“Staff & Food excellent!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Oxford

Holiday Inn Oxford
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
London, United Kingdom
“Staff & Food excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Stayed here about 4 months back - and would not hesitate in returning!

Staff were so friendly, especially the bar staff! (Cannot remember the names).

Had room service, and it was excellent - nothing was too much trouble and everything was how we ordered it. Breakfast also really good, sets you up for the day!

Pool was lovely and clean, as was the gym.

If you're looking for a hotel close to oxford city centre, with plenty to do - this is the place to stay!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HolidayInnOxford, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your kind & positive review of the Holiday Inn Oxford. It is always a pleasure to receive such great feedback regarding our staff and facilities and I hope that you visit us again in the near future.
Thank you once again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
East Sussex, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

I picked this particular hotel because of its position, and I wasnet disappointed. Next door to a park and ride which made travelling into Oxford absolutely trouble free. Also having a bus pass made it even better.
The hotel is getting a little tired and needs some up dating. The staff were absolutely wonderful and nothing was too much trouble. Every request was met with a smile and a can do attitude. They should be complimented and certainly made the stay all the better.
A few things that would make the stay better. The towels in the rooms are dismal - perhaps if you upgraded them to a higher specification we would not ask for them to be changed each day. Come on we want fluffy towels not the poor ones that are offered. In fact the ones in the swimming pool are better quality. More walk-in showers for the less able. I have problems climbing into a normal bath so was disappointed that there were no other options. More shelves in the bathroom not enough in the room we were in. The food on offer was not great. We did eat in the lounge one evening. It was quick and hot but not a large menu. More could be made of this as there are not many eateries in the area.
The design of the hotel is a little disorganised as you have to walk through the lounge to get to the swimming pool but once there it is really good. The pool is of a good size with a lane area for those who want to have a serious swim. The water was reall warm, it was all very clean and well worth using.
I didnt use the internet as I object to the cost, though I do appreciate it is a company wide charge, in this day and age it should be free.
All in all a good experience and certainly made that more special be the very good staff.

Room Tip: It can be a little noisy if you have a room on the road side. I asked for a bath with low sides as...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
I am very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us here at the Holiday Inn Oxford and that you took advantage of the Spirit Health Club and the park & ride into Oxford.
I have passed your comments relating to the towels to our Housekeeping Manager for her perusal.
Your comments relating to our staff are much appreciated and have been shared amongst the team.
Thank you once again and I hope that you visit us again.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Got a good deal of £113 for two nights stay, Thurs - Sat. With first night evening meal and breakfast on both days.
Hotel looks rather tired and a bit dated. Reception staff were friendly and check in was quick, as no one else there at the time. Rooms were large and quiet, looking out at the back of the hotel. I did ask for a quiet room, as previous reviews stated it was noisy.
Seating in the bar was rather dirty. Service was prompt.
Evening meal was average, service was good and staff friendly. Breakfast was OK too.
Check out staff were friendly, but a bit embarrassing when quizzed about how we rated the hotel!
Good point is the park and ride to central Oxford which is just across the road. Takes approx 12 mins.
An average stay for a good deal.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room... Rooms at back of hotel quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor following your recent visit to the Hotel. I am glad that you received good service and took advantage of the park & ride service into Oxford.
Cirencester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed at this hotel last sat night , booked through Hotwire at a great price. Reception staff very friendly , when they heard it was my birthday I was immediately offered a complimentary room upgrade to an executive room , rooms adequate , furnishings ok but a little basic . The room service was fast and efficient . Just after arriving in my room reception called and asked if I was happy with the room also if there was anything else they could do to make me comfortable . Only fault I could find if I had to list one would be that the pillows were not very comfortable . Breakfast was superb , great selection and good quality sausages !! Omelettes were also on offer , they were included in the breakfast buffet option and were delicious . The pool looked very inviting .
The staff were all very friendly , polite and nothing was too much trouble . I have stayed at Holiday Inns in the past and always been very disappointed but this hotel was an exception to the rule . I would definitely recommend it .

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HolidayInnOxford, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for your recent review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I hope that you had a good Birthday! Your comments have been shared amongst the team here at the Holiday Inn Oxford and it is a pleasure to receive such positive feedback.
I do hope that you visit us again and take advantage of our pillow menu for extra comfort.
Thank you once again for your comments.
midlands, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed at the hotel and found all the staff very pleasant and helpful.
It is situated on the outskirts of oxford adjacentto the A34, and also next to the park and ride.
(This is handy if your a pensioner and have a bus pass)
The breakfast was very well received all you can eat with a selection of cerials and hot food.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the A34 are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your weekend break and hope that you visit us again soon.
Thank you once again.
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

I've never stayed at a Holiday Inn before & always thought the Travelodge/HI to be the same-I was surprised by the difference.Arriving for a major family occasion ( a Weding) on arrival, the reception was friendly & efficient-I had made a multiple day/rate/client booking which confused me & caused a level of difficulty in ensuring everything was correctly booked. Despite phoning on more than one occasion, I was unable to easily confirm my booking until one of the reception staff finally managed to de-cipher the complexity, return a confirmation e-mail & set & ensure everything was correct.
We sped quickly to our room ( a standard) which included a trouser press, fridge, shower/bath/toilet/phone & TV with facility to buy films & internet connection.
The bed was comfortable, the curtains effectively blocked the light & the room was warm (although I never seemed to get the temp right, putting the heating up then having to open the windows).
The room/bathroom was well kept , the latter provided with small shampoo/body wash bottles, the former having a kettle with tea/coffee/decaf
Breakfast was well provided with a variety of cereals/croissants/toast/jam/marmalade with fresh fruit & fruit cocktails -grapefruit, apple,orange etc. with yoghurt & compote along with full 'english' breakfast inc tomato/scrambled egg/fried egg with the option to have porridge & poached eggs (though the latter can be difficult if you pick a peak time). Coffee or Tea readily available (but again more challenging at peak). Newspapers available every day, there seemed to be a Milk & Cookie tray placed by the computers in the foyer in the afternoons - there were plently of seats in the extended area by the bar allowing guests to sit comfortably or meet & greet.
We used the restaurant facility on several occasions &,though the menu remained static, they had a smaller 'specials' menu which was available at either the bar area or inside the restaurant - the meals were delicious, quickly provided & freshly cooked.
The staff were lovely, 90% greeting you with a smile & good morning etc., they really did seem to care that your stay was up to your expectation - the final day of my stay I arrived at breakfast close (over the bank holiday breakfast had ended at 11.00, the following day 10.00) & though all the breakfast things had been cleared away, a member of staff went out of her way to provide coffe to my Mother-In-Law out in the bar area before we arrived & then asked the Chef if he would provide us with Poached Eggs which he readily provided-I was really impressed by this-everyone seemed extremely busy with their expected work schedules but went out of their way to help - from asking for fridge space for the remains of our cake at 2.00am to asking for an emergency shirt clean (provided in 1 1/2 hours), nothing was too much trouble.
As a note, the premier room facilities included an ironing board, water in the fridge & a Mars Bar - at least that was my impression of the difference!
Though I never used the Swimming Pool/Gym several of our party did with enjoyment
The last time I stayed at Peartree, I stayed at the Travelodge, the Holiday Inn is really a much more pleasurable experience which I thoroughly enjoyed

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for posting such a lovely review on TripAdvisor following your family visit to the Holiday Inn Oxford. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback relating to our Hotel, staff and facilities and I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay.
I hope that you will visit us again in the future, when we look forward to welcoming you back.
Thank you.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Booked this hotel with my wife it was on offer for two nights for the price of one in an executive room. We booked it because the park and ride bus stop was just across the car park that went in to Oxford. We only stayed one night the room was cold even with the thermostat turned up full, the towels were old and gray looking there was only one bathrobe we didn't use it also was gray and shabby.
The lounge area was cold and draughty a cup of coffee was £3.30 it was just instant froth a pot of tea for two was £6.10 all over priced.
The worst thing was when we got home the next day or so I was covered in small bites all over my body the bed was infested with bed bugs will never stay there again. It cost 10p per minute to phone the hotel to complain what a rip off.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Peter J
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit to the Holiday Inn Oxford. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your visit and we take negative reviews in all circumstances very seriously.
I can confirm that your bedroom was taken out of service and a full investigation was carried out, both by our Head Housekeeper and an outside contractor. No evidence of any bug was found and there have been no other reports of this nature by other guests.
Thank you again for your feedback.