“Did not live up to expectation”

everest nepalese restaurant and bar
Ranked #80 of 647 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Asian, Nepali, Fusion
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Authentic Nepalese and Indian, fusion foods at reasonable price and pleasant ambience.otherside of th restaurant is kept as British pub where you can enjoy real ale or extra cool lager. Service is excellent with charm.
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Decided to visit this restaurant in July 2013 because of the reviews on TripAdvisor as we were staying a couple of nights in Oxford. This is actually a pub with a restaurant located in a residential area of Oxford and parking is reasonably easy to find nearby along the surrounding streets. Has to be said, we are struggling to understand why this restaurant is currently the number 1 restaurant to visit in Oxford. The decor consists of lots of pictures on the wall of the Himalayas and mountain scenes and the tables are basically pub tables and chairs. We tried a few of the main curry dishes along with rice, side orders and naan breads. Food was just average, nothing particularly special and we've had far better curries in other restaurants elsewhere on our travels. We visited at the weekend and there were only about 3 or 4 other couples in the restaurant (we thought it would be packed given all the rave reviews !). After waiting over 20 minutes after we had finished our food (no one took our plates or dishes away in that time because there seemed to be a sudden rush of takeaway orders) and waiting patiently to pay the bill, we eventually got up and went to the front desk to pay our bill. Whilst paying, we had the delights of peering straight through into the kitchen area through the serving hatch which is located behind the desk where we watched take-aways being microwaved up for the waiting customers. In summary, a very average curry house.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Lets not mess around ,this is a quality restaurant serving up excellent food, the flavours are wonderful, all the dishes are cooked fresh & taste delicious .
The lamb Momos are sublime, it is a few miles from the centre but well worth the short taxi drive.
Do not miss.

2  Thank mcswegan
Reviewed July 20, 2013

The food was great and promptly served, the staff were friendly and attentive without being overbearing. Overall an excellent restaurant.

1  Thank Snicks207
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Having recently moved to oxford i chose Everest due t the Tripadvisor rating-BUT WAS I DISAPPOINTED!
My partner and I were seated at a table. i looked around and felt quite closed in as all of the tables are very close together. I also and noticed that the table next to us had not been cleared. I assumed the diners had only recently left and that perhaps the restaurant staff had not had time to clear the table.
Our order was taken with advice given by our waiter. We were told that one of our starters would take 20 minutes to arrive so we asked for that starter to arrive with our mains and that we would have our other starters as soon as they were ready. we orders 4 starters and 2 mains.
As we were waiting i noticed that every conversation around the restaurant can be heard by other diners. Regardless of where thy are seated-even diners on the other side of the restaurant could be heard.
Very soon after ordering the waitress arrived with heated plates for our starters. she then presented us with one dish which was a lamb dish. Our entire meal was vegetarian, and had been ordered with the waiter's advice so i don't know how they managed to confuse themselves and bring a lamb dish to our table.
She didnt believe us when we told her it wasnt our dish but eventually I succeeded in having the lamb dish removed.
We were left with the heated plates on our table. there was no sign of our 3 starters. about 5 minutes later the waitress removed our plates and there was still no sign of our starters-how could they have not realised that we had ordered 4 starters?
My partner had ordered a coke with his meal which had no gas in it at all. He asked the waiter to change it for a can of coca cola. It seemed as though they open a can and pour it into a glass for diners and keep the remaining coke for the next drinks order by which time all of the gas has escaped the can-why not just give the entire can to the diner in the first place? I had ordered sweet lassi and was not impressed with it at all. It simply tasted like yoghurt and milk without any sugar.
Eventually our starters arrived. They were not worth the wait at all. There was a measly side salad with the starters-this same salad makes an appearance with the mains.
The mains arrived and although we had asked for our food to have plenty of chilli they too were bland. The starter which we had been told would take 20 minutes STILL hadn't arrived by this point. In fact we were approaching the end of our meal when we had to remind them about it.
The table next to us, the one which hadn't been cleared when we arrived, had still not been cleared as were were ending our meal. They weren't buy on the day I dined there so i'm not sure why it wasn't cleared-perhaps they keep some dirty ables in an attempt to show that other people have dined there that evening?Considering the fact that the tables are so close together I would have preferred not to view the remnants of someone else's meal.
When the bill arrived, that too was not very clear-they decided to group together our mains and drinks and entered them n our bill as one amount. Mains and drinks are two separate pats of a meal so why group them together on the bill?
Having visited this restaurant I can honestly say i wont bother again.
I am Indian myself and I eat out frequently. I first assumed that maybe I had misunderstood Nepalese cuisine but I have eaten at another nepalese restaurant and loved the food.
I eat out in Birmingham and London so I know what s expected from a good curry.

Everest is not a reflection of the true taste of a good curry. They are not a reflection of good service. I'm not sure what they are, but they are definitely not the number one restaurant in Oxford.

2  Thank sunita s
Reviewed July 18, 2013

delicious food at reasonable price with great service. friendly environment...we ordered chicken tikka with naan it was too delicious that we had never tasted...and the dessert was too yummy, even today it brings water in our mouth...i love to visit everest restaurant again with my family and friends...

2  Thank Usha K