“Hotel was fine, but room was SO dark” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jurys Inn Oxford

Jurys Inn Oxford
Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
“Hotel was fine, but room was SO dark”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

In essence the room was as expected, but the lighting was absolutely terrible. So difficult to apply make up. The cable for the hairdryer was not long enough to reach the mirror.
We were there to also attend a Christmas party and the food was good. Breakfast was generally okay but the eggs were rubbery and there was a shortage of Danish pastries. Sausages and bacon were good.
Problems at check in and checkout as they got my tariff wrong both times. The matter was corrected but annoying nonetheless.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
oxfordgm1, Manager at Jurys Inn Oxford, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Thank you for your feedback, we acknowledge your comments and will review these in detail to make improvements where possible.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Thai first
Newbury
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

Arrived having booked two rooms. One for me, another for a friend. When checking in, they only had one room booked... upon producing my confirmation e-mail, I was given the other room, but with no offer of an apology.

The room was clean, but really warm - opening the window was fine but there was a loud Christmas party going on close by within the hotel, so you couldn't keep the window open.

Bed was comfortable with extra pillows available.

Breakfast was very nice... buffet style with hot and cold options. Waiting staff were a bit eager to take your plate away, even when you hadn't finished, but they did look a bit bored...

Apart from the mix-up with the booking, a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank martynuk2003
Thank you for your feedback, we acknowledge your comments and will review these in detail to make improvements for the future.
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

I booked a spa weekend through a third party website.

At arrival they couldn't find my booking, then the duty manager managed to find us. Got to the room and we found the room to be an average sized room, double bed. It was slightly old looking but it had everything we pretty much needed over the weekend. The package promised robes and slippers which were not in the room initially so I had to call reception to order a pack.

The deal included dinner and breakfast which we thought was absolutely amazing! On the first night I found hair in my food, so I thought to let a staff member know so they kindly gave us free drinks.

The spa massages were amazing... Really friendly staff although they gave us the wrong booking times over the phone and actually had us booked on the system for an hour after on both days. This was a spa for two and I was disappointed that I had to wait an hour for my other half before I could go get my massage. I would have liked for us to be together as this is a couples spa weekend! ... Again the staff were really friendly.

In conclusion... The restaurant and the spa staff were amazing.. The hotel itself I would say is an average 3 star and not 4 ... But we had an amazing weekend overall but if your going with your other half I would recommend a hotel or spa which treats you together at the same time.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay with us, I am pleased that overall you had an enjoyable experience here at The Oxford Hotel. The team were delighted to receive your recognition of their service. We are grateful for the critique and will act upon the points raised.
Croydon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

Just came back from a weekend there & overall we found that the room was clean, good facilities, the breakfast that was included in the package was good & offered a good variety, but the customer service at reception was poor and unhelpful. No guides were provided upon arrival and most of the reception staff looked bored. Plus there was a strange smell around the reception area.

Apart from that, I would recommend staying at this hotel as it was clean and only 10 minutes by bus from the city centre.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Lanark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

This hotel really has the potential to be a good place to stay, however, like many other hotels that I have used within the Puma Hotels Group I found it to be lacking on the small details that make a big dfifference.
Firstly; the staff were all excellent, no complaints as to the level of service received. The room I had was nice enough, however, the cleanliness was poor with thick dust lingering on the skirting boards and on the carpet edges, cobwebs hanging from the ceilings and stuck to the walls and dust covering some of the surfaces in the room too.
I used the gym and the room service and both have to be commended; the gym was well eqwuipped and checking in and out was easy; although having to walk through a busy bar area when dripping in sweat to exit the gym was a bit strange, I wasn't bothered by it... the occupants in the bar may have had other thoughts!! The room service was prompt, the food good if a little expensive, what room service isn't?
The breakfast was very poor the next day with the cooked option being of particularly poor quality, the dining room felt like something from a Premier Inn; it was lifeless and dimly lit and not what I expected from a hotel touting 4 stars. Even the cold buffet at breakfast was unimaginative and basic, I really expected more given the cost.
Overall, good, however, small things let it down. I would, however, give it a second chance if I have to stay in the area again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

Couldn't sleep as a Christmas do was on until 1am which would have been fine had our room not been right by it. We were not advised of this and when it reached midnight and the music didn't turn off ( which most hotels restrict loud music till) I rang reception to find out when it would be, I got a response of 1am but nothing more, I at least expected an (is everything ok?) or some concern over how a guests stay was as clearly the music was affecting us but nothing.

I stay in a lot of hotels for work and when I later asked for a small bottle of tap water to take to my room this wasn't possible, you have to purchase overpriced water from the bar. I also asked for fresh milk but this seemed like a chore. Usually a can-do, no ask is to big, attitude is the way, even in holiday inns which this is v.comparable to.

We got this on a deal but it wasn't even worth that.

We were celebrating our engagement too and it wasn't the best place to stay for this is hindsight.

• Stayed December 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Oxford hotels

Suffolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this Hotel on 19th & 20th December room 269. What a lovely place. Room was lovely & clean & in a very quiet area, bed very comfortable and had free Internet. Breakfast was very good. All self service and plenty of choice. Had an evening meal on the Friday which was very nice. Staff where amazing so helpful and went out of their way to help us a few times. Enjoyed the leisure facilities too. I even got asked went I went swimming by the staff if I would like an extra towel for my hair. I have stayed in a lot of Hotels with a pool & have never been asked that before. Went into the City Center which was very enjoyable. Got a taxi both ways which was very easy. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Hanad9294
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay with us, I am pleased to hear you had an enjoyable experience here at The Oxford Hotel. The team were delighted to receive your recognition of their service, and pleased to be able to make your stay a memorable one.

Nigel Hadfield