“Bad experience”

Book In Advance
More Info
$61.27*
and up
Full-Day Tour of Windsor, Eton and Oxford from...
Ranked #31 of 187 things to do in Oxford
More attraction details
Owner description: This museum boasts an unrivalled collection of more than 10,000 scientific instruments ranging from the time of antiquity to the early twentieth century.
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Visited the museum in May 2014 with my husband and 2 daughters, 8 and 6. As soon as we entered the museum we were followed by a security guard. Do not know why unless they took a dislike to my husbands shaved head, as when he walked in the guard could not stop following him. My children were doing the activity sheets which they always do in museums and luckily did not know what was going on. Made me and my husband feel very uncomfortable and I have never experienced this in my life. It was a shame as we would have loved to stay longer and taken a better look round but didn't feel welcome.

2  Thank fuller37
in 28 reviews
"microscope"
in 32 reviews

Reviewed May 2, 2014

Cool little place to pass half an hour in a lovely part of the City.
Friendly staff - especially the man downstairs who knows everything about everything and is very entertaining!

Must see Albert's Blackboard in the Basement.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

I liked it, my wife slightly less, but I am afraid it is quite typical. Beautiful collection of historical science toys - sorry - science tools. In a historical building with old wooden creaking stairs, from astronomy, to navigation, chemistry etc etc I like it very much.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

A beautiful collection of scientific instruments. Orrerys, microscopes, telescopes and much more. And it's all free. (but please leave a donation)

See more reviews
Reviewed April 14, 2014

The museum feels a bit like a Tardis - the cram so much "stuff" in. Not sure entirely what order (if any) they are in, but somehow that doesn't matter.

The whole building shows how important Oxford has been in terms of scientific discoveries over the years and individual exhibits really make the place feel personal.

I was fortunate enough to arrive in time for a free tour, which only takes 20 minutes but really enhanced the experience, the volunteer guide's love of the place really came through.