“Exhibition about storms..possibly?”
Review of Modern Art Oxford

Modern Art Oxford
Ranked #75 of 185 things to do in Oxford
More attraction details
Owner description: Modern Art Oxford is one of the UK's leading galleries for the presentation of modern and contemporary visual art, with an established international reputation. Our programme includes temporary exhibitions by artists from all over the world, live events, educational and family activities. Admission to the exhibitions is free.Opening hours: Tuesday and Wednesday: Galleries, Shop, Café & Bar 10am-5pm Thursday, Friday and Saturday: Galleries 10am-7pm, Shop, Café & Bar 10am-10pm Sunday: Galleries, Shop, Café & Bar 12pm-5pmMonday: ClosedCafé & Bar:During the summer, the Café & Bar is located in The Yard, a sheltered 'indoor-outdoor' arcade designed by dRMM Architects and artist Richard Woods, on St Ebbe's Street.Access:Full access by lift to all public floors. Guide dogs, hearing and registered assistance dogs are welcome. Exhibition and programme guides are available in large print on request. A portable induction loop is available from the Front Desk. There is an accessible toilet in the basement. There are three parking spaces for badge holders in St. Ebbe’s Street. Additional parking is available at the Westgate Shopping Centre.
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I was really disappointed by the exhibition I visited on March 15th. I left not even entirely sure what I just witnessed and how it really fell into the category of 'art'. I'm open minded and often enjoy the obtuse quality of art forms, however this exhibition just felt like a series of blank rooms. I found more meaning and enjoyment in the gift shop.

2  Thank Xofd
in 3 reviews
in 8 reviews
in 3 reviews

Reviewed February 26, 2014

As an art student, I've been to countless art galleries and museums across the country and was excited to finally have the change to come here. I was very disappointed. The gallery is tiny and filled with outdated 'contemporary' art that looked like it was done decades ago. The fact the gallery is small is no excuse because I've been to shows that take place in rooms half the size. I will go there again in the hopes they get a better exhibition, but I'm not holding much hope.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Modern Art Oxford is in the centre of the city near the Westgate shopping centre and the town hall. You may need directions if you are a first time visitor to the city but it isn't hard to get at all.

MA Oxford is an interesting venue. It is one of those places whos quality does fluctuate depending on what is there at the time. Sometimes In the past I have gone in and been impressed or at least entertained. Other times though what is on is confusing or uninteresting. It is a bit of a hit and miss so if you do get chance visit it a couple of times before making a solid opinion.

I will say on my most recent visit i was disappointed. It felt the art on display was a bit too obtuse in it's meaning, I couldn't figure out exactly what was the meaning of it all. I also felt that they could make more use of the space; in one room for example was four pieces of artwork where more could have gone. This would increase the staying power of the venue as well.

What I didn't like as well was the way the gallery assistants kept following us around. I understand they must protect the art but moving slowly into the room you have just gone into and loitering around a corner....I felt eyes in the back of my neck and that irritated my friend as well who mentioned it to me after we left.

MA does have potential and we have enjoyed in the past. I will look forward to going again to see the next exhibition but I won't be impressed if the assistants are too bullhorn again to watch our every step.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

A reasonable sized café next to the museum gift shop serving a fairly small selection of soups; sandwiches; salads and cakes. On our visit we had soup, mine a thin but tasty mushroom version, my partner's a wonderfully thick and spicy chilli vegetable. Both well balanced and served with a chosen roll from a delicious selection. The hot drinks were decent, UE Coffee brand.

They are also licensed so sell a couple of brands of beer and wine. They do on occasion have their own beer from hops grown at Rose Hill which is great. There is a decent outside area for the sunny days and of course this is a superb art gallery which is still responsible for my favourite art installation ever This House is Made of Books by Janet Cardiff and George Bures Miller.

Entry to the museum is free but it is a charity and donations are well received.

Service: 3/5