“Highly Recommended”

Ranked #12 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
West Sussex
“Highly Recommended”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Great location next to the Park & Ride which continued until late evening. Rooms very clean and comfortable. Staff extremely helpful and friendly. Breakfast everything one could want including fresh fruit salad. I never, ever have cooked breakfast but here I really couldn't resist! Couldn't fault it and would certainly return. We looked out onto the main road but didn't hear a thing.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
HolidayInnOxford, General Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much indeed for your kind and positive feedback following your recent visit to the Holiday Inn Oxford. I am extremely pleased that you liked the hotel, friendly staff, location and that you thoroughly enjoyed your breakfast.
I do hope that you visit again soon, when we look forward to welcoming you back.
Joost van Spengler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Manchester
Reviewed December 17, 2013

The first thing that surprised me was that this hotel in located on a service station. This didn't bother me but it's worth pointing out. The benefit is that there is plenty of free parking!

Check in was swift and friendly and I was informed about the free internet (I'm a IHG rewards platinum member). However, when I got to the room, the free internet didn't work. I then 'upgraded' to the 'faster' service (at a cost) and was so annoyed when it didn't work. I complained to reception and then was put in touch with their IT people, who tried to tell me that the service was working fine. It obviously wasn't! For some people, wifi isn't an issue... but for someone like me, it is crucial!

The rest of my stay was pretty uneventful - the rooms were clean and met my expectations. I should point out that the corridor had a 'musty' smell.

I arrived quite late and then left early, so didn't try the gym or have any breakfast.

Tip: A taxi into Oxford only took about 10/15 minutes. The receptionist told me it would take 45 minutes, which was completely ridiculous (the taxi driver laughed at me when I told him).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review of the Holiday Inn Oxford. I am pleased that you liked the hotel and it's location. I was sorry to learn of your difficulties in connecting to the internet and for that I apologise.
Thank you again for your feedback.
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 17, 2013

When staying at the holiday inn, you know what to expect.
Clean, modern, OK size rooms.
Modern bath / shower (which is very important to me)
==
traveled with our baby, cot was provided - in V good condition.
Kids eat free - the first night nobody offered us the kids menu therefore had ordered her a side dish (which we were charged for).
Second night - we *found* kids menu by the bar. Original bill charged for her meal but when checking out the next morning, we saw a second bill with her dish (from the previous night only) free.
Must say that the restaurant was V busy both nights, with xmas parties, so only was able to dine in the lounge area (which was not a problem, especially when the hotel representative made sure to call a day before arrival letting us know that would be the case - well done).
Having said that, on the second night, staff was EVER so helpful and kind in the lounge area, which was very pleasant.
==
The usual thumb downs for the hotel:
1. Overpriced WiFi charges
2. Overpriced meal price for a very average menu

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Fishbone46
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your recent review, following your recent visit to the Hotel.
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your visit and received good service. However, I was sorry to read that you were not offered the children's menu and for that I apologise.
I do hope that you visit us again in the future and would welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Oxford.
Thank you once again for your feedback.
Didcot, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Stayed here one night for my partners christmas works bash, check in was good room was perfectly adequate clean and tidy and quiet, which i found rather unusual as there were 3 separate parties going on in the hotel that night so this was a plus.
Shower was very good again bathroom clean and tidy
Bed comfort is always a bit subjective, for me the matress was a tad hard but my partner was more than happy with it.
The food at the party was a bit "conveyer belt" mass produced, but for 90+ people this was not a bad effort drinks were the standard hotel price e.g. expensive
The breakfast that was included in the price was the help yourself buffet type and was really quite good.
I am relatively local to this hotel (within 12 miles) so am quite familar with the area i can see why this is quite a handy place to stay if visiting Oxford as it right next to the park and ride.
So all in all i was quite happy with my short stay here and could not find anything much to whinge about ....well done

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andy M
HolidayInnOxford, General Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your kind & positive review following your recent visit to the Holiday Inn Oxford. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and liked the Hotel and location.
I do hope that you visit us again in the future, when we look forward to welcoming you back.
Kind regards,
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We stayed (my wife and I) whilst my son was being interviewed at the University and I have to say that the rate charged for what we were provided with was very, very steep. The room and bathroom were basic, although clean and the bed was tiny.Beyond that there is nothing I can add. Had I paid £60-£80 it would have been fine but at over £160 a night (because presumably it was interview week) it left us feeling very dissatisfied. As a comparison, two nights later my wife and I stayed at the Waldorf Astoria in Edinburgh in a deluxe double room for only £25 more and it was simply superb. If you check out my reviews (of which there are nearly 100 as a top trip advisor contributor) you will note moaning and griping is not my objective but we did not enjoy our stay here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank David D
Dear David
Thank you for including the Holiday Inn Oxford in your latest review. I am sorry to read you didn’t particularly enjoy your stay with us mainly, as I understand it, due to the price you paid. Whilst I obviously appreciate your feedback I would like to make you aware that we offer a wide range of different rates and options throughout the year, including Book Early Advance Saver Rates. In addition to this I would like to reassure you that we will always make sure our rooms are competitively priced when comparing with other Full Service Hotels in the Oxford area.
I do hope that despite your disappointment on this occasion, you will choose to stay with us again at some future date, especially if your son has an opportunity to study in Oxford, when I hope you will be able to secure a more favourable rate.
Kind regards
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

Can't fault the hotel, staff or cleanliness, however there must have been a party or stag do in the hotel as we were woken up to a group of lads in the hallway on their way in after a night in town. I appreciate this can happen in any hotel, overall a good stay and would use again, lots of parking and close to main transport link too

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank HannahJacobs
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for posting your review of the Holiday Inn Oxford on Trip Advisor. I am pleased that you liked the Hotel and sorry that you were woken by noisy guests arriving back late to their rooms - for that I do apologise.
I am pleased that you would choose to stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you back.
Oxford
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I stay in Holiday Inn Oxford regularly due to the business, liked the hotel since it's a ideal business hotel and the staff are friendly.

But the recent 3 stay made me really want to complain about the house keeping. I don't know what's happening, but the house keeping has been really poor. One day I came back to the room, the pillow was on the floor, and the bed looked liek not even finished. I was shocked since I never had any experience like this with any hotel before. another time, a towl was left on the table for 3 days! this time, on day one, I had two bottles of water in the room, one still and one sparking (like it always do), but from 2nd day, there was one sparking water, since I don't drink sparking water, so I ended up drinking the water from the tab. ok, maybe they forgot, I thought, but 3rd day, only 1 sparking water again, 4th day, only 1 sparking water again. This really made me angry, since I also paid attention when I passed the clearning trolly in the morning, they do have still water there.
I don't know what's happying to the house keeping team in this hotel, but it certainly appear very poor service!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank zhenhui
HolidayInnOxford, General Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent feedback of the Holiday Inn Oxford following one of your regular visits to the Hotel. I am very sorry that you have felt let down on your 3 recent stays with us due to Housekeeping issues. This is certainly not indicative of our usual high level of service and for this I do apologise. I would be happy to have the opportunity to discuss this matter with you further on your next visit if you wish to make contact.
My apologies once again,