“Great neighborhood bar, terribe food”
Review of The Rusty Bicycle

The Rusty Bicycle
Ranked #69 of 635 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: American, Diner, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Taos, New Mexico
“Great neighborhood bar, terribe food”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I should of remembered how horrible food in a bar can be. I'm not sure, but I thought I saw one of the waitpersons go downstairs to.cook after I ordered. I ordered a simple cheeseburger. It was cooked in a way that my grandmother cooked bacon. She saved all the grease from the last time something was fried, then, she would take a spoonful of that grease, throw it into the pan, then in went the bacon. I could of swam laps in the grease that was in my burger. On a good note, the chips and beer were good as was the service. For those who don't mind all things greasy, this is your place. I will only go there for a pint from now on.

• Visited October 2012
Ed N, General Manager at The Rusty Bicycle, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Hello and first of all thank you very much for your feedback. We place huge value in knowing about your experience in our pub. That is, after all, why we do what we do.

I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed our chips, our beer, and our service but am deeply saddened that your burger turned out to be so far from the mark. I can assure you that it must have been a one off and am not sure how it can have come about, especially as our chefs take such a great deal of care in the preparation and cooking of all our burgers. They are hand made from high quality steak mince, supplied from our reputable local butcher, and are cooked, without a hint of grease, on a sloped griddle, the very purpose of which is to drain away any of the excess fat which my come off the meat. The only explanation that I can offer is that occasionally the juices from our burgers do run when they are cut or bitten in to.

I am very sorry that the burger on your visit was not right and I wish that I could have been there to try and make it up to you. I can only hope that you find a way to give us a second chance as we would relish the opportunity to make amends and show you how delicious our home made food is.

On behalf of all the staff I wish you all the best and hope we see you again.

Kind regards,

Ed, General Manager, The Rusty Bicycle.

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Always full of people”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I have been there only 2 times. I've not eaten but drank a lot with a few friend; sitting on the big table righ to the counter.

The menu is really English(I didn't try myself) and they have a good selection of beers and booze.

• Visited July 2012
Northamptonshire, England
“Friendly staff, good atmosphere, good food”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This would be the pub I consider my 'local' - the staff are so friendly, the food is varied, interesting and always good. There is always a good selection of beers and ciders on draft, and the atmosphere is great. There is space outside for eating and drinking, walled in so you're not sitting on the street edge. I would recommend this to anyone.

• Visited September 2012
Oxford
“The bike is absolutely fabulous - could not recommend more!”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Went for an evening meal on a Wednesday. Atmosphere was excellent, staff all very friendly, beer delicious and the food superb.

In particular, the food is all home made, served in a rustic fashion on wooden boards, with home-made mayonnaise which is delicious.

For dessert we had ice-cream with 'added' brownie - this was absolutely delicious, the brownie was perfectly cooked.

Thoroughly recommend this pub - a real asset to the area.

• Visited August 2012
Oxford
“A great pub.”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I visited this pub on a Saturday evening for fish and chips - the food was absolutely wonderful and I enjoyed the atmosphere of the pub. They've got great decor. There was a variety of seating which I found nice. The service was good but a bit frenzied - admittedly, the pub was crowded. Still, I was served within 20 minutes. Food was hot (too hot, actually!), well presented, and very good. (However, I like salt, and it was pretty salty.) I did have difficulty finding the hours this pub is open - try checking their facebook page, that was the only spot in which I found them listed.

• Visited July 2012