“I wish we lived closer!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oxford's Grill

Oxford's Grill
Ranked #19 of 622 Restaurants in Oxford
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Oxford's Grill Restaurant reflects the abundance and fertility of the Mediterranean region in its character and has thoroughly acquired its outstanding flavours. It is a stylish brasserie restaurant providing comfortable dining in authentic and intimate surroundings with plenty of lighting, with mutual relaxing environment which provides a warm and cosy atmosphere. We provide efficient and friendly service and our guests are served only freshly prepared dishes by our by our chefs with great culinary experience. You can enjoy a wide range of dishes from our restaurant, lunch set, a Turkish cuisine and chef's specials menus as well as Special offers. We make your special occasions unforgettable.
London, United Kingdom
“I wish we lived closer!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

We had lunch here on spec on a visit to Oxford and it was absolutely fantastic. Two courses for £5.95, no that is not a typo! The quality was superlative, with fresh flavours and great presentation worthy of a much higher price. We both love Turkish food and visit Turkey frequently, and this was some of the best quality we have ever eaten, either in Turkey or the UK. We were given a little freebie of humous and warm (home made?) flatbread while we waited ( a freebie! at this price!) Mixed meze to start included roasted vegetables, borek, tabbouleh and kisir which were all wonderful and very prettily presented. My lamb shish was great, tender and flavoursome, but I lusted after my husband's kofte which were something else. Washed down with a bottle of efes each this was a really fantastic lunch. Charming service as well. Please open a branch in NW London!

• Visited August 2012

• Turkish first
Oxford
“Another wonderful meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

I have eaten here several times, as a couple, a family and also with guests. The chef is outstanding, fresh ingredients, cooked from scratch, a real depth of delicious taste and always beautifully presented. This has been my consistent experience over quite a few visits - never an off-day. The free warm bread and houmus is outstanding, I'd pay for it any day. Their meal offers are outstanding value - e.g. 2 course dinner (plus the bread/houmus) and a glass of wine for £10! Main course service can be a little slow but this is so obviously because everything is cooked to order and, the moment you taste the food, all is forgiven!! This place will catch on so, frankly, I would go there soon before it gets too busy....

• Visited August 2012
Bergen, Nieu Nederlandt
“All in all, quite good...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

A recent visit (July 2012) to Oxford's Grill (OG) on Cowley Road was, all in all, quite good, though there were a couple of things that were negative and hold me back from raving all out about the place.
First off, the main point of a visit to a restaurant is the food and the food I had at OG was really delicious and served in good sized portions at reasonable prices. There are two course lunch and dinner options (with a more limited range of dishes available for each course) which, at £5.95 for lunch and £9.95 for dinner, are quite a good deal. On my recent visit, however, I decided to order items that weren't on the menu list.
Complimentary appetizer: hummus and flat bread. Very tasty.
For the first course, I ordered the Imam Bayildi. The positive side is that the dish itself was quite tasty, the negative side is that it was not Imam Bayildi -- Imam Bayildi is a stuffed eggplant (according to their own menu: "Roasted Aubergine Stuffed with onions, Fresh Tomatoes and Peppers, Served with Green Salad") and what I was served was a bowl of sautéed vegetables in a somewhat soupy tomato sauce, without any green salad on the side. The dish I got was in the family of ratatouille, samfaina etc. -- a vegetable stew -- and was a nice starter, but Imam Bayildi it was not. When I asked the waiter about this mismatch of order to dish, he insisted that what was in the bowl was indeed Imam Bayildi. I suspect they were out of Imam Bayildi and I could have easily accepted that better than having the waiter try to bluff me.
For the second course, I ordered the Iskender (£9.95) which included grilled köfte, lamb and chicken pieces on a bed of fried chunks of bread, dressed with a slightly piquant tomato sauce and a generous dollop of yoghurt. This dish was really quite delicious.
To drink, I had a couple of glasses of the house wines - one white, one red, both pleasantly seviceable. I finished the meal with a Turkish coffee, which hit the spot.
Regarding the service, it was for the most part painfully slow and under other circumstances, that could well have been a problem but on this occasion I was alone, with a book in hand, and in no rush to get anywhere. However, other customers around me were clearly growing very irritated with the slow pace of service. The one waiter, who constantly bore a smile and seemed to be a nice fellow, was on duty alone to cover the entire dining room and he was clearly struggling a bit to keep up; eventually they sent someone from the kitchen out to help him and that moved things along.
All in all, very tasty food at very good prices. My only quibbles were about the service but quibbles are forgivable and I would happily return to OG on my next trip to Oxford, if I find myself down on Cowley Road.

Here's the address of their webpage:

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Return Trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

We first visited this restaurant on a Groupon Voucher and it was so good then decided to return for our wedding anniversary. Nothing has changed and whilst very a small restaurant it is homely and the service is excellent; not at all imposing. Whilst we chose from the a la carte menu the fixed price dinner menu offers good choice and is excellent value for money.

Our starters were very tasty, the main courses well cooked and substantial enough to mean we only shared a desert.

This restaurant is highly recommended if you do not want anything flash but good tasty value for money food. If I were to find fault I would say that the tables at the rear are very small but accept that is the only way they can fit them in.

• Visited June 2012
Kuala Lumpur
“Best kept secret”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

Outstanding value for money - two course lunch for £5.95 and the food is really very good. A choice of about 6 different starters and main courses. All the starters are good (except the tomato soup) and the mixed meze (vegetarian) is recommended. The meat dishes are the best main courses - I recommend the lamb shish or the lamb kofte.

Presentation of the food is excellent. Service is good. Children friendly. This restaurant deserves to be busy every day but for the moment its one of Oxford best kept secrets. Enjoy it while you can at these amazing prices.

If you prefer dinner, a two course menu with glass of wine is £8.95. Excellent value again, or go a la carte and choose from a wide range of dishes.

I've eaten here about 8 times now.

• Visited April 2012