“Really poor and dissapointing”
Review of Holiday Inn Oxford

Holiday Inn Oxford
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed May 22, 2011

Arrived at 1400 (so not late) had booked a TWIN room for myself and best friend ( we meet up from different areas in country once a year). Told there must be a mistake as do not have twin room booked. manager told us nothing he could do except give us a family room where one us us could have the sofa bed!!!!!. Said hotel fully booked ...... but , .not our problem was it. Tried to get 2 singles - but rooms not close by. Told hotel was fully booked ( there was a wedding going on same afternoon) , and basically tough. Booking slip clearly stated TWIN ROOM. Manager was very offhand and said nothing he could do. We finally and unhappily made do with executive double room (top to toe) but standard of room was dissapointing and if that was an executive, wonder what on earth ordinary is. Room clean and ok, only set up for one, 1 robe, 1 mars bar. manager - was apologetic re his attitude, but it didn't change the outcome.
Booked meal in restaurant for evening at check in....... when we got there - no record of our booking! Meal was terrible, asked for a starter to share, when it arrived .....there were 2. Nacho's and dips - well you can't go wrong really, Waited an hour till the main course - Tandori chicken salad ........ DO NOT ORDER IT....... it came as a small pile of leaves with a chicken breast sliced up and half a jar of tandori sauce poured over the top.....completely ineddible, we had to remind the staff that it came with naan bread which arrived straight out of the fridge, not heated in any way. After sending this back we ordered a platter to share ( by now it was getting late) chicken goujons and onion rings obviously deepfried or microwaved to within an inch of their life, we gave up and left (unfortunately we had prepaid for the meal) the lady in the restaurant did however give us our wine for free because of the bad experience. Wonder whether the chef was incapable of cooking for a wedding party and hotel guests as well, although from the standard of the food i can not believe it was cooked ( well it obviously wasn't) but put together by anyone who could actually call themselves a cook.
Second night - not suprisingly we ate out, but later asked for coffee in the lounge, at the bar we were told that after 23.30 you can only have drinks charged to your room ( as i hadn't registered a card on arrival, (choosing to pay by cash) I was sent off to receptionm, where i was told i could order the coffee to my room but there would be a charge to my card of £25 !!!! Finally we gave up asked for milk and made our own coffee in the room.
On check out , manager there again, and was almost too keen to apologise again for what had happened, however would never stay there again and would actively suggest to friends and family to avoid
Sadly , we were just expecting a kind of standard hotel, holiday Inn, big chain, not expecting anything superior, but this was just poor , very poor.

Room Tip: Don't even try - mistakes with bookings,
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank ThelmaandlouiseUk

Reviewed May 9, 2011

Stayed at the hotel on a bed and breakfast basis over 4 nights whilst visiting friends and attractions in the area. Had an executive room which was very good. All services and staff were first class as was the breakfast and the one evening meal that we had. However, the wine seemed a little expensive.
Had a 10% discount on drinks and food as a Priority Club member which was nice. Good free parking and very handy for everywhere including a very short walk to the Oxford Park and Ride.
Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Clive S
Reviewed May 2, 2011

I cannot understand anyone complaining about this hotel. The staff were so friendly and helpful. The food was ok. There was no noise from the motorway and the park and ride bus is just a hop away which takes you into town. There is a Waitrose and a KFC in the services should you wish to eat there.

Overall great stay and would return.

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank Realtai
Reviewed April 20, 2011

Overnight stay for buisness trip - free wifi only worked in bar area which was small and crowded. rooms in dire need of re-painting and modernising. Generally not upto standard. Food over priced and drinks especially expensive!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 17, 2011

I booked 4 nights in the HI because it is near to a conference I was attending that week. The conference was at the Barcelo hotel. I had stayed there before and was disappointed so I thought I would try the HI in the hope that it would be better. It was not.

It got off to a bad start as soon as I approached. There is a little loudspeaker placed over the entrance door that emits strained distorted muzak at you. Luckily it is not very loud. Inside, the entrance hall has no decor, neither has the reception desk. It reminds me of a TravelLodge or Premier Inn but at twice the price. This impression was confirmed when I got into my room and found no decor, a cheap single sheet instead of the substantial bedding I was expecting, cheap thin pillows, and no drawer unit for clothes. There were some toiletries in the en-suite (unlike a TravelLodge) but they were cheap. I immediately felt that I had been conned and wondered what else would be wrong. I soon
found out.

After examining the room for a bit I phoned reception with a few questions. "I can't find the safe in the room, where is it please?" I said. This was met with a brief puzzled silence so I explained that most hotel rooms come with a safe where you can put your wallet, keys, passport etc. "The safe is in reception" I was told. After struggling on for a few minutes I eventually gave up on that one and asked where the DVD slot was on the television so that I could watch films. The TV is quite good. It is large with a clear high quality picture. But I was told that it cannot play DVDs (there is no DVD player in the room either). It seems they expect you to pay for their rather expensive and limited choice films which are piped to your room. No thanks. Then I asked for the password for the Wi-Fi.
Nope. You've got to pay for that too! Then I tried to cool the room down. The so-called air conditioning was feeble and noisy, as expected, so I tried to open the window. It had been rigged so it could only open a couple of inches, just like a TravelLodge room.

At breakfast I saw a narrow entrance with a sign saying that you to wait to be seated. This turns out to be no service at all. They supposedly help you find a table -- big deal, breakfast is actually self-service and I can find a table on my own. The only other thing you get from the 'service' is they offer you coffee but it is the most revolting coffee I
have ever had in a hotel so the other mornings I just went straight through without waiting. Some of the tables have extremely low lights. They are hung over the table with flex that is so long you knock your head into the lights as you sit down, or get up. I complained about this but it seemed to me like they didn't understand and didn't care. I showed them how the position of the lights made this problem inevitable but all
that happened was the guy mumbled something like 'yeah, the lights are usually tied up high to stop that'. Needless to say, the lights stayed that way the whole time I was there. I avoided sitting in that part of the room.

The quality of the breakfast was mixed. The pastries, croissants and fruit juice were very good. There was also black pudding which was good and makes a pleasant change. It's not available in a lot of places these days. There was fried and scrambled egg and both were good. However, the mushroom were boiled, not fried and the baked beans were sometimes hard and barely warmed through. The bacon was greasy, fatty and obviously cheap so I didn't even try it. The sausages were just about eatable but also very cheap. Many of them weren't cooked through. Since this is what breakfast was like I didn't bother to see what the main meals would be like -- I guessed.

The room was clean and tidy and was made up properly each day, with toiletries and tea/coffee replenished. The room is slightly larger than a TravelLodge room, but only slightly. The hospitality tray had real milk, not the powdered stuff that is so common these days. But there were no biscuits and no hot chocolate. The towels were small
and a bit on the cheap side. The shower was not a power shower and emitted a rather feeble stream. It was plenty hot enough though with good control.

The car park was a decent size and parking is free. There is a strange exit code system (you get the code from reception) for leaving the car park.

When I checked out I used my debit card to pay. This was the same one as the card I presented when I checked in. The card machine asked me for my PIN without disclosing what I was agreeing to. I refused. An argument ensued. Apparently if you checkin with a debit card and use the same debit card to pay then you cannot verify what money will be deducted from the card. They tell you, but that's not good enough for me.
This is actually a design fault in the card machine but the hotel staff are not interested in making things better or listening to guests complaints. There is also a very real danger that you can be charged wrongly, which you do not find out about afterwards. I note that this has happened to several other reviewers for this hotel.

Based on my experience here I will never stay at a Holiday Inn ever again. It has completely ruined my impression of the Holiday Inn brand. It was ok but I expect more than just ok for 90 pounds a night. It is very overpriced for what it is, the staff don't understand and don't care, the payment system is bad, the rooms and food mediocre. Next time I will stay in a local B&B.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank apm35
Reviewed April 10, 2011

Recently arrived back from our second stay at this Holiday Inn. Although at first the location seems strange, access to the city centre is fairly easy. You can either get a taxi (taxi from Oxford train station to hotel cost us £11.50) or a park and ride bus service literally over the road. The latter is very handy and the bus runs fairly late too.

In comparison to other Holiday Inn's this is fairly new, with a presentable reception area. Room was basic as expected, but had everything you needed, including 20+ TV channels to keep the children enteratained. Although the fridge is empty, it is handy for storing drinks/food.

We ate in the restraunt on the first night, booking it as we arrived. Meals weren't the greatest, but the service was good. My son had the best meal, which was the chicken fajitas, very nice!
Breakfast was on the other hand very good.

We were impressed with the health club. The gym is spacious with plenty of machines, both times virtually empty. Spacious changing rooms, simple swimming pool with sunbeds, steam room, sauna and jacuzzi. I think fitness classes were also available too!

On the whole, it was an enjoyable stay and just what we exepected from Holiday Inn, would recommend.

Room Tip: The bar outside is very relaxing on a hot day!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank jackluhg
Reviewed April 6, 2011

We had planned to use the Spirit Health Club at the HI Oxford for my wife's birthday. This deal included two spa treatments each.

We were called in the morning of the day - to be advised that due to staff illness, the day would have to be cancelled. I empathised with the staff, however, this caused us a majot inconvenience, since we'd both booked this day off work.

I asked for some form of concession (lunch voucher) but all they could offer was access to the facilities, nothing more.

I must say, having stayed in many HIs before, this is very bad customer service. I only hope that the other clubs don't offer the same policy.

Avoid if you expect good customer service.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple