“Hotel Galaxie”

and 1 more site!
Galaxie Hotel
Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights just for a break. The hotel is clean and the reception staff were helpful. Our double room, facing the main road, was equipped, for some reason, with a kitchenette. We knew that it would be noisy from the traffic but I need to be cool. As there was no air conditioning, I had to leave the windows open. The noise was unbearable so We closed them. Trouble is, the single glazed windows offer no resistance to the noise, so we had a couple of near sleepless nights as students and families came back in at all hours.

Bathroom was okay but we were only given 2 small shower towels: no hand towels or mat to stand on. Fair enough, we asked the manager for extra towels and duly received them the next day. Another issue is the glass, swing bathroom door. Twice I walked into it and it offers little privacy if you see what I'm getting at! Oh, and the wifi connection was only reliable by the door entrance!

Breakfast was in a pleasant conservatory but the staff in there were so miserable, as they were throughout the hotel (except receptionist and manager), that the atmosphere was really poor. The choice of food available for an 'English' breakfast was poor and the bacon was the cheap stuff. On the second morning, there was virtually no fruit or fresh cereal to be had - very disappointing.

So, in all, we both felt that the hotel let itself down with the basics although it wasn't bad enough to ruin a great weekend!

Room Tip: Get a room to the rear of the building
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank oliastu

Reviewed June 24, 2014

We were in Oxford for a wedding and stayed for two nights at the Galaxie parking was no problem the welcome on arrival was excellent, we paid a little more a large double and it was a big airy room with a great ensuite loved the power shower. Breakfast was very good and a bonus was the lovely garden. Would definitely stay here again and recommend to friends.

Room Tip: Room at the rear large double
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 788Sandra
Reviewed May 21, 2014

The location is excellent with a bus stop outside and good relations with taxi firms so you can leave your car in the admittedly rather full car park throughout your visit if you want. It is also near the excellent selection of Summertown shops, so one can pick up a tasty picnic (Lebanese or M&S for example) and have it in the garden. You can also watch tv or read the papers on a couple of settees next to the breakfast area during the day which is not always the case with b&bs. As other reviews have said the staff are very helpful and the stylish rooms are clean. Our room and bathroom were large and faced to the rear with big windows, the only downsides being the rigid early (for us) hours for breakfast from 7-9am, almost no hanging space in the wardrobe which was taken up with a big fridge, and the potential to hit your head going down steps to the bathroom. We would definitely go again though.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 464JudyLea464
Reviewed May 18, 2014

I stayed at the hotel for 8 nights, which is a long-ish time to be away from home. Though I must say the room i was giving was quite small and slightly cramped; I easily overlooked this because I thought the staff were very kind and friendly. In terms of cleanliness; i think the place was spotless. The bathroom and showers worked well. I did think that the water was really hard though and I at first I thought I was imagining it. A few of my colleagues did confirm that this was indeed the case. the breakfast was hearty and its really nice to see smiling service staff first thing in the morning. We had a number of indian and african colleagues and I have had an experience in the past with other hotels when service staff did not really understand that our diets are perhaps slightly different. The staff at galaxie were very obliging. The wifi was really good too. The hotel itself is really well connected with the center and there is a bus stop just outside. I definitely recommend the galaxie for business. solo travellers. My room was too small for two - I am only guessing there were larger rooms for families etc. I did meet the owner and he was a really lovely man.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank figgyboy
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Very cute b&b in Oxford. My room including the bedroom seemed as if it was brand new. Toiletries were provided and the room and bathroom were very well cleaned. Free wifi was available in the rooms.The best thing about Galaxie was the breakfast and the friendly family-like atmosphere between the staff who worked in the kitchen preparing and serving breakfast. Its good value for money and especially the great breakfast that included amongst others freshly made classic english breakfast with eggs, fried and scrabbled, bacon, mushrooms, baked beans and freshly cut fruits, would definitely be good reasons for going back to Galaxie when in Oxford again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Marnes81
Reviewed May 9, 2014

It is excellent for its location, its services cafeteria, breakfast, room with its clean kitchenette equipment, its personal. I would not want to go, but I have to. I think I'm going to miss the place.

Room Tip: Even though the hotel is situated in one of the street with vehicular traffic more, peace is everywh...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Here's what was good - rather new and clean. Location was fine not exceptionally good or bad.
Here's what we didn't like so u can decide for yourself
1) Decor - think English meets Asian meets Dutch meets modern - a visual mess
2) Room size vs. cost- was told we had a junior suite/triple. What we really got was a small double that they jammed a cot into and charged us for a triple. So small we couldn't move - and we had just come from traveling in Paris and Amsterdam. This was like a tight closet. Also was an attic room level with no was to cool room without leaving windows open - it was only 50 degrees F/10C - can't imagine in summer months.
3) Noise- with or without window open was noisy - room was on street side. Due to attic location and no way to cool room had to sleep (or try to sleep) with window open
4) Quality of workmanship - everything was just cheaply done
5) Beds and pillows - so uncomfortable. Our double bed was three different thin mattresses piled on top of one another - with the bottom being twins, so all night they would keep separating
6) Bathrooms - I'm a size 6 and 5'6" and could barely turn in the shower stall (no tub). Only small thin bath towels provided - no hand towels or face cloths.
7) breakfast included - but only available from 7:30 to 9:00 even on weekends. Standard stuff.
Find another place to stay!!!

Room Tip: Don't come
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family