“Cozy hotel”

Ranked #24 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Diest, Brabant, Belgium
“Cozy hotel”
Reviewed October 16, 2011

We stayed one night in this hotel, to conclude our trip to the Cotswolds and visit Oxford. We chose the hotel because it was close to the city centre and had parking space behind the hotel. The hotel is older but cozy and we had a nice, clean room (3 adults). Very nice breakfast! The only thing that bothered us was the noise from the traffic outside, but then again, we live very quiet and are not used to it. I would certainly recommend it!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Im the sort of person who has difficulty sleeping if im not in a place i consider 'home'. Be that my actual home, or my university dorm room. I dont go on holiday and i dont sleep in hotels usually because i simply cannot rest in them. This hotel was different to everything i have experienced before. I have stayed a total of three times so far, due to a problem with my second year uni accomodation, and each time has been a pleasure. The rooms are warm, clean and well supplied. The staff simply could not do enough for me, and i felt welcome and looked after. The bathrooms were excellent, even having bathtubs which is something less common in hotels these days. I really cannot recommend this place enough, whether you're in Oxford for a holiday or just passing through, you will be welcome here. I was sad to see an extremely negative review about the first room i stayed in. I can say i had none of the problems that reviewer seemed to have. Once again, my highest recommendations for the River Hotel. Warm, friendly and a delight to stay in, with great views of the river thrown in.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We came from Australia and had a 3 week stay in the River Hotel and enjoyed it very much. The room was very clean and comfortable. The staff are friendly and helpful.The hotel does a very good breakfast. A good feature is the location. It is located on the river, close to the railway station and buses, also a short walk to the city centre. The rates are low by Oxford standards. If you are looking for a hotel with older character and charm, I would highly recommend the River Hotel.

Room Tip: lower rooms avoid stairs
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank collin j
St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Oxford has expensive hotels, but that’s not an excuse to rip people off, which I’m afraid the River Hotel does. I was expecting much more for my money. If it were half the price I'd reconsider, but £77 per night is just crazy.

The shower was possibly the worst part as the water was either scalding hot or freezing cold and had very low pressure. I ended up washing my hair under the tap! The bed was really uncomfortable (mushy with wear) and when my friend opened the wardrobe a moth flew out! My bathroom hadn’t been cleaned in the day (quite a big thing to miss) and the staff were consistently unfriendly (I was ordered to leave my room while the extra cleaning took place – not what I wanted after a whole day of walking around).

The breakfast was good though, as it was plentiful and tasty. The location was good too, being next to the station and a short walk to the centre. But, sadly, these are the only good points. This could be such a great place, but sadly there doesn’t seem to be (and hasn’t been in the past 30 years) any interest in renovation. Some day, someone could do wonders with it. It may be one of the cheaper places to stay in Oxford, but I’m not staying there again.

Likes
Breakfast
Location

Dislikes
Very poor value for money, and feel ripped off!
Dated room
Not very clean

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank Jesse1551

Travelers are raving about these Oxford hotels

B.C. Canada
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Very comfortable stay here. 3 of us . My son-in-law, my grandson and myself. No prior booking. We got the last two rooms, in the Annexe across the street, as the hotel was hosting a large family wedding party. We were grateful that they found us room quite late in the evening. The trip acroos to the rooms was not a challenge, and rooms were very well appointed and comfortable. Excellent advice provided on dining possibilities which we followed up on.
Breakfast was comprehensive and very tasty, and as almost always in th U.K., included in he price. The dining room overlooked the Thames, my grandson's first view of that river, with its swans and barges and joggers and cyclists. He was fascinated, as was I, having lived in Oxford briefly as a very young child myself. Good value for money; it was high season after all. Would stay here again when I can afford to return to the U.K.

Room Tip: Only experienced the Annexe, but i would guess that some rooms in the main hotel would overlook the...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank midastaxi
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 5, 2011

I lived in Oxford for 18 months in 2007-08 and occasionally return for business. My stays vary from a few days to a few weeks and I always stay at The River Hotel. The location is great and I've always found the rooms to be clean and neat.

This is not your standard cookie-cutter Holiday Inn, Ibis, or Novotel. It is an old building with that quaint feel of years gone by and it is staffed by people that provide the kind of outstanding old-fashioned service that has long since disappeared at most establishments.

For example, I returned to the hotel after midnight last Saturday, just as the owner was leaving. She had already locked up and was walking out the door. She inquired about my depature the next morning and as soon as she realized it would be too early for breakfast, she re-opened everything to check me out and to prepare breakfast for me! Try to imagine this happening anywhere else for only £77/night.

I fly ~90K miles/year and have stayed in hotels all over Europe, Asia, and the U.S. Most of the time, you get what you pay for. I find The River Hotel to be an exceptional value.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank FreqSpaceTraveler
Otaki Beach, New Zealand
Reviewed August 26, 2011

The River hotel was a great place to stay, clean room with lovely atmosphere of old world, and right next to the river for taking a relaxing walk. Friendy staff and helpful, we were able to leave a bags in a locked area while we shopped on our last day. We traveled by train. The breakfast was both continental and cooked with a good range of choice, well prsented. Over all a comfortable clean hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends