“Poor Hotel”

The Tree Hotel at Iffley
Ranked #46 of 85 Oxford B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Booked this hotel as we had to visit Oxford to go to a funeral. Looked good on the website.
Parking was available so no problem there. No real reception area. Room was large with bay windows - 1 double bed and 2 single in room. Paper on ceiling was peeling off; curtains were not very clean; paintwork was not good - scratched off in many places; carpet had seen better days. The bathroom was quite dark even with a light on - the shower was a joke - the base was crumbling away and had huge water marks; the shower itself produced water as if from a tap rather than a shower - my husband used it but I refused! We did not have dinner there but breakfast was not impressive. A full English consisted of one rasher of streaky bacon (usually I use this for putting over a roasting chicken) one sausage and one fried egg accompanied by a slice of warm bread posing as toast. We were given a pot of hot water and told to use tea bags to make our own tea! The selection of fruits consisted of around 6 grapes and 3 pears. The only good thing about this hotel was its location - definitely not worth £89 per night.

Room Tip: Check Trip Advisor first!!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Fijilass

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Well, my partner and I stayed on the Sunday of the Wimbledon final, and we found the place friendly, charming and perfectly acceptable for an out-of-town B&B.

We arrived before the check-in time of 2pm (wanting to be there in time for the start of the tennis final), but there was no problem letting us into our room early.

It was a good-sized, airy room with a huge bed, and a large bathroom. The decor was a a little tired, but it was comfortable and clean (I'm not sure what rooms 'steveandkate' saw to say the rooms were 'dirty with no clean bedding', but ours was absolutely fine).

We didn't see any staff on mobile phones. They were all friendly and accomodating.

We were going to a concert at the O2 Academy, about a mile or so from the hotel, so the location was perfect for us, and it's on a quiet road, so if that's an issue for you, this is a good venue.

Overall, we were happy, felt it offered value for money and we'd be happy to return and recommend to others. If you prefer everything to be 'new and shiny', rather than with a bit of character, this probably isn't for you though.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bowjam70
Reviewed July 8, 2012

This hotel is one of the worst places I have ever been to and I strongly advise anyone considering booking here to look elsewhere.

The hallway is full of clutter, the rooms are dirty with no clean bedding, staff spend all their time on mobile phones, there was no help offered with baggage, we weren't shown to our room, windows were wide open on arrival on what was a wet and cold day, curtains and furnishings were dirty and in desperate need of updating and the hairdryers are like something from 1949.

All of this may sound bad but to make it worse the whole place smells of curry - a dish I love but something you don't want in your hotel room when you're planning a romantic mini break. I was so horrified by the standard that I refused to stay and my husband and I left within half an hour of seeing our room.

I have travelled to lots of places around the world and have no problem with a basic stand of accomodation but this is possibly one of the worst hotels I have seen, anywhere in the world. For £90 I think it fair to expect a clean, comfortable and warm room.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2012

We were a group of friends travelling to Oxford for an overnight stay. There was an 8 month pregnant friend and her little daughter - firstly, heaters weren't working, and as the hotel management could not get in people to repair them on time they provided small portable heaters even 2 of which were not coming close to heating our room. I had to put on my woollen cap after about 5 minutes in bed and wore my jeans to bed. Secondly, we were hung up on when trying to ask the owner/manager for a solution and on second thoughts (perhaps - after mentioning that we would give this feedback on trip advisor) he called back at midnight saying he could look for some alternative, while he felt he had done enough. It was clearly too late to move. Finally and what was most apalling, was the brusque attitude that Mr T Bawa, the owner/manager displayed - telling us to do what we wanted as he was ready to go to any court. Clearly there was absolutely no concern whatsoever about the predicament that we were put in - no attempt at finding alternate reservations or offer of compensation of any kind. Perhaps now on hindsight we shouldn't have paid the full amount that we did. I had recommended this place to my friends as I had stayed here over March 2007 and had had a lovely experience both with the place and the staff, they had gone out of their way to do a lovely vegetarian hot breakfast for our friends who were then travelling with us. Clearly all that has changed. I hope the Oxford council gets to know of how its excellent reputation is being marred by the likes of the people who run The Tree Hotel at Iffley. The only person who looked concerned and apologised in a heartfelt manner was the lady serving us breakfast the next day!

Room Tip: Only choose hotels approved either by AA or UK tourism board - a lesson learnt.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Wanderlust90_80
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We were traveling with a group of friends and were told that the B&B in UK are very good and offer clean rooms, friendly staff and a decent breakfast. Since we were going to be in Oxford for a night, we decided to stay at this place. BIG MISTAKE!

Right from the beginning nothing was right. There was no confirmation mail that was sent and till the last day we were not sure if we had the room, despite assurances from the owner. I would have expected clean and warm rooms but at the time of check-in we were told that the heating is not working! The rooms were shabby and being cold did not help! Though they did arrange heaters for us, but we were just not warm enough.

I would expect that the breakfast would be served for at least 2hrs! However, it is open for only 1hr in the morning. The breakfast spread mentioned cereals, fruits and eggs. However, the spread did not have any fruits. When we asked for some, we were told that they did not have any for that day! We asked for coffee 10mins past the time and were told that we cannot be served, even though the coffee machine was working!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank rga3
Reviewed December 12, 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel with my partner and was very disappointed. The room cost £90 per night, for which I would have expected a much higher standard of accommodation, even in an expensive town like Oxford.

The website makes it look like a lovely country house, but in fact it's rooms above a pub. It is extremely noisy as you can hear everything in the pub below until half 11 when they kick out.

The room itself had clearly not been decorated for a very long time and was very shabby. Everything looked like it was installed about 20 years ago, nothing like the picture on the website! The bathroom had black mould on the ceiling and on the floor (at first look I thought it was the pattern, but it's mould clinging all over the floor) and was generally a bit grubby.

Having said that, I can't fault the friendliness of the staff and the prettiness of the village. The breakfast offered was also very nice. However, to offer value for money they either need to drastically drop the price of carry out a major refurbishment.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Nonj586
Reviewed December 4, 2011

The hotel is a little shabby and is in need of a refurb however it is very cheap for Oxford and is located in a very quiet, pretty village. The walk into Oxford is an idyllic stroll along the river which we really enjoyed. The breakfast that was included was very good, we never ate in the restaurant in the evening. Overall, it was a good value option but I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends