“An amazing and affordable gastro pub”
Review of The Rusty Bicycle

The Rusty Bicycle
Ranked #52 of 690 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: American, Diner, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I have to say from the start the Rusty Bicycle is superb!

After looking around on the net for somewhere to eat in Oxford I stumbled upon the Rusty Bicycle, the menu looked good and the prices seemed reasonable so I thought to give it a go.

Unfortunately when I arrived at 3pm the kitchen was closed, (they only open between 12 – 2:30pm & 6pm – 9pm) so I had to return at 6 and it was definitely worth the return journey.

Parking is a bit of a headache as there is no car park but, if you’re patient enough you can bag yourself a spot on the kerb nearby for free.

The rusty bicycle basically is a gastro pub, so you have to grab a seat and order at the bar, the menu is really simple so ordering is not confusing and waiting for the food does not take an not an age either.

For a starter I ordered a meat platter (for two) and it was a massive meat feast of: ham hock, salami, prosciutto, beef, red cabbage and toasted slices of home-made bread, delicious! Possibly the tastiest starter I have ever ordered!

Then came the main, which for me were slow braised sticky ribs, red cabbage slaw and hand cut chips. The ribs were really tender and prepared with asian spices which were great and a change from the usual American style.

My partner ordered the 6oz rusty beef burger, with a gherkin and chips, she definitely liked it because it was gone before I noticed, gherkin too!

With such a great starter and main we had to try the desert, so we opted for the chocolate brownie and a scoop of vanilla ice cream (only £3.25), which turned out to be a great choice.

The warm gooey chocolate brownie with ice cream was just enough to fill my belly to the brim, (good thing I drove).

This Rusty Bicycle is a really good find ideal for a quick bite, dinner or just somewhere different from your standard restaurant.

1  Thank D_the_critic

Reviewed November 23, 2013

I come here quite a lot and I have to say it is a great place to go. It is really friendly and buzzy and the food is just amazing. They put the effort in to find strange combinations that you think does goats cheese and bacon work? but yes it does. If you like relaxed fun places to go then this is great and well worth a visit. Be warned though it does get really busy and you might not get in or will have to wait - but it is worth it.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

The food was good, but coming from the US, having a pub specialized in burgers and pies is not impressive. The burger was surprisingly good though with goat cheese and bacon in it.

The atmosphere was just wonderful. The tables are meant to be shared, and people are very friendly and very willing to do just that. I had a wonderful time.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Food was excellent ... .we could not get in the first night we tried, but managed to find a seat the second try.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

EXCELLENT place! The food is realllly enjoyable, the atmosphere is great, the staff are personable and kind. Really impressed. Will be making a habit out of going there for sure!