“Easter at Eastwyke”

Oxford Spires Hotel
Ranked #7 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a three night break over Easter. The package was great value for money with breakfast and dinner included with the added benefits of free car parking (plenty of spaces) and free Wifi.

Only a ten minute walk into Oxford.

The hotel has lots of kerb appeal and is set back off the road. Obviously very popular given the number of functions taking place and returning guests.

Reception and Housekeeping were prepared for the onslaught of early check-ins for Easter – a nice touch.

We booked the Donnington Room in Eastwyke House. Beautifully renovated and a roll top bath. Unfortunately, I didn’t think about the low ceilings and door frames for my very tall husband!

The House is generally very quiet (we have read the many reviews referring to noisy guests in the hotel!). The hotel offers an evening turndown service in the House however this amounted to little more than ‘turning down’ the bed. In my opinion, don’t do it at all unless you are going to make it special.

There were nice touches in the room such a hot chocolate, chocolate bars and Clarins toiletries.

Have a look at the stunning photographs of Oxford in the rooms and public areas.

Service in the Bar was very good. A little bit pricey but certainly cheaper than the lunchtime drinks we had in Woodstock on Sunday lunchtime! Please can the stain on the TV screen be cleaned or a new TV installed.

The service and quality of food in the Restaurant was much better than we expected given this was a very busy weekend. We particularly enjoyed the salmon and beef. My husband had the chocolate brownie each night. Service on Sunday night was decidedly iffy. We and a number of other tables were left for at least 40 minutes before finally being approached by the Maitre D. The restaurant was quiet and well staffed, so the only explanation is poor organisation.

DEFINITELY go for an early breakfast………….Saturday at 9:30am was like a ‘bun fight’……..best avoided.

In all, a lovely weekend in a nice hotel at a good price.

Would we return? Yes.

Room Tip: Choose Eastwyke House rather than the hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,886)

Reviewed April 5, 2012

Free parking and free pool and spa were the main attractions to this modern hotel, a 15 minute walk from south of the city centre.
We had a spacious comfortable room and en suite. Large bed and sofa and chair and a tranquil view of the gardens.
We did not take breakfast there as it seemed quite expensive.
Some noise as the corridoors are long with many rooms and the hotel was full, but a clean simple base for a stay in Oxford.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 1, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night whilst showing them around the Oxford colleges. The hotel is located in excellent grounds with the ability to walk along the river. The rooms are small and normal for that type of hotel and the food fine but nothing special. The pool was a godsend as there is nothing much else for the children to do on a hot summer evening. On the night that we were staying there was a large high school party. Despite numerous calls to reception asking them to deal with children being sick outside of our bedroom window this was not addressed. We were told when it would end and were expected to suffer until then. Guests should be warned in advance if there is going to be an event in the hotel so that they can choose to stay elsewhere. This place could be fabulous but it is not.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank CatandDogBrussels
Reviewed March 27, 2012

So this hotel is rated 4 star, and while it does charge those prices - I think 4 star is pushing it.

The good things are
- free wifi (caveat below)
- free parking
- less than 15 minutes from the centre of Oxford (Carfax tower)
- warm pool

However, I would define my room as basic at best. There were plumbing issues - shower fine but loo struggled to flush and there was no plug for the bathroom sink.

The wifi was free but the reception rendered it unusable in the room we were staying in.

Most staff were ok. The exceptions were the guy manning the gym front desk on Saturday the 17th evening - was really nice, friendly and helpful. The guy who checked us in ... how can I phrase it... he was not rude but my husband walked away and actually said "goodness he wasn't going out of his way to make us feel welcome"

They seem to have a weird room cleaning schedule - we were out of our room from 10 am to 3 pm, and it hadn't been cleaned. Not a problem but I found that strange.

If you fancy a wander - may I stress you turn right outside the hotel. This is not a fault of the hotel but 5 minutes down the road when you go left and it starts getting "interesting", I am not a fan of "interesting" in a place I don't know.

I wouldn't go out of my way to stay here again but I also wouldn't panic if I had to.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2012

This was our second stay. We use it as: easy to access by car; plenty of free parking; 15-20 minute stroll from city centre and clean and modern. Despite the parkland location and design it feels functional rather than comfortable. Good value if can get a reduced price online. Rooms can be small and the corridors a confusing maze.
Staff very polite.

Room Tip: If you cannot walk far or have a poor sense of direction get a room near to reception!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Have been working away in Oxford and staying in a budget hotel, couldn't get in there for one night so checked out the late availability - what a find, I felt relaxed as soon as I walked into reception to a warm welcome. Room was really nice, well laid out and for me the most important bit - well lit and not too hot! It looked like it had a fantastic views - shame I was there in the dark. Had a lovely and very reasonably priced meal in the restaurant. Would thoroughly recommend for either business or leisure - its nice and close to the city centre too. What a shame it's normallly outside my budget!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank Somuchstill2see
Reviewed March 12, 2012

When booking in we thought wow!, what a beautiful hotel, in wonderful landscape grounds. How disappointed we were by the next morning. The hotel, in a good location, about 10 minutes walk to the centre of Oxford, turned out to be sterile, totally lacking in any atmosphere.The reception staff were polite and helpful. Unfortunately, the bedroom was on a par with Premier Inns and certainly nothing special. There were coffee and tea making facilities, with biscuits, a safe, tv, hair dryer and iron. Breakfast was just over £6 when booked but over £12 if not booked. Not knowing how we would feel in the morning we did not book breakfast. Instead we walked up to a lovely cafe on the Folly Bridge and had breakfast for £3!
The rooms cost £130 on a Friday night and £150 on a Saturday, but after our first night we decided to move to another hotel and paid far less for a much better hotel. The bed was so uncomfortable we hardly got any sleep at all, the sink in the bathroom was badly cracked, in fact from so long ago, the cracks had faded the colour of the sink ... not something you would expect from this class of hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family