“Quality food, attentive service”
Review of Organic Deli Cafe

Organic Deli Cafe
Ranked #86 of 680 Restaurants in Oxford
Cuisines: Delicatessen, British, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: The Organic Deli Cafe has loyally contributed to the Oxfordshire health food scene for eight years. Comprised of a multi-floored restaurant and market in Friars Entry and a local organic convenience store on the Botley Road, the Organic Deli Cafe provides an excellent experience with the finest quality ingredients. The Deli stands ready to accommodate particular dietary needs; gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan diners will find it easy to discover food that’s right for them. The Deli is particularly proud of its bespoke indoor and outdoor catering services.
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Four hot chocolates, four different cakes. All excellent. The cafe was warm and welcoming, service quick, attentive and friendly. Feels really cosy with a genuinely great range of gluten-free goodies available. It's my number one spot to take friends and relatives visiting Oxford. Well placed (if you can find it!) for seeing central Oxford too.

1  Thank Mr B

Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

I fail to understand how this cafe has made it into the top ten of Oxford. They couldn't even make a proper latte and instead served black coffee with a tiny dash of milk - twice. Service was poor and slow. A number of people had to head back downstairs to chase up their order. The young boy serving seemed to forget something on everybody's order. They were also in the process of burning something during my visit which made the entire cafe smell unpleasant. I'm sure there are better places to go in Oxford than this.

2  Thank sla7elw
OrganicDeliCafe, Owner at Organic Deli Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Good Morning,

Thank you for your review and feedback regarding your experience here at the Organic Deli.

You ordered a croissant and a soya latte. My colleague explained there was no soya and i then informed him that we could offer you oat or rice milk - you chose oat. To clarify not a standard latte as described in your review.

You took a seat on the sofa where your croissant was brought to you first followed by the oat latte.
You sent the oat latte back as you believed you were served a black coffee with a dash of milk.

I (the owner) the remade your oat latte and my colleague brought it to you. We noticed that you did not drink the oat latte for a second time.

On further investigation i discovered that oat milk contains rapeseed oil, meaning that the milk will separate making it appear like a black americano with a dash of milk, i tested this again this morning with two of our oat milks and the same thing happens - it may look but doesnt taste like an americano.

This was an invaluable training experience, and great feedback not only for us but for yourself should you order future oat lattes from us or other establishments.

The 'young boy' that you mention is in training, however yesterday he was very much on the ball, in fact he constantly asks customers if they are ok.

There was one gentleman named John who sat by the pillar who did make a complaint to him about his order of a mushroom quiche, which admitedly i had forgotten about. This was quickly rectified, and i suspect you over heard this complaint.

The cafe smell - i agree there was a smell which lingerered for approx 15-20 minutes due to something which i had burned. We will be installing proper ventilation by summer 2013.

As for your comment 'I am sure there are better places to go...'. I apologise for your experience at the Organic Deli, all feedback invaluable.

We are in the top ten due to the top quality locally sourced food what we offer and produce, due to the homemade organic artisan breads & cakes and our specialist gluten free foods. We are in the top ten because we listen to our customers and respond to them with care and the respect they deserve.

Once again thank you for your comments and i trust that you will revist us again in the future.

We would like to offer you a complimentary latte on your return visit.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

I just love this place, its consistenly good, and whilst I lived in Oxford I went here at least once a week, usually after the market. They have a great tea range and the food is soo good and fresh, you can even buy nice homemade loaves bread to take home.

2  Thank Sammidoo
Reviewed March 27, 2013

went here with friend who is gluten intolerant and the owner was so understanding and had so many things she could eat and even great wheat free bread and sandwiches The quiche I had was really delicious and everything was well priced I also got the recipe for the bread and and interesting potato and lemon cake You are made so welcome here and the range they sell is excellent

3  Thank shakirayork
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We made a point to stop here for lunch after seeing all the positive reviews. I'm gluten intolerant, so the fact that the cafe serves gluten-free options was a big plus. We were greeted warmly by the man behind the counter, I got the impression that he was either the owner or manager. We ordered sandwiches and a bowl of soup. There was a mix-up about the bread for both my soup and my sandwich being gluten-free, not sure if I didn't clarify or the request wasn't heard but in any case when I went downstairs to make sure that my sandwich was indeed gluten-free (the bread being the same as for my father-in-law's sandwich) the sandwich was quickly replaced, no problem.
The sandwiches were quite good. The tomato soup, however, was amazing! Especially considering that it was vegan and gluten free. I did think that almost 5 pounds was a bit pricey for a bowl of soup, but it was really well done!
For dessert, we had a gluten free brownie (also really tasty) and I took home a piece of potato lemon cake. I'm wishing I'd gotten a few pieces of the lemon cake, it was so good!
The atmosphere of the cafe is quite cozy, rather like eating at someone's house. Most of the tables are upstairs, via a rather steep staircase, so be forewarned that there is only limited seating on the first floor if your mobility is limited.
All in all, a great little cafe! A little off the beaten path but well worh the effort of finding if you want to relax and enjoy some wholesome food.

1  Thank Kristel K