“Very disappointed”

Ranked #29 of 80 Oxford B&B and Inns
oxford
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Service poor, food average- pasta looked and tasted as if it had been microwaved.
So hot we felt uncomfortable, even widen we opened nearby window. Will not be returning.went with a group of friends as hotel advertises a wide and varied menu . They did apologise for wait between courses as said there were problems in kitchen. Just added to frustration.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
norwich
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Despite being in a very pretty setting, this hotel does not live up to expectations on any level.
The outside ares are in need of a clean, with cigarette butts littering the entrance. Not the best start. Eventually, a member of staff appeared to show us to our room, pointing out that although our key fob said 4, we were in fact in room 5! The room was chilly and VERY outdated and shabby, Wallpaper was peeling off the walls, the carpets were rucked and very grubby, the window frames were in desperate need of re-painting and the net curtains were the dirtiest I have ever seen! The bathroom was equally in need of some major updating and was also cold. There was a freestanding electric heater in the bedroom, which we were forced to use as the radiator did not work at all. The bed linen appeared to be clean, but there was no mattress protector/pillow protectors and the pillow (just the one) was lumpy to say the least.
The room, though large, had far too much furniture in it, causing some things to be unusable due to their positioning within the room. (ie: a bedside cabinet prevented one half of the wardrobe from opening and a freestanding dressing table mirror which was too low unless you sat almost with your head on your lap, obscured a larger wall mounted mirror, making both useless!)
Breakfast was between 7.30/8.30 according to the member of staff, although the room info said 7.30/9.00?!
We needed to make an early start, so we arrived downsatirs at 7.30 sharp, to find several items missing/not ready and staff who seemed most annoyed that we, together with another man were there!
The tea (when we eventually recieved it) was weak and served in two very small pots. We were then informed that if we wanted anything cooked, we would have to wait for about 15 minutes as nothing was ready! This information was given with apparent annoyance that we might even be considering hot food! Clearly not a 7.30 start then!
The full English was not bad, although not generous. My husband ordered poached eggs on toast with bacon. We were somewhat bemused then to only recieve 2 slices of toast between us! Well, I say toast, a more accurate description would have been 2 slices of stale, value and thin sliced bread which had no colour to them whatsoever! I can't imagine why we would have asked for more toast, but we did - we were given 2 more pieces of the same. It was not even warm and the waitress effectively threw them down on the table. There was only one flavour of jam on offer and no marmalade.
Such a shame, the hotel's proximity to Oxford itself is perfect, but the management clearly lack enthusiasm, imagination and drive and it would seem care nothing for their paying guests.
Do not waste your money here, there are plenty of better value hotels where I'm sure you would be made to feel welcome!

Room Tip: Choose a room somewhere else!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank poppy-ronnie

Travelers are raving about these Oxford hotels

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2013

The B&B was good but nothing amazing. Clean and comfortable but needing updating and a thorough cleaning. The bed was pretty old but comfortable enough and the shower was clean but horribly slow to heat up and could not clean the shampoo out of my hair. The staff was friendly enough and accommodating. The food was good in the evening, I had the Chicken Korma and it was excellent, but the breakfast was nothing special. All in all, a good place to rest, safe, secure and clean-ish, just nothing to write home about. Also, its about a 45 minute walk into the centre of town and about a ten minute walk to the bus stop and hop-on-hop-off station (a pretty nice walk), and the scenery around the hotel is beautiful.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Wiltshire
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I was stuck for some available accommodation at short notice as my wife had been admitted to hospital in Oxford. I stayed here for one night, hoping to return home the following day. However, circumstances dictated that I stayed on a further day. Hence I am able to give my experience of two of the single rooms available.
The first night, upon arrival, I was disappointed not to have been shown the room beforehand and was told that the room was "up the stairs and around the corner" Perhaps as I struggled up the stairs with my suitcase and walking stick some help may have been offered but sadly no. As I entered the room I was aware of one of the staff bounding up the stairs to warn me that the door jambs had recently been painted. Just as well I hadn't lent against them!
Room 4 was small but cozy although the décor was very dated. The furniture had to be out of the 70s and the chrome in the bathroom was extremely rusty and well past its prime.The one pillow on offer had no substance to it whatever and every time I turned during the night the bed would rock and roll. The following morning the TV remote suddenly decided to stop working and with no means of changing channels on the TV itself, I had to switch off at the plug. Breakfast, if choosing the full English, was one egg, one shrivelled-up sausage, one rasher of VERY salty bacon, toast, beans and half a tomato.
Unable to find alternative, suitable accommodation for the second night I reluctantly booked a second night. This time I was allocated a different room (Room 7) and although it had a larger bathroom this was not an advantage as the following morning was cold and with no heating in the room (the radiators appeared to have had their adjustment valves decommissioned and all they would do was turn, turn, turn) I was reluctant to take a shower. I eventually plucked up courage only to find that the shower pressure was so feeble that I had to stand almost against the wall as it little more than dribbled over me. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for a romantic getaway but as budget accommodation it works well enough. If only the owners would update the room interiors.

Room Tip: For solo travellers...Room 4 is small, Room 7 has larger bathroom
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed October 9, 2013

The Tree Inn at Iffley is a long taxi ride from Oxford. It is essentially a large pub that seems to serve mainly indian food and therefore we ate in Oxford. The rooms are very poor. The one we had was spacious but tired beyond belief. The kettle was falling apart, the shower nozzle in the bathroom fell off the wall when touched, the corner bath was so ancient its skin was peeling, the door lock did not work properly. The breakfast was parsimonious and not well cooked. And yet, this was the second most expensive place we stayed in on our trip. Not worth the money and would never consider it again

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mel B
Uttoxeter
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Had a lovely weekend break at the tree hotel, Iffley, it's true the rooms
could do with quite a bit of modernising but overall it was clean, tidy,and comfy beds.
The staff were very friendly and helpful, we had half board and the food was lovely, we tried the Indian dishes both nights and couldn't fault them at all. The location is excellent just a half hour walk by the river into Oxford, passing two lovely pubs where the food also looked good, the prince of Wales (another friendly owner) and the Isis farmhouse,very rustic but serves the beer out of barrels which my husband loved. Breakfasts were really good, cereals,fruit,yoghurt,then full English if you want I opted for mushroom omelette one morning and scrambled eggs and smoked salmon the next very tasty. Hope to stay again soon.

Room Tip: Just check on their website when you book that they haven,t got any special event on, as on the Satu...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We booked for one night and extended to stay for two, eating dinner at the hotel both nights as well. The Family room was spacious and comfortable. Spotlessly clean linen. Decor was a little tired but overall good. Meals were fresh and interesting, varied menu. Parking was safe. Wi-fi worked well. Staff were warm and welcoming. Lovely quiet location, perfect for overcoming jetlag! Close to Oxford without the hassle of being in the centre of town. Would recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family