“Guinness lovers beware” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
ballymoney
“Guinness lovers beware”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Visited Holiday Inn Oxford for one night , The reception staff were exceptional, polite,friendly and very welcoming . After checking in and settling in to my room a phone call followed to enquire if everything was to my satisfaction and anything else I required.. Wow that's service !! The room in terms of cleanliness,warmth ,lighting ,hot drinks ,fridge not to mention a modern tv . Definitely couldn't fault this Holiday Inn and would recommend it to anyone !!
My only gripe !!, I'm a Guinness drinker for over 40 years , I have never seen my favourite comfort drink poured like a pot of coffee , the head dumped out and refilled , at £4.25 a pint I would like more professionalism from bar staff.
I personally found my brief time at the bar shorter than I wished. Personally I think management need to address the failings of the bar with the superb job that has been in general. All in all doesn't take away the flesh of the chop that is Holiday Inn Oxford . Just left the bone at the Bar!! Definitely will return .. Hope to see you soon

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
HolidayInnOxford, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
I am very pleased that you had an enjoyable visit to the Holiday Inn Oxford and thank you for your positive comments relating to the staff, facilities and the hotel.
With regard to your 'guiness' experience please accept our apologies, we have a new member of the bar team who has now undergone further training and will be ready for your next visit - when we look forward to welcoming you back!
Thank you once again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed just one night on our way back north. It was a great stopover hotel, with very clean comfortable room. The leisure facilities are very good, The staff were professional and very helpful. The breakfast was also good, service was quick. We will certainly stay again, the family rooms are great.

Room Tip: Family rooms are great
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your recent review following your recent visit to the Holiday Inn Oxford. It is always a pleasure to receive such a complimentary review and I have shared your comments amongst the whole team.
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and do hope to welcome you back to the Hotel in the future.
Thank you.
Surrey UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed here for New Years Eve for one night only. Checked in at 9pm, which was quick and the gentleman on reception was very polite and friendly. Car park is big and it is free to park which is always good.

We had paid to stay in one of the Executive Rooms which was on the 4th floor. The room itself is a normal sized hotel room that you would expect. The bed was an ok size, snug as opposed to having plenty of room. I can't quite see how they call it an Executive room though, there were 2 bathrobes on the bed that looked and felt very old and worn. The TV was a nice size, and the bathroom was ok. The pillows were very firm and stiff which resulted in a stiff neck but I was advised that I could of asked for different pillows which I never took note of before.

However upon wakening Myself and my partner was itching on our arms and legs, we noticed that we had both been bitten during the night. I had three bites on my arm and under my arm and my leg and my partner had been bitten on his leg. We never had the window open at any stage and we didn't notice anything flying around in the room so I mentioned it to reception. The gentleman who I believe was called Ian called housekeeping straight away for them to go and inspect the bed for any bedbugs, this was done straight away and we was advised that nothing had been found, he also wanted us to check the bed with housekeeping too but nothing was found. The room was going to closed off for 24 hours and inspected throughly once we checked out.

The breakfast was ok, I have had better from a hotel before. The hash browns tasted stale and hard like they had been sat there for a long time and the eggs were under cooked, guests were requesting that they were to be cooked more.

Overall it was an ok stay with The Holiday Inn, the building itself is nice, big and clean. The rooms were okay, maybe over priced for what they are however we did stay on NYE which may of resulted in a price increase but I am not sure I would stay here again. I may be quite fussy and have specific needs but they are important to myself and make my experience at hotels, and due to my partners job working away from home we do stay in a lot of hotels. The staff however were very helpful and friendly and made up for the few bad experiences we had there.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HolidayInnOxford, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for posting your recent review following your stay with us on New Years Eve. I was pleased to learn that you liked the Hotel, staff and its facilities.
I have noted your comments relating to your bites. As you know, our Housekeeping team did a thorough investigation and nothing was found. The bedding was all washed, the room was then thoroughly cleaned and closed off for 24 hours.
I do hope that this incident has not deterred you from visiting us again in the future, when we look forward to welcoming you back.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

Convenient location for oxford city and Bicester. Kids stay free! Excellent for families and esoecially friendly service. Little minus with trays staying for a while in corridors. The food is great and again the service is mighty friendly and nice.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank curiousBenjie
HolidayInnOxford, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Many thanks for your recent review posted on TripAdvisor following your recent visit to the Holiday Inn Oxford. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you return to visit us again in the near future.
Thank you once again for your comments.
Oxford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

I had another great stay at this Holiday Inn recently. A good efficient check in and a clean comfortable room. The only slight letdown was the room service food. I ordered the steak and cheese baguette with chunky chips and a side of onion rings. The chips and onion rings were good but the baguette was soggy and contained a tiny bit of very tough and very fatty steak with such a small amount of cheese you couldn't taste it at all. At Nearly £15 this was very poor value.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I would like to thank you very much for your comments relating to your visit to the Holiday Inn Oxford and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay.
I am very sorry that your Room Service was not up to our usual high standards and your comments have been passed to our Food & Beverage Manager who joins me in my apology to you.
Thank you agin for your comments and I hope that you visit us again in the future.
Reading
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

I have just stayed here for one night. I am and was throughly impressed. The hotel building is an impressive structure with a modern design. You can see this from the A34, but has separate secure parking. When I got out of my car i could hear and see the A34, but once inside you forget.

The hotel has a large spacious entrance and reception area.

Upon arrival the customer service and greeting was excellent and i was made to feel very welcome (think was Ian Duty manager). All staff seemed friendly, pleasant and wanting to please. The room was large, spotlessly clean and a real pleasure to stay at.. The view from my room was the A34 but you cannot hear it.

A treat of a Holiday Inn, with excellent staff. Thank you

There is even a hairdressers and Spirit fitness centre.

Room Tip: Probably avoid one facing A34, although you canot hear it....
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your recent review following your visit to the Holiday Inn Oxford. It is always a pleasure to receive compliments relating to our Hotel, staff and facilities at the Hotel and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
I hope that you visit us again soon, when we look forward to welcoming you back - thank you.
Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

My husband & I drove were on holiday over the week of Thanksgiving traveling around Scotland, England & Wales. We arrived in Oxford on Thursday, the day of American Thanksgiving, and asked if there was anywhere we could get turkey and American football. There wasn't anywhere close by, but one of the staff, Douglas helped us get to watch American football, and tried to find us a Thanksgiving dinner in Oxford. We very much appreciated all of his efforts! The rest of the staff was great as well. The only con is the internet was expensive, overall a very nice time for us!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cindy P
Thank you very much for such a complimentary review posted on TripAdvisor following your Thanksgiving stay with us here at the Holiday Inn Oxford. I am very pleased that our Operations Manager was able to meet your requests and I have shared your lovely comments amongst the team here at the Hotel.
I do hope that you will visit us again in the future and many thanks once again for your feedback.