing).

4  Thank MarkandFaith
Write a ReviewReviews (1,883)

Reviewed February 3, 2013

The Four Pillars Spires is misrepresented as being a Spa Hotel; a triumph of photoshop over reality. It is not. It is an ordinary quality business style hotel that has a gym and swimming pool as many do. But don't be under any illusion that you can go and sit and relax in the spa, because the pool fills the entire space and there are no chairs or any area to sit and it was too cold to sit around without being fully dressed. And the changing areas are extremely basic. Also, the availability of treatments appears to be low so make sure that you can book the treatments you might want BEFORE you commit to the hotel booking. Final thing - this is not a 4 star hotel - I stay in lots of business hotel and this was not close to being 4 star. I paid £190 for a night and I am extremely disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IP_Polish
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Stayed in the Hertford Room - a larger four poster in the recently renovated Eastwyke House, having asked reservations which room they recommended.
The room was fine - very large. The finish in the room was OK, and likewise just OK in the bathroom. No bells and whistles, but then the room wasn't expensive. One note, all the radiators were turned right down when we arrived, and it was a freezing cold day in the single-glazed room, so we had to turn them all up full to heat the room. It warmed up about an hour later and was fine through the night- but odd penny punching like that jars a little.
Facilities-wise, the hotel has everything you need, free wifi, even in though Eastwyke House is across the car park. The bar stayed open late so we could have a drink after a late meal in town, although bar staff seemed distracted by a wedding that was on, and the bar itself wasn't what you'd call cosy.
Reception staff were most courteous. One bar attendant was lovely, one wasn't. Overall, good and bad points - but mainly good. Would go back - but mainly for the value compared to town-centre hotels with similar facilities.
Final note - it's just about walkable into town. We walked in and got a taxi back.

Room Tip: Eastwyke House room we had (Hertford) was fine - and very spacious for the money. Nice and quiet whe...
3  Thank benjyjessy
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

I stay in many 4 star hotels for business such as Q-hotels and Doubletree. This hotel was definitely not up to the same standards. The bed was very cheap and not the most comfortable, the bathroom fittings were dated and reminded me of travelodge. There were no toiletries in the bathroom on arrival and the minibar fridge was clearly an afterthought, just a cheap white good crudely placed on the floor.
The view from the room was good however and the reception staff were helpful with a map of the town.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Don_Paulos
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Only stayed here for 1 night and overall I thought it was quite good. I would stay here again though. The best thing about the hotel is their the restaurant (it was amazing!!! - food looked great, tasted great, staff were lovely!) - would definitely eat here again! Breakfast in the morning was VERY busy and we almost felt like we'd been put in the walkway of the restaurant. But the food was nice... The room we stayed in was ok... Tidy and quite large. Not very modern decoration but hey - it did the job. Bathroom was quite large too. There was a wedding held in the hotel the night we stayed and we thought there may be quite a lot of noise throughout the evening but it turned out fine. No disturbances.

There are only 2 negative's I can say - 1) our room was at least a 5 minute trek from the reception. To the point where we'd sometimes feel a bit lost - "are we even going the right way??" and 2) when we came to check out we were asked to pay for extra things (e.g. breakfast and dinner) when we had been told the rate which we'd paid for had included these things! In the end, it did all work out fine... although it is nice for everything to be correct in the first place!

Would recommend people stay here if they're going to visit Oxford as the town is only a 15-20 min walk from the hotel. Very convenient. Would stay again!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the reception - not ages away!!!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FRC111
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed just one night and ate in the restaurant which was good - the selection, the food and the service. Also a very good breakfast. Being able to park free and easily so close to Oxford is a major advantage. The walk into town by road is about 15 minutes, a little longer if you go by the river where there is plenty of boating activity.
The room was spacious and comfortable. We did not use the gym or pool. There is a lot of green space around the hotel which could be pleasant in summer.
Overall, the feel of the hotel is modern, functional, efficient and at their winter rates, good value.

1  Thank ALGY96
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Its at a wonderful location, with quietness in the evening as its little far from the town, at the same time not too far that you can't walk.

Breakfast was good, The room we chose had a balcony, we couldn't use it much as it was raining mostly but I can imagine on a sunny day it will be a great spot to relax. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful.

Rooms were slightly let down for the prices one has to pay for it.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the second floor as the have a better view
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple